1998 Ford Explorer lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Ford Explorer:

1998 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Mar 242001

Explorer 4WD

Defective turn signals: Turn signals will not stay on. When I approach a turn and attempt to turn on my signal, the lever will not stay down. Subsequently, my signal will not turn on. Service department states that I need to turn my wheel. Well, this occurs 50% of the time. Next, if I get the signal to stay on, as I pull out the signal immediately turns off. I haven't even past the first lane of traffic and the signal goes off. Crossing a four lane road, my signal turns off before I've crossed the second lane towards the center. If somebody doesn't see my signal, when I'm at the stop sign, they don't know which way I'm going. I've expressed my concerns for my safety and liability in an accident with kirkland, wa Ford dealership. Their response after testing the vehicle for a day, is that it is working as designed on both issues. I requested to speak to a service manager later that evening and was invited to come in. When I arrived, the manager suddenly would not make time to meet me.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Oct 282000

Explorer 4WD

15" wheel too small for vehicle, suspension not as stable as a 2000 year model, rear wiper failed 2 times (also failed in 2000 model, ) turn signal cancels too quickly/easily replaced 2 times still lousy, (dot number: Not applic tiresize: 235/75/R15)

- Dumont, NJ, USA

Jan 152000

Turn signals do not work at all. Dealer is not aware of the problem. Problem has not been corrected.

- Castallia, OH, USA

Oct 301998

Explorer 4WD

The turnsignal fails to remain engaged, if the steering wheel is turned slightly when attempting to use signal. I am unable to warn other motorist that I am going to make a turn. Delaer indicated that "all the Explorer do that and Ford does not have a fix for the problem".

- Lexington, KY, USA