1998 Ford Explorer accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Ford Explorer:

1998 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Sep 242009

Explorer XLT 4.0L Sohc

This site is a godsend. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one with the problem as it has happened now with two of these vehicles. I recently totaled my 1999 XLT in same trim level and the door lock for only the driver door would not operate with the on-door entry system so I had to reach through (I'm tall thank goodness) from the back door and pull the handle to get it to release. I replaced the '99 with a '98 in the same trim level (virtually identical overall including mileage) and BOTH front doors have this issue. It's sporadic at this point, but seems to be something in these vehicles that FORD should recall and fix at no charge. In my part of the country it is $400 to fix EACH SIDE so an $800 fix for something that is a safety issue and could create panic and potential delay in exiting the car in an accident. Thankfully when I rear-ended someone here recently the door opened immediately and everyone was unhurt. I loved my '99 enough to replace it with another one just a year older because overall I love the vehicle and being a larger person (6'4) it fits me really well.

- , Portland, OR, USA