- March 4: Ford Agrees to Fix 1,600,000 Cars That 'Limp Home'
- February 8: Ford Wants Class-Action Lawsuit Thrown Out
- February 6: Congrats Chrysler! Most Recalls of 2013
- February 5: Investigation Closed Into Steering Gear Problems in Ford Trucks
- January 21: 10 Out of 11 Minicars Flunk Crash Test
- January 19: Ford Recalls Vehicles for Steering and Windshield Problems
- January 15: Ford Recalls Edge (Again): Gas Leak Could Cause Fire
- January 14: Class-Action Lawsuit Filed Over MyFord Touch Complaints
- January 3: The Worst Cars and Car Problems of 2013
- December 30: Ford Recalls Lincoln MKZ Hybrid For Roll Away Risk
- December 23: The Safest Cars to Drive in 2014
1998 Ford Explorer
Worst 1998 Explorer transmission Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- transmission shifting problem11
- chatter on hard acceleration3
- heavy sound under engine2
- o/d light stays on2
- transmission failure2
- no engine braking in manual 1st gear1
- no reverse1
- transmission overheats1
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission40
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Lever And ...14
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Park/Neutral ...5
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Cooling ...4
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Gear Position ...3
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Torque Converter2
- NHTSA: Power Train: Manual Transmission2
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 1998 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.