6.5

1. Ford should pay for it (396 reports)
  3. paid to have rear panel replaced (47 reports)
  4. file complaint with NHTSA to get a recall issued (26 reports)
  5. start a class action suit and get damages reimbursed (16 reports)
  6. dealership replaced the entire panel (10 reports)
2002 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2002 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 20 of 31)

Feb 022008

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

Ill join this club too along with the transmission club. Mine cracked vertically from top to bottom!!!

- , Fayetteville, NC, USA

Jan 102007

Explorer XLT

I dont think I will ever buy a ford again. The check engine light came on for no reason the abs light came on, the air bag light is on not sure why no accidents in this vehicle and so many problems. The gas gauge chooses not to work in cold weather. And now it acts like the transmission is going out. To top it all off the heater started making a popping noise and went out yesterday. What else could possibly go wrong?

- , Bryant, AR, USA

Nov 172007

Explorer XLS V6

Just wanted to add to the rest of the collection on this site. I feel that Ford should step up to the plate and fix the problem.

- , Wrentham, MA, USA

Jan 312007

Explorer V6

My Explorer had been sitting in the driveway - no one near it. Temperatures had been cold but nothing extreme - when I noticed that the back panel was cracked. This vehicle has been cared for like a family member - it has been my big, green baby. I'm on my second Ford Explorer - loved them until Ford refused to agree that this was a major recall problem with the Explorers. I barely had more than 50,000 miles on it when this happened. With this many complaints and for all the ones that I see in the parking lots that go unreported, it's definitely a problem Ford should admit is a defect. I don't like it when companies refuse to listen to their good customers, so guess who is not buying anymore Explorers!

- , Nashville, TE, USA

Jul 012007

Explorer Limited 4.6L V8

My panel below the rear window cracked. My brother has had this happen twice on his 2002 Explorer, and my cousin had it happen on her 2002 Explorer. This is obviously a defect from Ford and needs to be corrected.

- , Omaha, NE, USA

Jan 012008

Explorer XLS 4.0L

Well with the cold weather came appearance of the second complete 5" crack across the panel on the rear lift gate. I was sitting in the truck waiting on it to warm up on vacation in Illinois and "pop" I i got out to make sure somebody hadn't thrown something at the car and that is how crack # 2 appeared. The temperature was cold, but come on... I sure am glad that I never paid to have the first crack fixed, because I would have been really upset if I had to pay to fix it again. Since the first crack appeared last year I have seen so many Explorers with this problem it just makes me sick to see it happening to everyone else too and Ford doing nothing.

- , Edmond, OK, USA

Jan 142007

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L V6

Like a lot of others, the panel below the rear window cracked. It goes vertical about an inch, then horizontal for about 6 inches, then vertical about an inch again. Now having seen this website, it irritates me that Ford refuses to accept responsibility for their poor quality. I thought it was odd that the dealer had 3 of these in stock. Unfortunately, this was the first (and by far the least expensive) of my problems with this Ford. Also have transmission problems and problems with the hubs. Never buying a Ford again. It's too bad they don't stand behind their product, because I actually like the vehicle (minus the problems), but Ford REFUSES to admit to known problems with their vehicles.

- , Channahon, IL, USA

Feb 012008

Explorer XLS 4.0L V6

I have been awaiting this problem to arise as I have read about it here often enough. One cold winter morning there it was a crack running the length of the rear plastic piece under the rear hatch. Took it in $400 and 2 days later and 2 days without my car. The way Ford has ignored the myriad of problems with this model is what irks me more than anything. because I do like my Explorer but more-so I despise bad customer care and for that I say Sayonara Ford I am going Japanese.

- , Syracuse, NY, USA

May 192007

Explorer Eddie Bauer

Panel below the rear window cracked twice with about 1/8" crack running up and down. First crack about a year ago in the winter but dealer said no recall had been issued and is not a safety issue. Second crack occurred about 4 months ago in the winter. Estimated cost to fix it about $350.00. This is the last Ford product I will buy. Thanks for the memories; Good Bye Ford...

- , Old Hickory, TN, USA

Jan 012008

Explorer Eddie Bauer 3.2L V6

We have taken excellent care of this vehicle which we feel was quite expensive, then we see this... This vehicle is in excellent condition, except this crack....

- , Dayton, OH, USA

Feb 012008

Explorer XLT V6

I was amazed to see that crack when I return back home from my business trip and I asked my wife about it and she didn't know it either. It's a very obvious crack which runs through the panel just below the rear window. I'm so mad and want the FORD company to fix the problem. Only 4 months ago.I had the automatic transmission problem and and now this.

God save the FORD.

- , Erie, PA, USA

May 122007

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

I have two cracks below the back window. One came after the recall on the glass the other was about four months later. I filled them in with black caulking so they won't leak.

Ford seems to fix thing half way while under warranty then is willing to fix it correctly when you have to pay.I also had a door open sensor go bad. Ford taped it worked for a couple of months then went off again and it trips your alarm. I finally replaced it myself. Now no problem.

- , Coral Springs, FL, USA

Jan 182008

Explorer ES 3.2L V6

Called Ford and was told it's not a recall issue, go to my local dealer and have them fix it on my dime,,,,they would note it on my records in case later on they feel they should compensate me ,,,,,,,,,emailed Ford and was told that they already told me they wouldn't pay for it,,,at least they have a good data base!

- , Hauppauge, NY, USA

Jan 272008

Explorer V6

Washed my car today and found this nasty crack from top to bottom under the rear glass about two inches from the emblem. Everybody says it's Fords Butt crack from behind. Don't know how to replace and they say Ford won't replaced it. Don't know what to do. I never did anything to crack it. It is winter time and I suppose the cold wet climate did it. Ford should do something about it like pay for the repairs. Some has said they have replaced two or three times. It is not cheap to replace, so I will call Ford tomorrow and bitch and see what happens.

- , Kansas City, KS, USA

Jan 192008

Explorer XLS V6

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window

I'm adding my complaint about the cracked panel on the rear door under the window.

I discover it after really cold night. At first I though someone hit door in a parking lot,

but there was no scratches or a dent. Then, I looked up information no the web concerning a possible recall or additional help to get it fixed, Now I understand that

it very well may come out of my pocket. Next, I'm going to call the dealer. Ford really

should pay for this repair......

- , Delmar, MD, USA

Jan 282008

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L V6

I just found this crack today after having my car washed ... weather was extremely cold last week but I don't recall even opening the liftgate window. After doing a Google search and seeing all the others with the same issue I know it's a defect just like my 3rd gear transmission problem that I had to have fixed 18 months ago ... also well known and Ford sitting on it. I'll go to my dealer tomorrow but don't expect any will be done to correct it. I come from a Ford family and I've had 4 Fords out of 7 autos in my lifetime and I have to agree with all the other disillusioned owners ... I won't have another.

- , Avon, IN, USA

Jan 282008

Explorer XLT V6

I discovered a vertical crack the entire length of the rear plastic panel directly below the glass. Actually I thought my car had been hit or vandalized. After making a police report and taking my car to a Ford dealership for an estimate, I found out this has been a reoccurring problem with the Explorer's back panel. The Ford dealership indicated that it is believed that it has to do with the glass is epoxied to the back panel. Over time, the expansion and contraction of cold and heat to the glass puts stress on the the panel and cracks it. Ford said they have seen more cracks on the right side of the panel. Ford indicated that replacement is covered if the owner has a current bumper-to-bumper warranty. This is obviously a defect and the owner should not have to pay a cent for replacement. The responsibility is Ford's. They know it is a defect, however unless it's a safety issue and someone dies, they'll sit on this regardless of the number of complaints that accumulate. In the meanwhile, I am replacing the defective/damage panel to avoid additional damages from rain and snow. If I don't and something else is affected, Ford will tell me that it isn't their responsibility, as well! Once it's replaced, I am selling it and will not buy another Ford. It's no wonder more and more Americans are buying Toyota and Honda. This really ticks me off, since it will cost me the inconvenience of one day without a vehicle and approximately $450.00!

- , Kansas City, KS, USA

Jan 262008

Explorer XLT 4.0L, V6

I bought this car used this past Thursday, January 24, 2008 and the next day I noticed this crack on the panel underneath the rear hatch window. I took it back to the dealer and he said he would try to get it fixed but not to expect it. I went on line trying to find the part and ended up finding a website, www.autoforum.com where I found there have been many complaints about this same problem. Some people have had the panel replaced and the same thing happens. It is definitely a design defect or better yet a material defect. It seems that extremely cold weather causes the plastic to expand or contract which causes the crack. People have tried to get Ford to fix their problem but most were not fixed by Ford. One person had his fixed with the Ford Assistance Program, he paid $100 and Ford paid the rest. Another person suggested removing the panel adding something to the back side of the panel (epoxy?). For the moment I think I'm going to get some clear outside window caulking to stop it up so water won't get in and make it worse until I can figure out how I am going to handle the problem.

- , Lanham, MD, USA

Jan 262008

Explorer XLT 4.0L

I was getting ready to put some groceries in the rear of my Ford Explorer when I noticed that there was a long crack going from the tailgate window to the lower tailgate.

- , Hampton, VA, USA

Jan 042007

Explorer XL V6

After reading all the complaints about this exact same problem, I feel that Ford should be fixing this. How awful.

- , Shoreham, NY, USA