CarComplaints.com Notes: How can we give the 2001 model year a "seal of pretty good" when it has some problems with a slipping transmission and a known problem with the speed activation control switch? Because it's not the 2002. That's how.

1.2

2001 Ford Explorer lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Explorer:

2001 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Feb 262013

Explorer

As with so many Explorer I have read about, my O/D light comes on and flashes. I lose all power during initial acceleration and then the truck shoots off like a rocket. If I turn the ignition off, the light resets and the vehicle is ok for a while until the light as with so many Explorer I have read about, my O/D light comes on and flashes. I lose all power during initial acceleration and then the truck shoots off like a rocket. If I turn the ignition off, the light resets and the vehicle is ok for a while until the light comes on again. I had the codes read and it came up a solenoid problem. I had them replaced and ten miles from the lot, the light came on again. I have read that this is a known issue from Ford, but they have yet to act on this issue. Comes on again. I had the codes read and it came up a solenoid problem. I had them replaced and ten miles from the lot, the light came on again. I have read that this is a known issue from Ford, but they have yet to act on this issue. I took it to the Ford shop and they told me that they have fixed several and they go right back out it was a waste of my time.. does someone have to get killed before U all fix this if U try to take off and it slips and will not go U can and will get hit.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Apr 052013

Explorer 6-cyl

I was driving and I saw and smelt smoke. I immediately could tell where it was coming from because I saw the smoke coming out of the hazard light on top of my steering wheel, it then turned into a flame, it was inside of the steering wheel. I pulled off to the side of the road because fortunately I had water with me and I poured a little bit of water on the flames that were coming out of where the hazard light is. This has happened 2 times, with the final result being 2 fires. It happened a 3rd time with just smoke. I no longer have the ability to use my windshield wipers and some of my interior lights no longer work. I don't know if this has caused other problems ie...my check engine light being on as well as my cruise control working when it wants to and other times not working at all plus the buttons on the inner side of the steering wheel being hot to the touch! I'm terrified to drive my own car!

- Savage, MN, USA