9.0

1998 Ford Explorer electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Ford Explorer:

1998 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Jan 012009

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

My OEM anti-theft alarm (horn-lights) on my 98 Explorer has being going off randomly during days and nights. The only thing that prevents this from happening is to leave it unlocked (has keyless entry and key fobs). If I use the key fob or power door locks to lock it, within 1-3 hours it will go off. It is not caused my water or moisture, because I live in dry, dry, dry Arizona.

I saw a fix on the internet for the same problem on a 2002 Ford Pickup, but the wires in the connector are not the same as mine. It mentioned two connectors behind the left rear door panel where the jack is stored: one 8-wire and one 11-wire. both of mine have more wires than that.

Any mechanic know which one to unclip to disable the alarm?

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jul 312006

Explorer Sport

it so bad i had to pull the horn fuse so now the lights only flash, but even this is a pain. can anyone tell me how to fix or how to disconnect it?

- , Hanover Township, PA, USA