1998 Ford Explorer transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Ford Explorer:

1998 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Dec 112007

Explorer XLT 4.0L

Problem most likely caused when sears did a control arm replacement, did not secure front right caliper bolt correctly, right front wheel feel off & some how f@#ked up the transmission & 4 wheel drive...never been the same since. No one has ever been able to correctly identify exactly what happened or how this screwed up the car for ever.

- , Greenville, SC, USA

Apr 282011

Explorer 3.0L

Ihave had this 2002 Ford Taurs for 3-11 and it has only been on the road for 3 months.. I was trying to avoid a slipping transmission and got it serviced and an oil change than all of this has happened I lost my seals in my trans. a week later, then lost trans. fluid and started leaking antifreeze everytime I drove it.. I had these issues fixed. All along still having the original problem.. A surge, a hesitation in taking off with pressing the gas and take off, and even a feeling off a kick in the rear of the car.. While already at a complete stop.. If I did not have my foot pressing real hard on the brake, I could bump into someone elses car.. Like it is wanting to take off while my foot is on the brake... Then a Coolant cap was needed and then my car dies after going to the store, come out try to start the car, all it does is a clicking noise.. I was like, "OH GREAT..THE BATTERY".. NOPE!!! The starter shorted out.. Then while it was being repaired to put a new starter on, It tryed to start on its own!! With no keys in it!! WOW!! It just gets worse and Worse!! Then a couple days later finding out it woould just not cold crank, could jump it off and drive it for an hour, turn it off and it still would not start!! WOW!! Really!!

I have needed a good vehicle for over 4 yrs.. and now look what Im stuck with!! A Big PROBLEM!! So now I buy a new battery!! IT works!!! Yay!! Now I still have the same problem.. A surge, a hesitation on take off... What am I going to do?? I have thought all along it was fuel related!! Everytime I fill the car up with a full tank... it never fails!! Same day or next day it breaks down!! Many people have laughed and chukkled about this.. but it is so, so true!!

So is there any Ford STRONG mechanics out there with any kind of advise?? Please do tell, please share your knowledge with me!! LOL!! I had someone kind of advising me before I go to a mechanic.. being a woman and always getting snubbed by men and there knowledge.. I enjoy a car, I love to drive a car!! As long as it will stay running and drive down the road!! I have 2 kids that are always with me & being subjected to all of this rif faf!! I want to feel safe with them out there on the road, not worrying about if I can press my toe down on the gas pedal and take off!! No seriously!! I need any help or suggestion!! Thanks to all that do!! ;} Kat***

- , Kennesaw, GA, USA

Mar 182007

Explorer ES 4.0

Upon hard acceleration, the transmission develops a noise like that of a chain trying to jump a sprocket. Can someone tell me if this is in the Transfer case or the Transmission and how can this be fixed.

- , Renton, WA, USA