1998 Ford Explorer wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Ford Explorer:

1998 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 17 of 20)

Aug 141999

Explorer

Driving on I-75 in broward county, day, light rain, road had a sheen but no large standing puddles. Section of highway we travel daily. Vehicle abruptly hydroplaned and cocked 30-40 degrees to the right. I was looking down the lane of travel out the left window. I was able to recover control. Had tire and suspension checked. Tires had 50% tread remaining. Replaced with Michelin no further hydroplaning episodes. The loss of directional control was extremely abrupt and stopped at 30-40 degrees before I could react to countersteer. I have a type rating in airbus 300, 14 year navy Pilot, 10 years as navy flight instructor and have driven in absymal Florida wx all my life. The handling characteristics of this tire were poor.( dot number: Tire size: 255/70/16 )

- Weston, FL, USA

May 052000

Explorer

Just learned from the news media today that this might be a problem...was traveling along interstate 91 in Vermont this may when the tire literally came apart. There was nothing left but the rim when I finally got the vehicle stopped.( dot number: )

- White River Junction, VT, USA

May 012000

Explorer

Tire replace due to tread separation.( dot number: Tire size: P/23575R15 )

- Plano, TX, USA

Jul 192000

Explorer

Had a tire failure exactly as described in recent (8/00) news reports - tread separated from otherwise well-maintained tire going 65mph on the freeway - was able to safely navigate to a stop. It was a Firestone ATX wilderness tire, standard equipment on the vehicle. Contacted dealer with no success since no recall has been issued - went to Bridgestone vendor and had inspection done - cracking at the tread line was found in all three other tires (excluding the one replaced 7/19/00). I use the vehicle for many long distance trips across the desert, with my 4yr old - felt forced to replace all four tires for safety sake at my own expense, as the dealer would do nothing since no recall has been issued yet. Please notify me at the address herein if the NHTSA determines a recall on these tires is warranted, as I'd like to try to recoup some of my expenditure replacing these tires pre-recall. I believe these tires are seriously defective and dangerous, especially in high heat conditions such as the southwest. The manufacturers should be responsible for replacing this defective equipment, not the consumer. Thank you for your consideration. (I didn't provide VIN or tire number information as it is not readily available; if necessary I will do so..( dot number: Tire size: Standard )

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jul 112000

Explorer

Tread seperated from tire. Fortunately I cought it in the beginning stages and replaced the tires.( dot number: Tire size: P235/75R15 )

- Altamonte Springs, FL, USA

Jul 272000

Explorer

Tread seperated from the tire. Lost control of the vehicle and "fishtailed" 6-7 times on I-10, then shot across I-10 down a grass embankment. When I finally came to a stop, I had 3 flat tires, damaged qtr. Panel, and was a nervous wreck. I had my vehicle towed to a Ford dearlership to have the tires replaced and the vehicle inspected for any damage underneath. I was not informed of the problem with the Firestone tires by the Ford dealership. I spoke to my parents and told them about my accident. My dad called the next day to tell me the he heard a news articles about the problem with Firestone tires seperating. Please contact me for more details. Thank you very much, kelly logan.( dot number: Tire size: 15 )

- Metairie, LA, USA

Jan 012000

Explorer

I returned to Firestone store and complained about a defective tire when it appeared that the tire was out of round. They claimed that there was nothing wrong with the tires. I recently on two occasions, took SUV to have alignment checked. Was told that alignment was withing specs, that the Firestone tires were defective and caussed what they called "radial drift". this causes the car to pull to one side or the other. This in turn would cause overheating and in my opinion cause tread separation at highway speeds.( dot number: 027477 tire size: P235/75R15 )

- Miami, FL, USA

Sep 031999

Explorer

I was treaveling on I-10 in baton rouge, la at about 65 miles per hour when my tire blew out. The tread was blown from the tire. There was no warning or excesive wear to this or any other tire. I still have the other three original tires, I'm filing this claim so something can be done to prevent serious injury.( dot number: Tire size: P235/75/15 )

- Georgetown, TX, USA

Aug 212000

Explorer 4WD

Both front tires have cracks and cuts along the tread. Tires not under recall. The tires are Firestone Wilderness AT tires (P23575R15) dot#W2hl ipv(for front tires) and vd(for back tires). All 4 tires are cracking. Consumer is on a waiting list to replace all 5 tires with the exact kind that are currently on the front of the vehicle and this concerns the consumer.

- Albany, NY, USA

May 281999

Explorer 4WD

PE00 020; was traveling about 55mph on the highway and it was an extremely hot day. Left rear Firestone Wilderness AT tire on the driver's side tread separated/ripped apart, and blewout. Consumer managed to maintain vehicle. There were no injuries to report. Tire was a 255/70-R16, and the attendant told him that there was a recalll for R16series.

- New York, NY, USA

Feb 182000

Explorer

Peooo20, original equipment on a Ford Explorer 1998, 235/75R15. Consumer felt a bumping feeling in the left front tire. He felt this was not safe, and might be related to treads separating on size 15 tires. Because the Firestone tires were reliable, the customer traded the vehicle for another vehicle with different brand of tires.

- Callhan, FL, USA

Apr 012000

Explorer 4WD

PE00 020; consumer was traveling about 35mph on highway and vehicle started to vibrate, and right rear tire exploded. Tire was Firestone wilderness #at, size P23575/R15 there were injuries. Firestone Wilderness AT P235/75/R15

- The Woodland, TX, USA

Apr 052000

Explorer 4WD

PE00 020; consumer was traveling about 60mph on highway and heard something slapping up against vehicle. He pulled over and noticed that left rear tire tread had separted. Tires are Firestone wilderness # at, size P235/75 R15 #dot vdhl there were no injuries reported.

- New High Park, NY, USA

Jul 302000

Explorer

While driving about 55 mph front tire started vibrating, and driver lost control. Then, found out that right front tire had a blowout, crashing into a rock bluff. Firestone Wilderness AT P235/75R16.

- Gainesboro, TN, USA

Aug 062000

Explorer 4WD

PE00 020; consumer was not traveling on the highway, but still noticed that tread was cracking around tire sidewalls. Tires are firstone wilderness, tire size are P23575/R15, and the dot code #W2hl. Tread hasn't separated yet, but he is concerned. He took vehicle to Firestone, and they put him on a waiting list.

- Escondido, CA, USA

Sep 201998

Explorer 4WD

Firestone wilderness right rear tire P255/70R16 dot W2cu1px408 exploded while driving, tire came off wheel, weather conditions were rainy, windy, and cold.

- Cheyenne, WY, USA

Aug 142000

Explorer

PE02000; tire tread separation: All four tires were showing signs of tread separation. Tire size P23575R15, tires were not built at the Decatur, Illinois plant. Dot # beginning with vn (from the Canadian plant). Original tire equipment. Tires purchased on a 1998, Ford, Explorer. Firestone and Ford have been called about the tires. The consumer replaced all tires, but has not been reimbursed.

- Mission, TX, USA

Jul 261998

Explorer 4WD

PE 00 020/tire tread separation: While traveling in a 1998 Ford Explorer, original equipment, tires size P235/75R15, and dot# unavailble. Right rear tire experienced a blowout inside the sidewall at 35 mph or less. On November 5, 1998 problem reoccurre, D happened again on the replacement tire. Firestone notified. Firestone wilderness P235/75/R15

- Wilder, ID, USA

Mar 302000

Explorer

PE00020, tire size 23575R15, original equipment on 1998 Explorer, all four tires have cracks around rim which may indicate a tread separation. Firestone wilderness 235/75/R15

- Laurel, MD, USA

May 012000

Explorer

While driving 65mph rear passenger's tire separated, causing vehicle to skid out of control, and eventually rollover, resulting in minor injuries and a fatality. Tire size P235 original equipment on a 98 Explorer. Consumer had just replaced the 3rd original tire 2 days prior, 4th tire was checked, the tire S/N is W2hl1py247, the 4th tire original was the tire that the tread blew and caused the accident, police report #2000-032297 tire size P235/75R15.

- Glendale, AZ, USA