Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: How can we give the 2001 model year a "seal of pretty good" when it has some problems with a slipping transmission and a known problem with the speed activation control switch? Because it's not the 2002. That's how.

2001 Ford Explorer drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Explorer:

2001 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Jan 122005

Explorer Limited V6

I was backing out of my driveway and I heard this loud bang. I thought I hit something, but it turns out that my Ford Explorer had become stuck in 4wd. I had never even used the 4wd. I didn't think much of it but every time I tried to take a sharp turn it would make a loud banging noise. I didn't get it fixed right away, but it was killing my vehicle. I finally got it repaired but the 4wd lights inside my truck continue to flash. Ford apparently makes the flashing lights difficult for a typical mechanic to fix so you have to take it to one of their dealerships.

- , Quincy, MA, USA