Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: How can we give the 2001 model year a "seal of pretty good" when it has some problems with a slipping transmission and a known problem with the speed activation control switch? Because it's not the 2002. That's how.

2001 Ford Explorer steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Explorer:

2001 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Oct 042015

Was making a right hand turn from a city street into my community and about 90 degrees into the turn the steering locked up and I was headed for the median. I stopped with the brakes and looked down at the dash and the battery picture was red which helped me to realize the car had turned off. I put the car in park and then started it up and the problem was gone.

- Snoqualmie, WA, USA

Sep 012015

On driving my truck it slowed down almost to a stop then moved but continued to putter and slow down--I got scared and got it in my driveway and called aa to tow to my service mechanic--the mechanic had it for 2 days and could find nothing wrong with it---I told him I felt it was in the gearshift automatic as when I put it in P it lunges forward and I have to put my foot on the brake again--also when I have it in D the gearshift does not stay in the middle, as it always did. He said it might be water in the gas, which I said no to. I know my vehicle as I had it from day one and it did not drive like that. It has only 110,000 miles on it and I took good care of it for upkeep and now that I am retired and age 70, money to repair does not come easy with small pension and social security.

- Blackstone, MA, USA

May 152002

I have several more invoices 7-29-03 replaced dust seals and forgot to put brakes back together lost whole front end and braking. Had truck for 3-4 days they have replaced the water pump pulley and S belt 2-3 times. Cruise control 10-16, 12/31/02 again squeling noise 02/28/03 defrost kills truck and chirping still. 2/10/03 steering wheel snaped part falls around inside, cruise control was fixed, bearing failure in belt tensioner again. Today still having the same problem. Come get the piece of !@!@#@#. I am sick of taking this truck in every month to fix something. It is a lemon

- Jerome, ID, USA

Jan 182001

Steering wheel will not straighten up when letting go off steering, just like normal power steering.

- Anderson, SC, USA