9.3

$3,000.00

1. new transmission (1 reports)
  3. rebuild transmission (1 reports)
1998 Ford Explorer transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Ford Explorer:

1998 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Jun 282007

Explorer XLT 4.0L 6

I really loved that truck when it worked right ,would go through any amount of snow and never got stuck, but when the tranny stared to slip and just went, like that, never made it home. I thought ok I'll get it rebuilt and then I know what I have. 6 month later it happen again and the tranny guy told me that a small plastic part inside broke and had to be rebuilt. He only charged me half price this time, nice of him.

One year later it happen again and spoke to the tranny guy and he said that the problems is that Ford put in a small tranny "experiment for that year". I tried to get hold of Ford but no reply. So I sold it and never again will I deal with Ford. They have lost my business and my son in law had the same problem with his truck, he also will not deal with Ford again.

- , Brookfield, NS, Canada

May 232012

Explorer LX 4.0L

This is the 2nd Ford Explorer that I have had the transmission go. I had no warning this time! I never took the old saying for anything other than Chevy lovers making fun, but now I am really seriously thinking about that. Found On the Road DEAD. Exactly where my car is now.

- , Stanley, NC, USA

Jan 272012

Explorer XLT 5 L

I have always had fords and had good luck with them. Way too few miles on this car to have a complete transmission failure. I also have a 2002 Ranger Pickup that needed a new transmission at 65000 miles, that is a manuel transmission. I really hate the idea of buying a foreign vehicle, but if the U.S. car companies are going to make garbage i will have to go that route.

- , Longmont, CO, USA