6.5

1. Ford should pay for it (396 reports)
  3. paid to have rear panel replaced (47 reports)
  4. file complaint with NHTSA to get a recall issued (26 reports)
  5. start a class action suit and get damages reimbursed (16 reports)
  6. dealership replaced the entire panel (10 reports)
2002 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2002 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 30 of 31)

Nov 062006

Explorer XLT V8

My panel cracked in February 2005 on my 2002 Ford Explorer. The dealership fixed it free of charge. However, the replacement panel cracked again this week 11/4/06. I called Ford Company and the dealership and I am waiting to hear how they will handle this. The same panel cracking in the same place is not coincidental. I also feel the part should be recalled and refitted with a durable piece. My feeling on this is "Built Ford Flimsy", certainly not "Built Ford Tough."

- , Evergreen, NY, USA

Dec 012006

Explorer XLT V8

I purchased this 2002 Explorer 2 weeks ago after having owned a 1993 Explorer that was excellent for a number of years. I just noticed the crack yesterday. Needless to say I am very disappointed.

- , Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Dec 012006

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6 V8

Another 2002 with a cracked liftgate glass applique (plastic panel below rear window). I agree with a lot of others, the quality and service of Ford has forced me to never buy another Ford.

- , Ephrata, WA, USA

Nov 302006

Explorer

The panel below the rear window of my 4 year old FORD EXPLORER cracked all the way through. The dealership said it was because of the cold weather .... HELLO its been averaging 50 degrees this November!! I heard it crack will I was driving, thought a window cracked.

This is just plain wrong ... Fault design or material.

Bottom line is a panel on a 4 year old car should not be cracking. Dealership said they have seen several of these. How do you get this investigated and a RECALL ISSUED?

If Ford refuses to pay for this I'm selling my Explorer and never buying Ford again. Oh and look for me on YOUTUBE.COM under Ford Explorer Cracked Rear Panel ...... They may make pay for the repair but I'll make them pay $1,000 over with negative publicity!

FORD IT'S YOUR MOVE.

- , Goshen, IN, USA

Nov 302006

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

My Explorer have also cracked at the rear, between the glass and the Ford Logo, I found this out after reading all the complaints on this cracked. I went and check my explorer, yes inded it has cracked. This is a serious problem and Ford should have a recall on this and they should shoulder the cost for repair.

- , American Canyon, CA, USA

Explorer XLT 4.6L V8

After Paying $35000 for a 2002 Ford Explorer the fact that it is now cracked under the rear window really ticks me off!! Ford should stand behind their products. My vehicle has been garage kept since it was brand new. I have been the only owner, and I can tell you exactly why the problem is occurring. FORD in it's infinite wisdom tried to correct a defect with the shocks on the rear window lift panel (they had to make sure they would stop failing - recall) so they made them stronger which has now caused STRESS CRACKS from closing the panel and having to use more force to do it. I can figure this much out and I am NOT a FORD ENGINEER. I know of another person with a 2003 Ford explorer which had the same problem... lucky for them they were under a lease at the time and did not have to pay for it. I plan to feature FORD MOTOR COMPANY on EVERY CONSUMER SITE I CAN FIND, and report them to any other consumer organization I can until they stand up and do the right thing!!!!! KEEP the complaints coming, we need to be able to show them the pattern here!

- , Littleton, CO, USA

Nov 292006

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

Mine cracked too! Dealership told me that Ford set up an assistance program. I pay $100 and they pay the rest. No warranty on new part. If it cracks again, I pay again. Its a bad design and Ford should fix it for free!!!! I'm all in for Class action! I still like my Ford (sad isn't it!)

- , Lincoln, NE, USA

Nov 212006

Explorer

I've already filed a complaint about the rear differential leaking and Ford not doing anything about it. Now I've discovered a crack in the rear panel and see many other complaints for that too!!! What else will go wrong with this vehicle!!!! Ford needs to do something about this.

- , Knoxville, TN, USA

Explorer V6

My Ford Explorer had this on it when I bought it. The Salesman told us it was just a scratch and I wasn't going to get a perfect used vehicle. I was only 19 at the time so I just bought it. I called back and talked to the guy after it was obviously not a scratch and he told me i couldnt do anything. The car looks like sh*t! I was never even notified about the glass in the back being a recall. I have 3 small babies all 3 and under and I am afraid that something might happen when they are in the car, its really sad that I don"t want to take my babies in my vehicle because of problems that should be taken care of. How am I supposed to trade a car in with a huge crack in it and get what out of it?? NOT WHAT I OWE. I will be contacting Ford and they arent going to like me when i am finished with them. I feel it is a safety hazard because if the glass would fall out it could cause an accident or hurt someone really badly and with the back panel it could just as well fall off like the sh*tty window, This is the first vehicle I have ever purchased from the dealership and when i came home with it a friend of mine works at walmart in the car area and told me it was a mistake,,, they all call the explores THE FORD EXPLODERS and now i feel that way. If it doesn't get taken care of then i will never buy another ford ever in my life.

- , Gibsonburg, OH, USA

Explorer XLT V6

Crack appears to be either a material or design defect.

- , Goose Creek, SC, USA

Nov 232006

Explorer XLT V6

Cracked panel under rear window... Ford would not cover it. They said it would be about $450 to replace it.

- , Port Charlotte, FL, USA

Nov 142006

Explorer XLS 4.0L V6

i THINK THERE ARE ENOUGH COMPLAINTS TO WARRANT REPLACEMENT BY FORD

- , Huntsville, AL, USA

Oct 212006

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

I discovered this large crack in the rear gate under window out of know where. Went to ford and they say there are no recalls for this problem. I don't feel responsible for this . I think it is a defect and ford should pay. I take personal pride in the vechicle that I drive and this bothers me alot . I think Ford has a big problem for which they are ignoring.

- , King City, CA, USA

Nov 062006

Explorer Limited

I bought this truck used with 65,000 miles on it, it was in excellent condition too. I have only had the truck for about a year now and have had no problems so far, until recently. I use my back window pretty regularly and one day out of nowhere I noticed a four inch crack to the left of the Ford emblem. I saw no evidence of anything striking the truck so I figured it might be a defect, I thought about purchasing some type of epoxy fill and body paint to correct the problem until I noticed the same problem on two other Explorers in my area. I definitely feel that Ford should correct this problem for free.

- , Glen Burnie, MD, USA

Oct 032006

Explorer LE

The crack below the rear window appeared while the vehicle was parked in our driveway. It occured last winter. The width of the crack is definitely wider in cold weather than during warm or hot days. I believe it is a contraction and expansion problem and it will continue to occur after it is fixed. That leads me to believe why Ford is not recalling this defect. The replacement of the panel is not the solution, the replacement of the rear hatch is. That is why FORD re-designed the rear hatch in the newer Explorer models. A recall is to correct a defect. FORD doesn't want to admit that the panel cracking is a result of a flimsy door design. I have seen two other vehicles around where I live with the same problem. I refuse to spend a dime to get it fixed. I know that it will re-occur due to the poor design of the door. I believe there will be a recall as long as we stand together and make our complaints heard. I've bought four FORD vehicles at Fred Beans FORD in Doylestown PA. I plan on going to them and telling them that FORD is paying the whole amount to get this panel fixed or I will NOT buy another vehicle form Fred Beans FORD or any other FORD for that matter. FORD needs to step up on this one and make good on it. Just like a lot of you out there, I'm tired of getting the run around!!!

- , Pipersville, PA, USA

Oct 012006

Explorer XLS

I bought this car used, but in impeccable condition, about four months ago when it had 47000 miles. Now, about 5000 miles later, it suddenly developed a vertical crack running from the rear window to the center of the Ford emblem. About a week later, the crack continued from the bottom of the emblem to the bottom of the panel. This is obviously a defect that Ford should take care of.

- , Petersburg, IL, USA

Sep 072006

Explorer

When my Explorer was about to go in for that recall on the rear window struts that hold up the hatchback glass, I noticed the crack a few days earlier. The Ford dealer replaced the struts AND the plastic body panel at no charge. The panel was not part of the recall, but he billed Ford for it anyway.

I guess I was lucky.

- , Greensboro, NC, USA

Aug 142006

Explorer

This is definitely a defect that should be replaced at Ford's expense. I now have about 3 cracks that have started, not just 1. I don't believe they will even begin to think of recalling unless people continue to call them and complain.

- , Ocean Springs, MS, USA

Aug 152006

Explorer

I rarely use the back window but noticed that after using it recently the panel below the rear window had a crack in it about 6 inches across. It is also showing minor cracking at the same location but at the other side of the panel. I am sure that this will also become a major crack. With all of the other complaints of the same type, I am sure that this is a Ford defect that should be covered by Ford. I was in the market for another Ford vehicle recently but decided to shop for another brand. I hate to admit it, but the Japanese do make a better mousetrap. I swore that I would not buy a foreign vehicle but I am now looking at Toyota.

- , Carlisle, PA, USA

Jul 242006

Explorer XLS

I paid $2000 for "Premium Care" Extended Warranty and it wont cover this defect. Also, I am having transmission problems which sound like they will be covered. How could a crack this large not be covered. This is not normal wear and tear. The is a defect that should have a recall or at least be covered on this $2000 "Bumper to Bumper" warranty. I will NEVER buy another Ford. I hear Toyotas are reliable.

- , St. Peters, MO, USA