9.0

2000 Ford Explorer engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Ford Explorer:

2000 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

May 012008

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L Sohc V6

This summer (May '08) my truck started giving me some problems trying to start, as if it were out of gas. Ever since then, without warning, sometimes the truck will start but then refuse to idle. Upon ignition, the engine revs to 2-3K RPMs and then as it falls back down it just kills. The engine will not idle unless I put it into first gear manually and operate the truck like a manual transmission. Sometimes the problem will correct itself if I keep my foot on the throttle for a while or start driving, however I once had to drive it like a manual transmission for the duration of a 50-mile trip before it would idle on its own. As soon as I reached my destination the symptoms went away and when my mechanic inspected the truck there was nothing apparently wrong with it. HELP!

- , Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Oct 162006

Explorer XL 4WD

Dangerous vehicle.. NEVER buy a Ford again. Have spent thousands trying to fix this POS!!! Parking it and driving my Mercedes-which flies and always starts.. even in freezing weather!!! Electrical problems on the Explorer.. you must keep foot on the gas & brake at ALL times just to keep it running... SCARY!!!.. Loose Power brakes when she dies..3 times last night alone.. At least the flashers work, because you will surely need them! Huffs and puffs like a train when starting in cold weather.. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WILL NEVER DIE.. NOT MATTER HOW MUCH MONEY I OUT INTO HER.. FIX & SELL AND GOD BLESS WHOMEVER BUYS IT.

- , Memphis, TN, USA