1. replace engine (2 reports)
1997 Ford Explorer engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1997 Ford Explorer:

1997 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Jan 062009

Extremely daunting to fix, gave my mechanic nightmares!

- , Melbourne, VIC, Australia

Oct 172006

Explorer Sport

I have around 100,000 miles on my Explorer. My husband was on his way home from work and my car started making a horrible noise, he said it sounded like marbles being shaken in a can. We had it towed in and was told the tensioner chain broke and it ruined the engine. Ford wants around $5200.00 to fix it. My husband works with a woman that had the same thing happen to her Explorer and was a newer year. This is our 3rd Ford vehicle the other two were Tauruses and the Transmission went out on our 2003 with only 63.000 miles and we had to pay to have it fixed. We don't think we'll ever buy a Ford again, they don't stand behind their products.

- , Holly, MI, USA

Aug 152006

Explorer Sport

bought car in 2000 recall never recieved 6 months later. the called it an enhancement 00M12. 2.5 years later tensioner fails blows chain through valve case cover, oil pressure dropped engine is shot. it also has a recall on intake gasket which is bad. i also had to pay for the recall on the tires. now here are the other problems with it.

00v168000.... day time running lights