- January 13: Ford Recalls 816,000 Vehicles to Replace Takata Airbag Inflators recalls | 9 days ago
- January 1: Ford Power Steering Lawsuit Denied Class-Action Certification news | 21 days ago
- December 27: Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan ABS Problems Investigated investigations | 26 days ago
- December 21: Ford Recalls 9,400 Vehicles in 3 Recalls recalls | 32 days ago
- December 2: Ford Recalls 680,000 Fusion, Mondeo and Lincoln MKZ Cars recalls | 51 days ago
Gear Shift Lever Fell Off
2002 Ford Explorer (Page 8 of 9)
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 108,903 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 162 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (67 reports)
- replace / rebuild entire steering column (54 reports)
- repair / replace shift lever (18 reports)
- rigged it so I could drive (4 reports)
- goodwill repair and upgrade manufacture of part (3 reports)
- new steering column (3 reports)
accessories - interior problem