7.0

1. loose connection on crank position sensor (1 reports)
  2. replaced crankshaft location sensor (1 reports)
1998 Ford Explorer engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Ford Explorer:

1998 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Jul 232009

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L V6

Car is OK except that on three occasions it would not start. Once was hundreds of miles away and very frustrating, second and third times in my driveway. First two times I waited a few hours then started with no problem. Third time never started and had it towed to dealership. They diagnosed a bad crankshaft location sensor, replacement less than $300. I should pick it up later today and will add notes about the performance.

Another time I parked the car nose downhill and with less than 1/4 tank of gas. Absolutely would not start until I rolled it to a level spot - then started immediately. I've spoken with 2 other people who had the same problem with this make/model.

Also, the LCD on the radio went out 3 years after I bought it (new), had it replaced under warranty twice but had the same problem again. Too much hassle to deal with it so I just don't have the LCD working. Once in awhile during a long trip (300 miles or more) the LCD comes on and works until I turn the car off, then does not work.

I've had three Japanese cars and two German cars and no problems. This is the only American car I've owned and won't buy another one. Ford, GMC, etc. should stop paying megabucks to their big cheeses and put money into their product. Government bailouts are bull@#$%.

- , Lynnwood, WA, USA

Jul 192009

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L V6

this just happened for the 5th time in 2 mo. if anyone can tell me whats wrong that would be great. seems it always happens when the engine is cold.

Update from Jul 7, 2012: wiggled and pushed on clip for crank position sensor and haven't had a problem in a few years now

- , Seymour, IN, USA