6.5

1. Ford should pay for it (396 reports)
  3. paid to have rear panel replaced (47 reports)
  4. file complaint with NHTSA to get a recall issued (26 reports)
  5. start a class action suit and get damages reimbursed (16 reports)
  6. dealership replaced the entire panel (10 reports)
2002 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2002 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 23 of 31)

May 242007

Explorer XLS V6

If there are so many complaints about this crack, then Ford should be responsible for the damage as that proves that it is a Manufacturer error & not an owner error. FORDS SUCK!!!!

- , Long Beach, CA, USA

May 102007

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

I took it to a dealer because I bought the extended warranty. Surprisingly, the cracked lift gate was not covered under EXTENDED WARRANTY. I was told to take it to a local body shop and have it fixed. The dealer didn't even offer to fix the problem. The bee-atches.

- , Rio Rancho, NM, USA

Apr 102007

Explorer XLT V6

rear panel below liftgate cracked and busted looked like someone hit me when i wasn't looking.... but come to find out i'm seeing it on TONS of explorers so it has to be a defect they aren't willing to claim yet again!!!!! BYE BYE Ford you are worthless

- , Hannibal, MO, USA

Dec 012007

Explorer XLT

We had the problem fixed once at the dealer under the 3 year/36,000 warranty; the crack has re-occurred. Unlike virtually all body repair shops which provide lifetime warranties on body work, Ford dealers do not. I assume that instead of re-engineering the faulty panel, they continue to re-install faulty panels until the vehicle is out of its warranty period. I wonder why American auto brand names have negative images?

- , Mpls, MN, USA

Nov 272007

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

Took the explorer to the body shop to get fixed, but not for the cracked window problem, I had to get rock chip repairs, and the autobody washed the vehicle and took it out into the cold and shouldn't have, the back panel then cracked. Ford said it was not their responsibility. The vehicle is on extended warranty. and if it is a known problem ford should recall this and let people know, or at least fix it for free. its bull . i would gladly sign up to a class action against ford.

- , Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada

May 182007

Explorer XLT

This crack just appeared one day on the plastic panel below the rear window of the back hatch. It goes all the way down right across the Ford logo. There are also a couple of other minor cracks a few inches from the Ford logo. I guess I will have to have it fixed!

- , Tallahassee, FL, USA

Dec 012004

Explorer XLT V6

Same as most everyone else. I bought the vehicle used in 2004 with around 30K miles. About two months later I noticed a short hairline crack just below the glass. I've watched it grow since that time to a point just below the ford emblem. I noticed today that it now seems to be growing wider. I have not taken the time to take it to a dealer and, judging by the feedback here, doubt that it would be worth the effort.

- , Boiling Springs, SC, USA

Nov 302003

Explorer XLT

The molding below my back window cracked after an ice storm while parked at the airport. The dealer repaired it under warranty around 2003. About a year ago it happened again during the Winter. The dealer hesitated and then repaired at no charge. I always ask if there is a recall on this and told that isn't. I've pointed this situation out to many Explorer owners in parking lots who have cracks in the molding.

- , Shawnee, KS, USA

Oct 312007

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

When I took the truck to Ford Body Repair, they told me it looked like a stress problem and should be covered under my 100,000 mile warranty, but I had to go through the service department. The service department said it cracked due to cold weather (this was November in Maryland - I don't think we had even a frost yet that year). I wrote to Ford motor company - they agreed it was due to cold and my 100,000 mile warranty would not cover it (I had 93,000 miles on the truck). So - if you live anyplace where it gets cold, don't buy an Explorer!

- , Sykesville, MD, USA

Nov 102005

Explorer XLS V6

Sign me up for the Class Action. I was actually flagged down by another owner who told me his dealer fixed it for free. No luck for me and Peachtree Ford in ATL. I even called Ford who said they had no complaints and no recalls!

- , Suwanee, GA, USA

Jan 152007

Explorer XLT 3.2L V6

A large crack appeared in the panel during below-freezing weather. Based on the responses here, I am not optimistic about dealing with Ford. I was a life-long Ford customer, but I have finally had enough! Last month I traded in my Ranger for a Cadillac, and when I finally trade in the Explorer it will not be for another Ford.

If anyone has started a class-action lawsuit please post...there are plenty of folks interested.

- , Sherman, TX, USA

Nov 042007

was fixed,last year and today 11/04/07 I found it did it again

- , Keene, NH, USA

Nov 022007

Explorer XLT V6

Here I go again. The molding below the glass on my hatchback has cracked for the second time. I was told again that Ford Assistance Program will pay for part of the repair. It's going to cost me 125.00 and ford will pay 355.00. Again, I feel as though I should not have to pay a penny towards the repair of a Ford Defect. My husband was wanting to buy me a new Expedition, but I a not sure if I want another Ford.

- , Mobile, AL, USA

Nov 022007

Explorer XLT V6

It''s defanatley a defect in the Explorer. I feel that I should not have had to pay anything.

- , Mobile, AL, USA

Oct 312007

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

Had it fixed by Ford but it cracked again. This time Ford says it is out of the extended warranty period they put on the panel. Therefore I am not getting it fixed and will give Ford the free advertising for the crap they sell and don't stand behind. I ended up with this, my last Ford ever, because a compassionate Ford dealer was the only one who would give me anything for my previous 1985 Windstar that died with 70,000 miles. I've learned my lesson, no more Fords.

- , Lino Lakes, MN, USA

Oct 292007

Explorer XLT V6

Same problem as everyone else here. I bought a pre-certified 2002 Exporeser 3 years ago and it developed a small crack on the applique panel last year which is about 4 inches now and growing longer every week. Both Ford and the dealer admit it is a common problem but want me to pay to replace the panel.

Ford are taking us for a ride. This is why the Big 3 will be extinct before too long. Shoddy products with no back-up for FACTORY DEFECTS. Who here would buy another Ford or stand idly by while a family member or friend buys one? You patronize their business and they screw you with glee. What a joke of a company!

- , Lawrenceville, NJ, USA

Oct 242007

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L V8

Same problem as all the others, two cracks on each side of the plastic panel. I have no intention of paying to have this fixed am just worried that water damage might occur. Ford will not pay for it. This vehicle has been out of service for extended periods of time for numerous driveline / transmission issues (transmission out & rebuilt 3 times). Thank God we bought the extended warranty (It has still cost us over $600 for the small deductible each time a repair is made. This will be the last Ford that I buy.

- , Monroe, CT, USA

Oct 102007

Explorer XLT V6

I feel that the Ford Motor Company should be held accountable for all problems. I am all for a CLASS ACTION SUIT!!!

- , Birmngham, AL, USA

Oct 122007

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

After just a few weeks of purchasing my pre-owned Explorer, the back panel cracks. I take it in, the service manager tells me it happens to all explorers that year model, but i have to still pay for it. About $350!!! Doesnt end there....a few weeks later it starts to peel off, til eventually falls off while i am driving almost hitting a car. Car runs it over, so now its in two pieces. Ourisman Ford tells me I have no proof of what happened and that I would have to pay for it again!!!! And thats just one of the things that have gone wrong with my Explorer!

- , 15030, MD, USA

Oct 122007

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

After already having a crack on my back panel and having to pay for it. It starts to peel after a few weeks of getting it fixed, eventually falling off completely while driving. Almost hitting a car. Car runs it over, now its in two pieces. Take it back to Ourisman Ford Bethesda (where the service sucks), they tell me I have no proof and that I would have to pay for it, again!!!!! Thats just one of the many things that has happened. You should also read my comlaint about my tire falling off and my transmission going bad!! Please everyone do research on cars before purchasing, I sure learned my lesson.

- , 15030, MD, USA