1998 Ford Explorer wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Ford Explorer:

1998 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 11 of 20)

Sep 252000

Explorer 4WD

Peoo 020; consumer was traveling about 35mph on the road and felt vibration. Front tire and rear tire tread started to separte. Firestone, wilderness#at, P234/75R15, #dot#w-2. there were no injuries, and she has contacted Firestone. And all four tires were replaced.

- Columbia Fall, MT, USA

Sep 252000

Explorer 4WD

PE00-020; tire size P25570R16, orignal equipment Ford, 1998, Explorer with 41,000 miles. Vehicle will vibrate when driving over 60 mph. Consumer took it to Ford, and was told that there was a slipped belt on the left front and both rear tires.

- Great Falls, MT, USA

Sep 162000

Explorer 4WD

I have Firestone wildeness at tires made in Canada. I took the tires to the Firestone dealer for inpection. The technician told me that the tires are @ a early stage of tread separation. Eventhough, my wildeness at tires are made in Canada and not part of a recall, they have the tread separation problems.( dot number: Tire size: 235-75-15 )

- Newark, DE, USA

Aug 012000

Explorer

Firestone at tires P235/75R15 were experiencing tread separation.

- Albany, GA, USA

Sep 222000

Explorer

PE-00-039 or PE-00-020; Firestone Wilderness AT, original equipment on vehicle, tire size P23575R15, tires had 36 thousand miles on them, dot number not available. When driving at 50-55 mph and attemtping to change lanes to pass another vehicle, consumer suddenly lost control, vehicle flipped, and rolled three times, causing injuries to driver occupant. Vehicle was totaled.

- Kingston, MI, USA

Sep 212000

Explorer

PE00-020, original equipment on 1998, Ford, Explorer with 32000 miles, P25570R16, dot wd, consumer went to tire shop to get tires rotated and balanced. When tire technician took off tires he noticed the beginning of tread separation, and stress fractures. Told consumer to have them replaced.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 032000

Explorer

Original equipment on a Ford, Explorer, 1998, P23575R15 while driving down the highway, rear passenger's side tire delaminated. Took to Firestone, and they noticed all 4 tires were cracking, so they replaced them.

- Rocksbury, NY, USA

Explorer 4WD

Original equipment on a 1998, Explorer, P235/75R15 size, dot#: vnhl. Tread on all four Firestone Wilderness AT tires have started to separate along the sidewall.

- Monroe, MI, USA

Explorer 4WD

PE-00020; original equipment on a 1998, Ford, Explorer, 26,000 miles, tire size 235/75R15, dot vnhl 427. Left front tire has a visible bubble under the tread. Upon examination by a dealer, one of the four tires appeared to have signs of tread separation.

- Springboro, OH, USA

Explorer 4WD

Firestone Wilderness AT tires P235/75R15 dot W2hl experienced 1 tread separation on the right rear tire and left rear tire experienced a split of tread in the center of the tire.

- Albq, NM, USA

Apr 171998

Explorer

I bought my Ford Explorer new, in April 1998. By August of 1998 I had had 4 flat tires, 3 of which were the original tires. I had a flat on the way to Florida and one on the way home (blowout). After the 1st flat I went to my local Ford dealer and he told me tires were under a separate warranty. I went back to him after the 3rd flat and he ask me what I was running over. I replied that I was running over the same thing everyone else was-the road. After the 4th flat he agreed to buy me only 2 new tires. I can't tell you the mental anguish and stress I felt everytime I put my family in that vehicle. I now have 3 of the recalled tires on my car, and again the anguish and stress because I'm driving around on these tires while I'm on a waiting list for replacement tires. I'm disappointed in Ford and Firestone, to say the least, because profit is more important than human lives. All I can say is the lord was watching over us on all of those flats. We were "luckier" than others.( dot number: Vdhlipy tire size: P235/75R15 )

- Fulton, MS, USA

Sep 192000

Explorer

PE00-020; consumer had inspected the tires and found cracks all around the tires. Consumer was afraid of tread separation, just like seen on tv. Ford, Explorer, 1998, P235/75 R15, dot vnhl Canada. There were rollover accidents in California and Arizona due to these tires which are not on recall but should be investigated.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Sep 132000

Explorer

Tire tread separated on non-recalled Wilderness AT; Firestone dealer replaced all five tires. When asked if dealer would report failure of non-recalled tires, dealer responded "no." Failure was evidenced by visible hairline crack below tread around tire.( dot number: Not vd tire size: P235/75R15 )

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Aug 302000

Explorer

Tires are not part of current recall (made in Canada), but have cracks just below tread line. I have replaced these tires because I feel they are unsafe, not trustworthy for my family to travel on. I have these tires available for anyone to inspect. Thank you.( dot number: Tire size: P235/75R15 )

- Elizabeth City, NC, USA

Sep 122000

Explorer 4WD

Three tires are cracking at edge of tread. Firestone store checked them and said they are ok. Why are they showing cracks around the tire ??( dot number: Vnhlst381J tire size: P235/75R15 )

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Sep 112000

Explorer 4WD

Tires have rips around every tread on all wheels.( dot number: None tire size: 255/70/R16 )

- Nutley, NJ, USA

Sep 082000

Explorer 4WD

The tires on my Ford Explorer are not on the safety recall list. However, I had them inspected by a tire shop and they recommended that they be immediately replaced. There is a continiuos crack along the tread line of all four tires. Even though these tires were probably not produced in the plant effected by the recall I feel that they are unsafe to drive. The tires do have 43,000 miles on them and were kept at the Ford recommended pressure of 26psi. I am afraid that other consumers will look at the serial numbers on their own tires and not take them in to be checked, because they are not the ones listed in the recall. Also, some people may not be financially able to afford replacement tires. Therefore, I feel the NHTSA should considered investigating wether Wilderness AT tires from other Firestone plants should be recalled. I have saved the old tires in case they are recalled at a later time. If there is anywhere I can send them to be tested please feel free to contact me. Sincerely, dawn M. smith( dot number: W2hl tire size: P23575R505 )

- Gibraltar, MI, USA

Sep 012000

Explorer

This tire went flat while the vehicle was parked after a 70 mile drive at highway speeds in 90 degree weather. When taken to a local tire repair shop the next day, the diagnosis was the tread had separated. This particular dot code is not included in the recall. However, I thought it important to let you know that tires other than the dot vdhl are experiencing tread separation. I have replaced all four of the Firestone tires with another brand at my own expense. This is too important to risk my family's safety!( dot number: Vnhl tire size: P235/75R15 )

- Nevada City, CA, USA

Aug 072000

Explorer 4WD

Tire on drivers rear failed, tread separated completely while traveling on I-10 freeway at 75 mph (speed limit), causing Ford Explorer to roll several times. No fatalities occurred, driver only one in vehicle, seat belt probably saved life, multiple contusions and still off work continuing medical treatment and further tests. I do have pictures on disk that were taken of the tire and tread and of the vehicle. The actual tire and tread have been secured.( dot number: Vdhl1py477 tire size: P235/75R15 )

- Apache Junction, AZ, USA

Sep 032000

Explorer 4WD

Tread separated - tire is one of the recalled tires; tire went flat gradually which avoided a serious accident. Daughter was travelling with me and both she and I could have been killed or injured. I had tried to get replacement tires but was only put on the waiting list. Calls to Ford after the incident did not get any action. Help!!!!!!!( dot number: Tire size: 235R7515 )

- Pacific Grove, CA, USA