CarComplaints.com Notes: How can we give the 2001 model year a "seal of pretty good" when it has some problems with a slipping transmission and a known problem with the speed activation control switch? Because it's not the 2002. That's how.

9.0

2. replace door handles (2 reports)
2001 Ford Explorer accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Explorer:

2001 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Nov 252010

Explorer V6

Cannot get out of car once inside from passenger side. I have two children whom lives are in danger when they are riding this car with me. Because once the door is closed it cannot be reopened from the inside with pulling on the handle numerous amounts of times in hopes that it will eventually unlock.

Update from Dec 19, 2010: car dealership wants to charge me $989.00 to fix my car doors and locks. Woody Anderson Ford in Huntsville,Alabama is not a dealership I would refer anyone to.

- , Madison, AL, USA

Apr 162009

Explorer XLS V6

my ford was paid off in april and first the driver side door handle, then the passenger side handle,and then the passenger side rear went bye-bye. my car failed inspection because of the air bag light kept flashing. Thank you CASH for CLUNKERS!!! I now have a Kia...

- , Boston, MA, USA

Apr 012007

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

How embarrassing was it to either have to climb through the passenger side or climb through the window to enter my car?! Let me tell you. It started to mess up the winter previous to repair. So, sometimes the handle would not work, i would have to climb across my seats and try not to get snow, slush and/or salt all over my seats. Then, I had to locate a handle from a junk yard, because I couldn't afford to buy a whole new assembly. On top of that, the replacement is already on its last leg! Love my car, HATE this problem!

- , Madison, OH, USA

Nov 282007

Explorer Limited V6

I think that a recall should be made for this problem. My brother has a 2000 Ford Explorer with the same problem. Massachusetts now requires the door handle to be working in order to get a current inspection sticker.(I found this out 2 weeks before I needed one, so of course I got a rejection sticker.) If both my brother and I have this problem, I am assuming other owners of Ford Explorers have similar problems with their door handles. Ford should fix this problem at no cost to the owners if this is a reoccurring problem, especially now that Massachusetts has heightened its inspection sticker requirements.

- , Quincy, MA, USA

May 282006

Explorer Sport

Out of the blue, the exterior handle of the driver's side door is "loose" & the lock refuses to budge - regardless of manual or remote unlocking. So far all other locks seem okay... Although about a year ago, I remember the locks were funky for about a week. Not sure why it cleared up that time... Seems like loose mechanical part/s...

- , Eugene, OR, USA

Apr 072006

Explorer

ALL THE DOOR HANDLES BROKE OR WILL NOT OPEN. I CAN'T EVEN PUT THE WINDOWS UP AT ALL. IF I DO I WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO GET IN THE VEHICLE

- , Camilla, GA, USA