1998 Ford Explorer wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Ford Explorer:

1998 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 15 of 20)

Aug 152000

Explorer 4WD

The tires have not failed but they all have 360 degree circumferential cracks on each tire where the tread meets the sidewall. To me this indicates a potential Prelude to a tread separation. I feel that the Firestone recall should not be limited to just Illinois tires.( dot number: Vn tire size: 235/75R15 )

- Bristol, CT, USA

May 151999

Explorer

Tire blistered and went flat. A 1998 Ford, Explorer, original equipment, P235/75R15, and dot# unavailable. Firestone Wilderness AT P235/75/R15

- Woodland Hill, CA, USA

Jun 121998

Explorer 4WD

My wife while driving to the mall experienced sudden separation of tire from the wheel, with wheel dragging on the ground; vehicle was towed to sunbury motors, sunbury, pa. They would not replace under waranty and neither would Firestone at sunbury pa next to sunbury motors. Had to buy a new wheel and get the vehicle towed. I am here to tell you that the problem is more extensive than the Decatur plant.( dot number: W2hl tire size: P23575 R15 )

- Sunbury, PA, USA

Aug 152000

Explorer 4WD

I have the Wilderness AT tires made in Canada that were not recalled, but all 4 tires have a crack around the circumference right where the tread would separate. I showed them to a Firestone dealer and he agreed to replace the tires. I wanted to report to someone that these tires were not in the recall but appear to have problems.( dot number: Vnhl1py507 tire size: 235/75 R15 )

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jul 152000

Explorer 4WD

All four tires are showing signs or tread sepration (dot# wzcu1px on all four tires, P255/70R16). Nlm

- Gibson Cit, IL, USA

Oct 151999

Explorer

Left rear tire experienced a blowout while traveling at highway speed of 70 mph, only the driver in a 1998 Ford Explorer, original equipment, P255/75R16, and dot# unavailable. Dealer notified and replacement made at consumer's cost.

- Missionvie Viejo, CA, USA

Explorer

One of my 16 inch Wilderness AT tires is showing signs of tread separation. I don't feel safe driving on them and would not want them replaced with Firestone tires if they were to be included in the recall. I don't feel safe driving on them and will relace them at my own expense as soon as possible before they fail, but I hope that you are investigating the safety of these 16 inch tires and will have Firestone recall them. I would be happy with a pro-rated credit for the remaining tread life, but I would not want Firestone tires, even if they were free.( dot number: Tire size: 255/70/16 )

- Clayton, NC, USA

Explorer

Two of these tires show seperation at the point where the tread attaches to the body. Firestone says they are not part of the recall as they were not made in Decatur. Have replaced them with michelins at our expense. We feel these tires should be part of the recall as they are evidence the problem is not limited to one plant.old tires are available for inspection.( dot number: W2hl1py308 tire size: P235/75R15 )

- Wyandotte, MI, USA

Apr 152000

Explorer

PE 00 020/tire tread separation: Left rear Firestone Wilderness AT tire experienced a blowout/tread separation while traveling at hwy speed of 70 mph in a 1998, Ford Explorer, original equipment, P255/70R16, and dot# unavailable. No injury reported

- La Quinta, CA, USA

Aug 252000

Explorer

PE00.020; consumer was concerned about tires, and took vehicle to the local garage. There were stress marks, and cracks between the treads. Firestone wilderness#at, P25570R16. Tires were not the ones on recall. But, has experienced the same problem.

- Randolph, NJ, USA

Nov 011998

Explorer

Blow out within 2 miles of the dealership on the date of purchase. The dealer towed it back to the shop and replaced the tire.( dot number: Tire size: P255/70R16 )

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Aug 092000

Explorer 4WD

Went to have oil changed and tires rotated for trip out of town and the mechanic showed me my tires stating the unsafety of them due to all 4 were showing cracking and "dry-rot" around the tire well and tread. He stated that a tire of this low mileage is not to do this and if driving the 4 hour drive we were about to imbark on with this heat he advised it was totally unsafe and we needed to replace the tires. We still have the tires and were prepared to show them to a Firestone person and they stated that this was not the recall size although they were looking at other sizes. I could not consciously put my family in that danger waiting on a recall. I don't know anything about tires but I do know that it should not look like cracked rubber around all 4 tires.( dot number: Tire size: 255/70/16 )

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Explorer 4WD

Tires are cracking on tread skirt and sidewall splice with only 24400 miles on them with 10 being the tread wear and 13 being new..( dot number: Vnhl tire size: P235/75R15 )

- Wingo, KY, USA

Apr 082000

Explorer

Driving 60mph vehicle started to shimmy. Checked tires after stopping noticed tread had separated, but did not come completely off. Took to Goodyear & had 2 front tires replaced. Rear 2 tires okay. Firestone Wilderness AT P235/75R15 with 20,000 miles. Do not have tires. Dot vdhl

- Foot Hill Ranch, CA, USA

Aug 112000

Explorer

Was driving 25mph when tire blew out. This caused the tire to partially come off the rim. Vehicle was controllable. Managed to get to gas station & contact road service. Had tire changed. It had a slit in the center of the tread & had popped. Firestone wilderness P235/75R15 dot W2hl1py358 with 19,000 miles.

- Sierra Vista, AZ, USA

Aug 132000

Explorer

I have surface cracks going all the way around my tires on the side walls, where the tread meets the rest of the tire. I had my tires inspected at the Firestone in duncanville tx and the manager said that they appeared to be surface cracks at this time, and although they appeared to be the same type of defect as those tires apart of the recall there was nothing he could do at this time unless more tires where added to the recall. I also contacted the Firestone 800 number and was told the samething. I feel that the recall should be expanded to include all Wilderness AT tires, especially those showing defects such as mine. I am worried about my safety with these tires on my vehicle but I cannot afford to replace all 4 tires at this time nor should I be expected to if this is a defect that the manufacturer knows about but wants to isolate to one plant. Please help me resolve this issue in a timely matter for my safe and well being.( dot number: Vnhl 228 tire size: P235/75R15 )

- Dallas, TX, USA

Aug 122000

Explorer 4WD

All (4) tires have cracks in tread. Firestone dealer inspected, said to keep eye on them, but not part of recall. Don't feel good about driving since smaller size part of recall. All sizes should be part of this recall, same design, manufacturing, rubber compound.( dot number: )

- Horsham, PA, USA

Jul 192000

Explorer

While driving at 70mph, the right rear tire tread disintegrated and flew off into the desert taking along a piece of our bumper and side panel trim. We were returning from our vacation and the car was loaded down with luggage, a cooler, etc. We felt that this extra weight helped shift the center of gravity, keeping us from loosing complete control.( dot number: Tire size: E235/75R15 )

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jul 312000

Explorer

I was driving North on I-75 approx. 8 miles North of gainesville, fl on 7/31 & experienced a complete tire failure at 70 mph. The sensation was of having hit something in the road, but I saw nothing in the rear view mirror (except lots of big trucks bearing down on me). Almost immediately, I began to lose steering ability. I was able to control and stop the vehicle with great difficulty. The car swung out as far as one-quarter turn to the left in heavy traffic but I was able to countersteer and get off the road. The aaa wrecker attendant told me that he had seen "lots" of these blowouts and that the tread usually ripped all the way off and tore up the undercarriage of the car. Luckily, I had about 4 inches of material holding the tire together when I finally was able to stop. This incident occurred on an extremely hot day at about 3:00 pm. Please note that the dot# on this tire is not vd, but vn. I am very concerned that Firestone has not been totally forthcoming about the safety of this tire.( dot number: Vnhl 1py tire size: 235/75R15 )

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Apr 252000

Explorer 4WD

After the tire failed for no apparent reason, the vehicle rolled 2.75 times and spun 180, sending myself and my 20 day old baby to the hospital. The accident occurred in a coastal town, not in a warm climate.( dot number: Tire size: P225/70R15 )

- El Granada, CA, USA