1998 Ford Explorer miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Ford Explorer:

1998 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Jun 012007

Explorer 8-cyl

Spare tire lost from lift/hanger. At the time of purchasing new tires I learned my spare tire was missing. The cable used to lift the tire was broken, it did not appear to be cut. I don't know when the tire was lost, but this could be a very serious hazard to other motorists if it happened while driving.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

Oct 012006

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

1998 Ford Explorer radio (electronic, with single cd) display periodically fails to operator. All lighting fades out, cannot cause it to return. No know cause or preceding event... but it might be temperature-related. Radio/cd/tape still functions well. This is an ongoing event. An internet search for comments from other drivers results in many replies, appears this may be more common an occurrence than just me.

- Mckinleyville, CA, USA

Oct 042006

Consumer has given 1998 Ford truck to a family member and wants to update information.

- Martinez, GA, USA

Apr 042006

Explorer 6-cyl

On April 4, 2006, my 1998 Ford Explorer caught fire and was totaled. I arrived at work at approximately 3:15 pm. I went in and went to work. At about 3:55, I was paged over the intercom to get to the North entrance immediately. When I got there the security guards told me that my truck was on fire. As I looked out the doors, the front of my truck was engulfed in flames. The fire department had got there and was in the process of putting the fire out. When the fire was put out, all that was left was a big mess. My truck was gone. The vehicle had been running fine. My cruise control had went out about 1 month prior to the fire. I was unaware of any recalls except for a screw in the drivers seat (which was the only recall letter that I had received.) for days that they can't speak to me about the vehicle or incident because I have an insurance claim and my insurance adjuster says that they won't speak to him either. What are we as consumers supposed to do when the products we purchase, and for the amount they ask for their product, are lost due to the manufacturers defects" how are we as consumers protected"

- Carrollton, GA, USA