6.5

1. Ford should pay for it (396 reports)
  3. paid to have rear panel replaced (47 reports)
  4. file complaint with NHTSA to get a recall issued (26 reports)
  5. start a class action suit and get damages reimbursed (16 reports)
  6. dealership replaced the entire panel (10 reports)
2002 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2002 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 19 of 31)

Dec 262007

Explorer XL V6

02 Crack on hatchback panel under rear window, I can't believe how many other people have had this problem. I was quoted $300 to get it fixed by Ford. I'm glad I didn't do it. Especially if everyone is saying that the problem recurs. I'm going to wait till Ford has a recall on the hatchback cracks, instead handing Ford $300 + . I'm glad I Googled this problem and found this site.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Jan 012008

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

I don't know who the idiot(s) were who designed this back door, but this about the 5th time I've had to have it repaired. The hinges on the glass needed to be replaced, I replaced the struts, the open/closed sensor doesn't work and now this! I love my truck, but the rear door is a piece of crap.

- , Maryville, TN, USA

Feb 152008

Explorer V6

My Explorer is is great shape and I have taken good care of it. I noticed a crack on the panel just below the rear panel several days ago and I could not determine how in the world it occurred. I was in the parking lot and saw another explorer with a crack in the very same place the next day. About a week later I noticed another explorer on the hwy with a crack as well. Now, since I can't help but focus I have seen a total of four explorers with the same issue. This is pitiful Ford, you should issue a recall and make things right!

- , Greenbrier, TN, USA

Feb 162008

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L V8

I noticed my rear hatch back panel had a significant crack in it. As I read the complaints from other customers I see that this can be a real danger to myself and my small children because the rear window itself can dislodge from the panel and hurt them. WoW! Recall this ASAP before someone gets hurt!

- , Waldwick, NJ, USA

Apr 242007

Explorer XLT

Add me to the list of people with a cracked piece of fiberglass below read windshield. I didn't even realize there was a recall on the windshield/hinges....... perhaps they will replace the fiberglass when I have the recall issue taken care of. But from what I've read here, I won't hold my breath.

- , Pryor, OK, USA

Jan 142008

Explorer

I was very upset to see that there is so many people out there with this same problem . I can't believe that one of our oldest auto manufacturers will not stand behind it's product and step up to fix the problem. Please won't somebody step up,or is it just ok to f#ck us over?

- , Madelia, MN, USA

Mar 102008

Explorer LS V6

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window

Well, it does and it doesn't make me feel any better to see so many other complaints about the exact same defect. I was at the carwash the other day when the dryer blew half of my rear panel off my glass lift gate. I, also had the rear glass replaced ONLY AFTER having the hydraulic arm pop off multiple times and having the entire rear windshield shatter on me when I tried to close it one night and the "fixed" hydraulic popped off again. After that happened I asked them if they were sure there wasn't a recall on the lift gate, and they replied "no". After getting a new rear window, about a year later I was closing the window when the entire thing came off the hinges and I was standing in the parking lot holding my rear glass window. The only thing connecting it to the car was the electrical wires going to the brake light. That's when the hinge recall came out and I got that fixed as well. Here it is a few short years later and now my rear appliqué has come off. I have not even called Ford yet, but the estimate at the dealership is over $700. After reading all of these complaints, I see that I'm going to have very little luck getting them to pay for any of it. WHAT CAN WE DO ABOUT THIS????

- , Huntsville, AL, USA

Mar 102008

Explorer LS V6

With this many complaints about the trim cracking and falling off, I urge every one of you to click on the link below and file a complaint with the NHTSA. This is the government agency responsible for investigating defects and issuing recalls or forcing the manufacturer to issue a recall. If they were to get this many complaints I feel certain they would begin an investigation.

Via the Internet. You may electronically submit your complaint to the NHTSA by visiting:

- , Huntsville, AL, USA

Jan 102008

Explorer XLS V6

I see many occurrences of this problems based on complaints filed by other members, it is definitely a structural problem that should be Ford's responsibility.

Other than this I have 135,000 miles and NO PROBLEMS!!! Keep fingers crossed!

- , Green Brook, NJ, USA

Jan 062008

Explorer XLT V6

Could not figure out what happened, then started noticing other explorers had the same problem. What is up with Ford?

- , Balch Springs, TX, USA

Jan 012007

Explorer 3.2L V6

Problems with this Explorer over my three years of ownership include:

-Window motors needed replaced,

-Cracked rear panel,

-All wheel bearings have required replacement,

-4WD Sensor Issue causing pulsing when accelerating,

-New tires, breaks, etc.

- , La Porte City, IA, USA

May 132007

Explorer

Same issue as above only half my panel fell off. It was never real secure .. now I know why.

Recall

- , Levittown, PA, USA

Jan 312007

Explorer

"Hey Ford, take your Crack Back"....that would be a great sticker to put next to the

crack on our 2002 Ford Explorer and all the others we see on the road with the same problem. It has become almost a game now "There is a Ford Explorer!, does that one have a crack?". With this problem being so obvious, one would think Ford "Built Ford Tough" would try and stand up to its slogan, but this is just a small problem compared to the transmission, which they also would not own up to...I am still working on a good sticker slogan for that problem.

- , Madison, CT, USA

Feb 192008

Explorer V6

I have seen another Ford the same model as mine with the same crack. FORD should have already been fixing these!!!

- , Ahoskie, NC, USA

Feb 132008

Explorer XLT V8

This crack is a defect and must be fixed by Ford! If you search the 2002 Explorers

complaint listing there are over 100 complaints with the same rear crack!!! This is

a major issue that needs to be investigated by Ford.

- , Vacaville, CA, USA

Sep 012007

Explorer Xlkt V8

Like so many others who have a 2002 Explorer, mine also has the crack under the back window. This is my 4th Explorer and because of the multiple problems this specific car has and because of Ford's refusal to help, it is my last. My multiple problems: CD player, air flow of heater, 4x4 not engaging, air bag light, check engine light, transmission, sun visor, and of course the lovely crack below the back window that goes all the way from glass to bottom of that section of the car. I'm not fixing it, because as I have seen in too many reports that the problem reoccurs after having it fixed.

- , Evergreen, CO, USA

Feb 162008

Explorer XLT V6

Like a lot of others, the panel below the rear window cracked.

- , Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Feb 072008

Explorer XLT V6

It is embarrassing because my truck look fairly new, and to see a crack in the hatch. At first I thought someone had broken into it, so I had a mechanic to take a look at it and say that is a default in the real panel. Just the other day I seen the exact same truck with the same problem I tried to get there attention but I was unsuccessful.

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Feb 262008

Explorer XLT 4.0L

the crack is very large. This is obviously a design or material defect Ford should definitely cover this repair. I am having multiple problems with this vehicle and seriously doubt I will buy another Ford product. new or used

- , Avoca, MI, USA

Jan 072008

Explorer XLT V6

The panel below the rear window on my Explorer has a crack that starts right below the window and goes through and under the FORD decal. There is another one one each side that is smaller. It is about 1/8 inch wide and almost 12 inches long. It has progressively gotten longer since the weather has gotten cooler this winter. I noticed it after washing it just before winter set in. I have had the hatch recall fixed twice and I still have problems with it, this is really upsetting to see that everyone else is having this problem as well. This is my second Explorer and I said I would never own anything else, I am beginning to think I may need to rethink and go back to Chevy's.

- , Corbin, KY, USA