1998 Ford Explorer wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Ford Explorer:

1998 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 16 of 17)

Jun 012000

Explorer

We were driving on hwy. 50 East in sacramento, ca when we heard a noise, then the car started vibrating and weaving. We pulled over on the side of the road and discovered that the tire had blown. Took the car to a Firestone dealership and had the tire changed to the same exact tire. We were not given any information concerning the history of these tires.( dot number: Tire size: P235/75R15 )

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Aug 052000

Explorer 4WD

After reading an article in the local newspaper regarding Firestone tires on Ford Explorer, I scheduled an appointment with ted wiens Firestone (3841 E. craig road, las vegas, nv --702-644-3384) on Aug 5, 2000 to determine the safety of the wilerness at tires installed on my Ford Explorer. After being assured the tires were completely safe I left the store only to get a blowout that same day. The blowout occurred on the left rear wheel while driving approximately 55-60 mph on a smooth highway at approximately 9pm. I appreciate the offer from Firestone to check the tires, however, I question their ability to determine the tires safety based on my blowout happening the same day. I would like to register my complaint at this time, not only concerning the tires themselves, but also Firestone's inadequate ability to conduct a comprehensive check of the tires. Please feel free to call anytime 702-396-3803. 21 deaths is enough.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jan 012000

Explorer

Two tires failed internaly, reported to dealer, rotated to rear, further reviewe on my part decided to replace with non-Firestone( dot number: )

- Garden Grove, CA, USA

Jul 152000

Explorer

The tires look fine (plenty of tread). I have my car serviced as Ford suggests (they send a reminder letter) - this includes tire rotations, alignment etc. The damaged tires look like retreads, though I purchased the car new and the tire warranty indicates 6 years or 2/32nds of an inch of tread depth - neither of which had been reached. I have replaced all 4 tires, however I have kept the old ones. Firestone has requested we send back the damaged ones so they may determine if a reimbursment is warranted. When we called Firestone/cerritos (8/1) they insisted the tires had too many miles and were not defective (they didn't see the tires) - after not accepting that response and persisting they were defective, we were given a toll free number to Firestone. Firestone mailed us a claim form with instructions. Should we proceed with completing the claim and send back the tires?( dot number: Vdhlipy487 tire size: P235/75R15 )

- Whittier, CA, USA

Jul 212000

Explorer

Consumer was traveling on highway on March 29, there was an intermittent problem with ABS brake system. She was approaching red light, and when she went to apply brakes, brake pedal went all the way to the floor. Consumer took vehicle to the dealership, and problem couldn't be duplicated. Brakes felt like a sponge, and consumer was forced to put vehicle in park, and use emergency brake to stop. Consumer states Firestone tires dot W2hl, tires make thumping noises and Firestone dealer will not replace tires because they are not on recall.

- Ft Meyers, FL, USA

Apr 272000

Explorer 4WD

No summary listed for above vehicle.( dot number: Tire size: P235/75R15 )

- Hastings, MN, USA

Jul 012000

Explorer 4WD

Tire had good tread left.( dot number: )

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Nov 131999

Explorer 4WD

I had been driving for about 12 hours on a trip starting in Florida on my way to Michigan. In Kentucky I ran over a 2X4 peice of wood about 6" long. The front tire went over ok, but the rear tire blow immediately. There was no tread separation just a big hole toward one side of the tread (not in the sidewall). I was able to stop safely even with a 500 lb load in the rear section of the truck.( dot number: Tire size: 255/60R16 )

- Daytona Beach, FL, USA

Jun 011999

Explorer 4WD

Rr tire blew out at highway speeds. External wall just exploded. No accident. My wife was able to control the vehicle while reaching the shoulder.( dot number: Tire size: ?? )

- Lexington, MA, USA

Oct 011999

Explorer 4WD

I have had two blowouts on these tires --- the most recent at high speed on the interstate. In the two years I have had this car, I have replaced all tires!( dot number: )

- Santa Fe, NM, USA

Jun 012000

Explorer 4WD

On 06/01/00 while heading to a family reunion we "hydroplaned" on the interstate just outside of las vegas, nm. The vehicle started to "fishtail" from the back tires (approx 5-6 times), then it swerved sideways off the road (right side lane) and onto the median. When the vehicle came up onto the oncoming traffic side it "popped up" onto two wheels, came back down, and then popped up again and rolled. The vehicle came to rest on the side of the road (oncoming traffice side ditch).( dot number: )

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Oct 301999

Explorer

The left-rear tire failed at a speed of approximately 70 mph causing me to lose control of the vehicle which then overturned, resulting in injuries to myself and my wife. We were not the owners of the vehicle (which has since been totaled as a result of the accident), rather it belonged to my aunt and uncle.( dot number: )

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Aug 161998

Explorer 4WD

Fairly new tire failed while driving on well maintained roads. Recent news articles about these failures initiated this report. At the time of failure the hertz Agency mentioned they had, had several failures.( dot number: Tire size: Unknown )

- Bend, OR, USA

Jun 242000

Explorer 4WD

Tire failure may be related to investigation PE00-020. Major tear occurred at sidewall/tread interface.( dot number: Tire size: P235/75R15 )

- Trophy Club, TX, USA

Jul 162000

Explorer

On my way to poway, ca, southbound I-5, my car began to pull to the right and shake. I pulled off to check my tires. Checking all 4 tires for correct inflation, I found nothing wrong. I got back on the freeway, as I was out in the middle of nowhere, lowered my speed and continued. As I approached poway the front end started to make a thumping noise. I was less than 1 mile from my sister's house, so I lowered my speed again and finished my trip. We looked at the tires and noticed that the right front tire had a bulge in it. It was about 5" in size along the tire tread. On 7/17 I took my Explorer to the Ford dealer of poway (perry Ford) for an inspection. Robert saw the bubble and said that all four tires needed to be replaced. He suggested a new set of firestones. Having had problems with them on our 1993 Ranger, and seeing the bubble on a tire that should not have to be replaced I refused. He was very persistant saying Firestone makes a great tire, but I refussed. Having all four tires replaced, mounted, balanced, and an alignment, it cost $550.21 to get myself and my children home to anaheim. When we bought the Explorer in 1998, we asked for the tires at that time, before pick-up, to be replaced as we had had problems with firestones on the Ranger. The dealer would not replace them, but gave us the name of a place to go to get new tires and possibly at a discount as the Firestone tires were new and could be bought back. If this condition has been under investigation for awhile, why would the Ford dealer of poway suggest(almost insist) that the same tire be put back on"? isn't that a little neglectful of robert and the dealer knowing I was going to get back on the freeway with my children and drive over 80 miles" I am very angry and upset about hearing about this investigation going on and the fact that nothing was said to me, and it cost me $550 for a problem that they created. Please let me know of any further information.

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Jul 162000

Explorer

My tire blew out and the Explorer rolled several times. My dogs were ejected from the windows as all the windows blew. The car was totaled and I have suffered back injuries.( dot number: Tire size: 235/75 )

- San Diego, CA, USA

Apr 261998

Explorer

There were 5 other times besides the major two times(have to buy new tires), when I had flats on the road and had to be repaired. The quality of tires is unacceptable. I bought this car in clinton, wi and now I have moved to austin, tx. The closest Ford dealer for me is maxwell Ford, 5000 ih-35 South, austin, tx 78745. (512) 326-8141. Now I saw the news how 21 people with Explorer have died related to tire failures. Both times when I had the problems with my tires were on the highway.( dot number: Tire size: P225/70R15 )

- Austin, TX, USA

Jan 271999

Explorer

Unsatisfactory performance from Firestone Wilderness AT P235/75R15 (SUV) tires. After routine service and (second) tire rotation/balance at 12,000 miles, I noticed my vehicle "pulling" to the right while on the highway. I returned the vehicle to the servicing dealer (kearny mesa Ford, san diego ca), and asked them to repair the problem. After several attempts, they were unable to rotate the tires and still have them balanced within specification. Consequently, the tires were returned to their original positions on the vehicle. The explanation given to me was that there was "likely a loose belt within one of the tires preventing it from balancing correctly, but since the vehicle didn't seem to "pull" when this tire was mounted on the rear, I should just leave it there and not rotate my tires in the future." When I inquired about warranty and/or replacement, I was informed that because the tires had 12,000 miles accrued, there was nothing I could do. As a result of not rotating my tires (...something I normally do as scheduled), my tires have worn irregularly and I believe have worn out prematurely (...in this case, approximately 40,000 miles; however I generally get much greater tire life due to the "highway" driving I do and proper tire maintenance). I am hoping this information will be helpful in your investigation of the Firestone Wilderness AT tires.( dot number: Tire size: P235/75R15 )

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jan 151999

Explorer

With less than 700 miles on the SUV, a stone from our driveway punctured the tire and cause it to go flat. The dealer was contacted and a Firestone dealer also. There was no warranty for the tires. Again after less that 11K miles another stone punctured another of the tires. Again Firestone was contacted. We elected to replace all 4 Firestone tires for Goodyear. Of all the vehicals and tires that have passed over our driveway no others have every had a stone puncture a tire.( dot number: )

- Chapel Hill, NC, USA

May 152000

Explorer

Turn signals and high beam indicator lamp failed suddenly. Fuses are good. Rear wiper has never work right. Has not work at all for some time. Always had low rumble when moving. Appears to come from front.( dot number: Tire size: 70R15 100S )

- Denton, TX, USA