Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Well, it's not a 2002, so it's got that going for it.

2000 Ford Explorer windows / windshield problems

windows / windshield problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Ford Explorer:

2000 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Nov 142008

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

It was shortly after midnight leaving work in northeast philly i stop at a light and BANG!! I look behind me and i see my rear windshield was blown out. Not knowing what the hell is going on i acted as if someone shot at me. I pulled over, called the cops, they searched the truck and found nothing. No bullet holes, no projectiles, no evidence of anything but a blown windshield. Mind the fact that it was foggy with a light drizzle and was about 60 degrees, no witnesses, no other cars were around me. I was fortunate to get it replaced for about $200 the next morning but the more i think about this awkward moment, the more i feel its a part of that windshield exploding phenomenon. Because again, there's no evidence of anything.

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA

Sep 072008

Explorer XLT V6

For some reason my rear flipgate glass shattered...from the INSIDE! Can not tell how or why it occured. There was not a rock or anything inside the vehicle and 99% of the glass was outside of the truck on the garage floor. Three windows were down and both garage doors were up so it was not hot inside the truck. The glass broke into approximately a hundred thousand little pieces and you could still hear it popping and cracking on the ground and some pieces would jump. CRAZY!!

- , Raymore, MO, USA

Jun 132006

Explorer XLT V6

I hate my explorer, I could probably put a complaint in each category. But anyways, my family and I were just sitting in the living room, and then we heard an extremely loud noise. We had no idea what it was so we stayed in our living room, then about 20 minutes later our neighbor came over and told us that my rear windshield was shattered. We looked for any sign of anyone doing it, and there was none. It was obvious by the way the glass shattered that it was not a person's doing. This was a huge annoyance to get fixed because I couldn't drive anywhere for a while with no windshield, and we never figured out how it happened.

- , East Lansing, MI, USA

Dec 122007

Explorer XLT V6

click to see larger images

rear window exploded rear window exploded rear window exploded

My wife and I heard a noise that night but could not find a source until morning when I was to drive into town in the rain. There was glass all over in the garage! I looked for a bullet hole in the garage door but found none. Nothing fell onto the window and nothing inside the Explorer blocked the glass. It just spontaneously grenaded itself! Why, I don't know why...

- , Ferndale, WA, USA