1997 Ford Explorer engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1997 Ford Explorer:

1997 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Jun 172006

Explorer XL

i have posted 2 other complaints and now this is my third i am so upset after spending thousands in repairs to my explorer and now i cannot run it more than a mile or so without it breaking down and i refuse to spend another dime in car repairs i have had so much replaced in it that it is not even funny anymore just plain sad and never notified about anything wrong with it besides the tires people never buy a ford they are awful

- , Pasadena, MD, USA

May 272004

Explorer XLT

I read consumer reports they suggested the SOHC engine, I bought at 2 yrs old from Ford Dealer, also purchased the extended warranty. I was totally happy, never had a problem, until the warranty ran out. Then my mechanic made me aware of 2 recalls on my engine, that I never received in the mail. I called Ford they said too bad, I called the dealer I bought from, he told me they cost over $2,200.00 to fix, or it will screw up engine bad. No one can explain why I never got recall notices, Ford mechanic said they were the only 2 on my car, that is a lie, I also have swaybar issues, and did he forget about the tires. I bought used & it needed new tires so I replaced them before the recall and I was OK with that, but now I'm mad as hell. I purchased & planned on keeping for awhile, because Consumer Reports said this was the engine to get. Consumer Reports is still saying this is the one to get, I think they have a deal with Ford. I want to make all older Explorer owners aware if you have this good peppy engine and you bought it used. You may have the same problem.

I don't think Ford tried to notify customers, I have lived at the same address for 15 years, I also live where Explorers are made this didn't make the news like the tires did.

- , Memphis, IN, USA