1998 Ford Explorer wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Ford Explorer:

1998 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 16 of 20)

Aug 102000

Explorer

Tires show stress crack where the belt is attached to cassion, tire have developed a vibration at 45 mph to 70 mph, I have removed all 5 tires from vehicle and replaced them with michlen tires, since I live in ga, the voluntary recall for our area was not schedule till October, so in the name of safey I relplace them with no assistance from Firestone.the dot number indicates these tire were not from Firestone's Decatur il plant, but I have 5 tires(dot W2hl 128) that have a problem.( dot number: W2hl128 tire size: 235/75R15 )

- Hinesville, GA, USA

May 282000

Explorer

I was involved in a fatal car accident. I was the driver heading West on the 202 freeway in phoenix Arizona. I merged into the 10 freeway near 16th street when my rear passenger tire tread peeled off. This caused me to lose control of my Ford Explorer vehicle. With the lost of control the vehicle rolled about 4 to 5 times. Causing the death of my friend (passenger) and my yorkshire terrier dog rolled out and ran unable to be found. I was injured and was ambulanced to the hospital. I still have major effects from the trauma.( dot number: P235/75R15 tire size: P235/75R15 )

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Mar 272000

Explorer

I did not know of the problems that Firestone tires were having at the time of this incident. I believe that it is relevant to the current problems and wanted to go on record at this point. No safety defect listed.( dot number: )

- Tuscaloosa, AL, USA

Jul 192000

Explorer 4WD

July 19, mid-afternoon, while traveling North on I-35W North of hillsboro, tx, my left front tire suffered complete tread separation, alerting us to a problem with a loud sound. I pulled on to the shoulder with trucks whizzing past; and with my 20 year old daughter, we "eye-checked" to see what was wrong. We could see black stuff on the highway about 75 yards back and assumed I'd hit some road debris. We saw that the front-under-bumper spoiler was dragging the ground and that the front left fog light was damaged. We returned home that afternoon, traveling within the stream of traffic. Once we were home, in examining the front of the truck more closely in my drive, we saw that the tire tread was completely gone with just the steel belt showing. I drove carefully to the nearest tire company the next morning and had two front tires replaced with new Wilderness AT tires, unaware there were problems with this brand of Firestone tire. I had my truck repaired. On August 5, 2000, as a result of news accounts I called Firestone and followed their directions to have my back tires examined, carrying the documentation of the money I'd already spent replacing two tires and repairing the damage to my truck. They recommended that I replace the remaining two tires immediately, giving me credit for my contract on the tires of app $25 per tire. They replaced the tires with two more Wilderness AT tires. The total cost of the tire replacements and repair to the truck is $493.04. I now have just heard on abc tv news (08/10/00) that the replacement tires are problems, also. My daughter and I are lucky that we did not have an accident when the tire failed and that only minor damage was suffered by the truck. However, I'm no longer sure about my safety while traveling at freeway speeds during our hot summers here in Texas.( dot number: Unknown tire size: P235/75R15 )

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Jan 192000

Explorer

Tire blew out, tire complete gone, tread separated.( dot number: )

- Wichita, KS, USA

Jun 252000

Explorer

Tire rubber separated from tire. Vehicle proceeded to roll over injuring my wife and I.( dot number: )

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Feb 272000

Explorer 4WD

On February 27, 2000 my daughter and two friends were returning to our home in downers grove, Illinois from Iowa city, Iowa where they were visiting my son and other daughter at college. While on eastbound interstate 88, at approximately mile marker 15, traveling about 65 miles per hour, the right front tire suddenly exploded. Pieces of the tire flew in all directions with some hitting both the windshield and side windows. The vehicle immediately fell onto the rim and jerked to the right, forcing the vehicle out of the left-hand lane, through the right-hand lane and onto the right shoulder before it could be stopped. We were extremely fortunate that no one was in the right hand lane or on the right hand shoulder  and especially fortunate that the vehicle did not roll over. My daughter and her friends were very upset and shaken. After replacing the blown tire with the spare tire they continued their trip and arrived in downers grove. On February 28th I took several pictures of the damage to the vehicle and the remains of the tire and I would be happy to share them with you. On February 29th I went to the local Firestone store where I strongly inquired about the safety of the tire and its history of blowouts. I was assured by the manager of the Firestone store, ron degner, that there was no history of this problem and that my daughter probably ran over something on the highway. I paid Firestone $472.78 for a new tire, reconditioned rim, and all the other work associated with replacing the tire. I then went to joe madden body shop, the Ford dealer where I purchased the vehicle. I strongly inquired about the safety of the vehicle and the wilderness tires and any history of blowouts. I was assured by the body shop adjuster, bob schretter, that there was no history of this problem. I arranged for the appropriate repairs to my vehicle, and after two visits to the body shop paid a total of $331.94. I was reimbursed $265.09 from my insurance company.

- Downers Grove, IL, USA

Aug 232000

Explorer

PE00020; tire tread separation: All four tires are showing signs of tread separation. Tires are wilderness, at, P235R7515, manufactured at the joliete plant. Original tire equipment. Please list dot # if possible.

- Beech Island, SC, USA

Jul 302000

Explorer 4WD

Truck started developing control problems, fishtailing and vibrating. Noticed that tire treads were separating. Took to Firestone dealer and replaced all 4. 2 of them were bulging and separating a great deal, the other 2 were starting to develop minor bulges. We were lucky that we stopped before we lost complete control.( dot number: )

- Edmond, OK, USA

Aug 012000

Explorer 4WD

Size 25570R16; while on highway noticed vehicle was not traveling normally. Tire dealer stated tires were unsafe due to separation and cracking at base of tire treads and needed to be replaced. The tire dealers indicated that the tires were defective and unsafe and were all replaced by Firestone dealer who included it as part of recall. (dot # wzcv1px417)

- Blue Bell, PA, USA

Jul 242000

Explorer 4WD

I was driving southbound in the right lane of ih 35 in southern Oklahoma at about the # 3 mile marker. We had left wichita, ks earlier that day and were enroute to our home in carrollton, tx. I had been noticing a shudder in the vehicle not unlike the one I felt prior to learning that another one of the tires having separated on a trip from corpus christi to san antonio earlier in the summer. The Firestone dealer in S. a. advised that you could not tell by looking at the tire on the vehicle that there was a problem. I paid an adjusted price for that tire and just purchased another new wilderness tire on 7/28/2000 both of which were mounted on the front of the vehicle. The two tires on the rear were originals. I heard a loud bang to my left and immediately felt the vehicle lurch into the left lane. I believe that only my police training in driving vehicles at high speeds enabled me to keep control of my vehicle. I was able to steer it to the right shoulder and due to the tire only separating and not losing air pressure was I able to limp into gainesville, tx to glen polk Ford. I was told by them that they had never seen a vehicle with so much damage from a tire separation. I had to pay for another adjusted wilderness tire and we were on our way. I have since learned of several lawsuits against Ford and Firestone for fatal accidents resulting from tire separations of this same tire on Explorer's and minivans. As a coincidence, when I went to get an estimate on the damage at a Ford dealership in carrollton, one of the repair estimators showed me another Explorer with wilderness tires in the auto body shop with extensive damage to the right rear due to a tire separation incident. The driver of that vehicle was lucky because they were towing a trailer with a Porsche on it when the tire separated and an accident did not occur.( dot number: V0H11py527 tire size: P235/75R15 )

- Carrollton, TX, USA

Explorer

After find out of a recall on Firestone tires, took vehicle to check the tires, and technician saw cracks on all tires which were the same as mentioned in the the recall, but a different plant. Firestone wilderness P235/75R15. Firestone Wilderness AT P235/75/R15

- Largo, FL, USA

Jun 151998

Explorer

The tire essentially blew out and went immediately flat, while traveling at 65 mph on the interstate. If it had been a front tire it probably would have caused an acident. The local Firestone dealer said I ran over something that caused a puncture, but I know that wasn't the case, as there was a sizeable hole in the tread area of the tire and there were strands of radial reinforcing wire inside and outside of the tire. In light of the recent publicity on the subject, I thought it might be useful to pass along this information.( dot number: )

- Crossville, TN, USA

Apr 162000

Explorer

Vehicle rolled after going out of control - turns out there wasn't gravel on the road. It was unexplainable. All four tires were without tread after the accident, but the details are similar to the incidents I've been reading about with the brigestone/Firestone tires. Please make them recall these tires!( dot number: )

- Austin, TX, USA

Aug 032000

Explorer 4WD

I had the tires checked after hearing reports of trouble. All four tires show cracking where the tread meets the sidewall. After checking with the dealership where the vehicle was purchased and the local Firestone dealer, I replaced the tires at my own expense. I put P235/75R15 Michelin ltx tires on. The tires and service records for this vehicle are available for inspection, including proof of rotation and balancing on schedule.( dot number: Vnhl1py417 tire size: P235/75R15 )

- Leesburg, FL, USA

Aug 072000

Explorer

Although I have not personally experienced any problems with the Firestone wildnerness tire, I feel my life and my passengers' are in danger with the use of this tire. I certainly don't want to be another fatality as a result of tire failure. I want to express my concern for public safety. These tires, including the atv & atv II should be recalled immediately. How many more people have to die on the roadways before something is done? the sooner Firestone is forced to recall these defective tires...the safer the highways will be.

- Hoover, AL, USA

Explorer

When towing tralier with this tire/vehicle combination at speeds over 65 (in a 70 mph zone) mph the vehicle would begin to fishtail. The trailer and its load only weighed 1,400-1,500 pounds on each occasion with correct balance. The last time this vehicle towed a trailer with these tires the trailer went into an uncontrolable fishtail. This resulted in the vehicle ending in the median with the trailer breaking loose. After purchasing new dunlop tires and a new trailer the vehicle never had a problem with fishtailing. On a few occasions I towed an 18 foot boat at lower speeds and realized very quickly that there was no way it could pull its rated limit of 5,500 pounds (that boat combination was 2,200 pounds). I thinks the NHTSA shouls test this tire under towing conditions as well. These tires never peeled, but they were not given a chance as they were replaced at 10,000 miles. I have towed enough in my day to realize what is user error or equipment failure. These tires are not safe to tow with at least not on an Explorer.( dot number: Tire size: 2357515 )

- Jonesboro, GA, USA

Aug 012000

Explorer

Tire blew out when traveling at 70 miles plus. I nearly had a serious accident, but I was able to avoid collision. The incident caused minor damage to the steel alloy rim.( dot number: Tire size: P235/75R15 )

- Austin, TX, USA

Mar 272000

Explorer

While driving 70 mph tread separated from casing of the left rear tire. Original tires purchased on a 1998 Ford Explorer, tire size 22575R16 with 44,000 miles. Please provide the dot number from the tire and any other details. Firestone Wilderness AT 225/75/R16

- Tampa, FL, USA

Explorer

No summary listed for abov evehicle.( dot number: )

- Arlington, TX, USA