CarComplaints.com Notes: How can we give the 2001 model year a "seal of pretty good" when it has some problems with a slipping transmission and a known problem with the speed activation control switch? Because it's not the 2002. That's how.

8.0

2001 Ford Explorer windows / windshield problems

windows / windshield problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Explorer:

2001 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Aug 132009

Explorer Sport V6

I use my explorer for work as a DirecTV installer. I was at my customers house retrieving parts out of the rear gate using only the window opening to do so. I stood up a little too straight and when my head touched (hardly hit with any force at all) the window it EXPLODED. Both the customer and her neighbor both came out wondering if my actual car had exploded from the noise made by it. Glass was at least 12 feet away down the driveway, as well as lodged into my head, neck, arms, and somehow my right leg. Just happened today so I am not sure as to what the fix is going to be but having read these issues it seems that Ford really gave up on fixing this problem, or at least making it right for the customers that run into it.. Its no wonder that the american car industry is in such trouble with this kind of customer service. So now it seems that I'll be out the $1000-1500 PLUS any time that I need to miss from work because my vehicle is not a safe place to leave my equipment in. Thanks Ford! You'll never stop reminding me why I should NEVER buy american again!

- , Cleveland, OH, USA

Dec 012004

Explorer XLS

I see that the 2002 Ford Explorer has a recall for the rear window hinge failing, but it also failed on my 2001 Explorer. It appears to me that the "thru bolt" was overtightened during assembly, and finally stripped out. I am a machinist, so for me, the repair involved removing the rear window hinge, and drilling and tapping a new hole in it. then re-installing it on the vehicle with a new bolt.

- , Bethany, MO, USA