7.2

1. replace the door latch (3 reports)
1999 Ford Explorer accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Ford Explorer:

1999 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Nov 302007

Explorer V6

Ok, I am a mother of 2. I pick my kids up everyday and do all the running around for work and everything a working mother of two does. When you have to worry about someone trying to hijack your vehicle from you it gets a little frustrating. My driver side door quit unlocking with the remote long before it finally stopped unlocking with the key. So, I started unlocking it from the rear drivers side door but now I have to reach through the passenger side to open the door to get in. About a month after the drivers side quit working, my rear driver side door quit opening from the outside. I think it unlocks but I can't tell for sure because I can't open it from the inside because I have the CHILD LOCK on. I purchased the part to fix the Front drivers door and I was searching online to figure out how to remove the door panel to replace it and I was surprised to see how many other people out there that has the same problem. I don't know it this is going to help but I am a very frustrated and worried mother.

- , Hertford, NC, USA

Jan 202007

Explorer XLT V8

The lock on the liftgate won't unlock w/ the remote immediately and I usually have to press unlock several times on the interior lock button as well before the liftgate can even be opened.

- , Chandler, AZ, USA

Aug 302007

Explorer LX V6

The problem when I locked the door then closed it, I could not unlock it again. The key wouldn't work, the remote opener would not work. Took a while to realize if I closed the door, then locked it, the key would work and the remote would work. I could live with that. I got a notice through the mail that Ford had a recall on the cruise control. I took it in to the Ford dealer and while I was there, I told them about the door. Showed them how it was working and when they said $400.00 to fix I said I could live with closing the door then locking it. The service tech went inside and got a spray and sprayed the door lock. When I got home I could no longer close the door and lock it and open it again. I will not work. I have to crawl through to get to the driver seat. Now I have an appointment tomorrow to pay the $400.00 to fix it. I am really mad.

- , The Colony, TX, USA

Sep 222007

Explorer V6

Out of no where driver side door would not unlock with key or remote. Had to unlock passenger side door and reach across and open driver side door with handle.

Took off door panel and found a spring removed laying in the bottom of the door panel. After some research it seems that the spring came from the door latch. The spring functionally holds a lever in place to allow the latch to unlock and with out the spring the lever can not get into position to unlock.

I went to a ford dealer ship and bought the door latch for 60 dollars. It sounds like you can also have the dealer fix for 350.

- , Lakewood, CO, USA

Jan 132007

Explorer V6

Drivers door lock began not working with remote (unlock) and finally will not work with key. I have to either leave it unlocked or climb through passengers door.

- , Lakeland, FL, USA