Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Well, it's not a 2002, so it's got that going for it.

1. replace fuel injector valve (1 reports)
  2. replace sensor (1 reports)
2000 Ford Explorer engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Ford Explorer:

2000 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Apr 012009

Explorer XLT V6

While idling at lights, the engine was reving horribly all by itself, from almost 0RPMS, to almost 2. While actually driving, the vehicle would lurch itself up and down the RPM gauge, making my husband and I think the car would just stop any minute. The check engine light came on off and on, flashing sometimes, staying on for a while at other times. We took it to one mechanic who swore it was either our fuel injector or the fuel line being partially clogged, so he flushed the system and check the injector - neither were the problem. He had no idea what was wrong. Money wasted there... Another mechanic swore the transmission was going out, but nope, that wasn't it either. More money wasted. Finally, the third being a charm, this next mechanic, after us telling him we were fed up with lies, told us he wouldnt even charge us if he couldnt find anything wrong. Well this wonderful person took apart the whole engine, figured out there was a tiny butterfly valve somewhere close to the fuel injector that wasn't operating properly. The valve itself: $30 bucks. The labor for the engine being taken apart and put back together: the difference equaling $1000.... Ever since, no other major issues. I love the space this car provides, and she drives like a newer car, but that whole experience was indeed, A PAIN IN THE A$$!

- , Webster, TX, USA

Jun 012003

my truck would idle real high so i called thoroughbred told me to bring it in I took it in the next morning and got a ride to work they called me that afternoon and told me that a sensor was out and thats why it is idling so high also they need to replace the sparkplugs,fuel filter,air filter this is all

- , Kansas City, MO, USA