7.2

2. ford dealer repaired (2 reports)
  3. replaced door latch and inside handle myself (1 reports)
  4. replaced door lock and actuator (1 reports)
  5. wd-40 (1 reports)
1998 Ford Explorer accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Ford Explorer:

1998 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Feb 182007

Explorer V8

This is really an embarrassment whenever my wife or I go somewhere "Alone." I have to walk aroung the vehicle and enter through the passenger side door to reach across and unlock the driver's side door, just so that I can walk back around and get in! Our neighborhood ísn't one we'd trust to leave the vehicle unlocked, either (if you know what I mean). The driver's side rear door is the same, only it won't lock when you use the remote button. Shouldn't this be a recall?

- , Fort Worth, TX, USA

Feb 042007

Explorer

I have the same problem with my doors. To make matters worse, my child safety locks are stuck on, and now my rear passenger side door won't unlock. So I can't access it from the outside either!!! A very aggravating situation!!

- , North Liberty, IA, USA

Dec 072006

Explorer XLT 3.8L

The driver's lock won't pop up (either from the automatic lock buttons inside the vehicle, or from the keyless entry on the outside of the driver door). AND to make matters worse, neither the driver's or passenger's keyholes will let the key turn properly, so I can't even MANUALLY unlock the doors from the outside. So, basically, every time I want to get entry into my vehicle, I have to:

1. Use my key in the pushbutton/keyhole on the rear hatch/door/window in order to pop up the passenger side lock,

2. Open the passenger door, reach across to insert the key in the ignition switch and turn the electrical system on, so I can reach even farther across to open the driver's window, and

3. Go back around to the driver door to alternately go back and forth tapping the unlock button and flicking the door handle until the combination of procedures finally releases the driver's door lock!!!

I've had other vehicles that had OCCASIONAL lock issues, but they were due simply to moisture getting into the keyhole or something like that. I can say with confidence that this issue does goes much deeper -- I am convinced (since having my gripe corroborated with more than a couple of other Ford owners with the same issue) it stems from a defect in either design and/or workmanship of the entire lock linkage system.

- , Hudson, NH, USA

Dec 032006

Explorer V8 5.0L

The drivers side lock will only unlock occasionally. Most times I must pull up on the lock and hit the lock unlock switch multiple times before the door unlocks. It won't even open using the key from outside. I must go into the passenger side and open the drivers window the go to the drivers side and do the lock/unlock routine. I had the solenoid replaced but that wasn't the problem. What to do next?

- , Sewell, NJ, USA