1999 Ford Explorer engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Ford Explorer:

1999 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Jun 012015

Explorer 4.0L Sohc

A rough idle developed in June, 2015. I have went through every possible solution. The problem seems to worsen, especially when it rains. The vehicle is now beginning to stall at intersections. The only possible solution I can imagine is replacing or cleaning the fuel injectors. I did determine that I was receiving a fuel injector fault from ONE fuel injector while using live data but I was unable to recreate the error. The other possibility is low compression or a damaged valve. Vacuum tests don't show and type of problems with catalytic converters or leaky valves. The most frustrating part is that the computer modules in this Ford vehicle do not report any errors. Not even a misfire or a stalling engine has thrown a (DTC) check engine light. I am only repairing this vehicle as a favor for my roommate. I have tested the IAC, replaced the DPFE, spark plugs and wires, cleaned the MAF, replaced the intake manifold gaskets, checked injector resistance, changed PVC, fuel pressure is at 64psi stable, cleaned ground connectors and relay box terminals, checked overall engine/chassis/battery continuity, and the list goes on and on. My only other viable option is to have a backup engine or two on hand.

- , Hudson, WI, USA

May 062012

Explorer XLT 4.0L

Engine runs rough at cold start. PO171 and PO174 indicated lean running at both banks, replaced and cleaned all related parts, codes were eliminated but it still ran rough at start-up.

- , Carson City, NV, USA

Jun 012005

Explorer 4.0L

1999 Ford Explorer idles rough since I bought it. Paid $120.00 for mechanic to tell me the spark plugs needed to be replaced!!!! They were replaced and the vehicle ran great for about 3 months and now about every 3 months I have to replace the spark plugs or it runs so bad it it barely drivable, not to mention it gets really bad gas mileage ever since the onset of the problem. Wondering if this is a common problem with Explorers...

- , Ashland, WI, USA