6.5

1. Ford should pay for it (396 reports)
  3. paid to have rear panel replaced (47 reports)
  4. file complaint with NHTSA to get a recall issued (26 reports)
  5. start a class action suit and get damages reimbursed (16 reports)
  6. dealership replaced the entire panel (10 reports)
2002 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2002 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 7 of 31)

Aug 052007

Explorer

I have noticed this on all explorers with this style of back door.

- , Royal Palm Beach, FL, USA

Feb 022011

Explorer

The rear tail gate panel is defective. Ford should fix this problem. It detracts from the look of the car and reduces the resale value. Looks awful.

- , Incline Village, NV, USA

Apr 102011

Explorer 4.0L V6

So much for buy American. And stand behind your product.

At the cost of the vehicle you would think there would be quality.

Since the body style didn't change, what caused these cracks on these particular years.

- , Ocala, FL, USA

Dec 142010

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window

I see this issue on every Ford Explorer I see. Not kidding every older explorer. One man even walked up to me in a parking lot and he said that happened to him and he sees it everywhere.

- , Stockton, CA, USA

Sep 012010

Explorer

After seeing so many Explorers with cracks in rear paneling, I believe that it is a fault of Ford and feel that partial payment should be made on their behalf to have it fixed or replaced without any hassel.

- , Brandon, FL, USA

Feb 152011

Explorer

I have this problem and didn't think to check it out on the internet until now - it had been really cold out, and I thought possibly it was related to the cold - but now that I have seen so many posts with this same issue and have seen it on other auto forums as well, it makes it obvious that there is a problem in the way it was produced!! I believe FORD should get a recall - there are so many complaints for this issue for multiple vehicle years!!

Update from Nov 12, 2014: I had this repaired several years ago and it was very expensive, because the crack in the panel allowed water to seep in and it rusted out the latch mechanism completely, causing it to fall off, and I had to get all of that replaced as well as getting the stupid panel fixed. The Ford shop recoginzed it is an issue but pretty much shrugged their shoulders. CRAZY! I'm worried that it is just going to happen again or that the latch will get messed up again.

- , Maplewood, MN, USA

Mar 052006

Explorer XLS 4.0L V6

This is obviously a manufacturers defect and just makes Ford look like sh*t for not fixing it.

- , Cottonwood Heights, UT, USA

Apr 152011

Explorer Eddie Bauer

First of all, my mechanic says why would you put 3 timing chains on a car?

The crack in the back panel is absurd.

On a trip to ATL, we had stopped for a rest and when were tried to start the car, the steering wheel fell off. They repaired it and I found a year or so later, the cruise control doesn't work,

NO MORE FORDS FOR US!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Greenville, SC, USA

Dec 152008

Explorer V6

The night after the first freeze of the year my husband noticed a big y shaped crack in back panel under glass. He accused me of backing into something. I told him I had not. He thought someone in a big truck hit it until I researched it on the internet. I lived with the unsightly 1/2 inch crack for a couple of years. I was told it would cast $400-600 to fix and would not guarantee because most likely it would happen a again and the body shop had seen several of these. I did get it replaced when I was rear ended, but within 3 years it cracked again. I had a telephone pole fall during storm and it was replaced again. It has been about two years so I will expect it to crack this coming winter. Ford should stand behind this but since it is not life threatening they will not. at least they changed the design so other models will not have same difficulty.

- , Nokomis, IL, USA

Jan 152010

Explorer

The first winter I had the truck the back panel cracked and split. I thought I was alone with this problem until I saw 2 other Ford Explorers driving around the city with the exact same crack. This is obviously a defect.

Update from May 16, 2011: Hi Kate, I phoned the number that you passed on to me. 1800-392-3673. They would not take my complaint since I was calling from Canada. Do you have a number for me here in Canada?

- , Drayton Valley, Alberta, canada

Jan 012008

Explorer XLT V6

My 2002 Explorer back panel started cracking below the window next to the Ford emblem around 2008 and the crack it is getting bigger. I have noticed may other Explores with the same problem. I have been waiting for a recall notice. I guess Ford will not be sending me a notice anytime soon. I am going to see is the local dealer will take care of me, we’ll see....................

- , Roseville, CA, USA

Jan 012008

- , Roseville, CA, USA

Jun 102003

Explorer

Well, like everyone this has been annoying. Since my purchase of the 2002 Explorer I have had to have the Liftgate replaced 3 times. The first 2 times was covered under warranty. the 3rd time was still under waranty yet I was told by the dealership mechanic supervisor that it can not be replaced a 3rd time for grounds of the lemon law. the time that transpired for all 3 accounts was less than one year of owning the explorer. It is now 2011 and I still have this Explorer with only 39k miles and still have the cracked Lift gate. I have been looking consistantly for a Recall which hasn't surfaced. Recently I have been looking more so to fix this issue as I have given the Explorer to my grandson since the Explorer is in perfect condition other than this Liftgate! i will post again if I ever find anything out regarding where to find cheap replacements. I have thought of having a stainless steel painted to match copy of that panel part installed but the cost is a little high, roughly $1400 to do this measure. This is something none of the owners should front.

- , Lehigh Acres, FL, USA

Feb 012011

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L V6

It was very warm outside during the day, weather took a turn and snowed at night. Next day the panel was cracked.

- , North Wales, PA, USA

Nov 012010

Explorer XLT V6 4.L

The rear door panel is crack

just want it to be fixed so it wont look bad

- , Winston Salem, NC, USA

Dec 152010

Explorer

Bought new at better than $30000. Rear end roar - paid out of pocket to fix. Transmission slipping -paid out off pocket to fix. Now back lid below rear window is split into upside down Y. Talked to Ford rep who said problem was common and fixing it would not increase resale value. Comforting news. Looks like Japanese will get my business in the future. What happened to American craftsmanship?

- , Scottsboro, AL, USA

Dec 162010

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window

parked the car in my garage and when I came out the next morning I immediately noticed a crack to the right of the FORD emblem on the strip just below the rear window. That was NOT there the night before. I saw several vehicles on the road with the same problem but I am not sure how to go about to get it fixed-I think it should be at the expense of FORD Motor Company. Anybody has some good advice how to proceed? Thank you

Update from Jan 23, 2012: well that happened on Dec. 16, 2010. NOW in Jan.2012 on Sunday Jan.08, 2012 a sunny day in GA I washed my Explorer and rinsed it off always staring at the damn crack, ah well I went inside to get something to drink and when I came out to dry off the car I had a second friggin crack on the left side of the FORD emblem. I am just about so pissed at FORD, unless they do something to get this repaired I know I will NEVER again buy a FORD product, unbelievable, now 2 damn cracks

- , SENOIA, GA, USA

Jun 302007

Explorer ES V6

ALWAYS BEEN A FORD PERSON, CANT BELIEVE THEY HAVEN'T DONE ANYTHING ABOUT IT. WE SHOULD ALL GO AND MAKE A COMPLAIN TO THE BBB

- , riverside, CA, USA

Nov 152010

Explorer XLS

With this many owners having the same problem, Ford should fix it.

- , Collierville, TN, USA

Nov 092005

Explorer XLT

Have had this problem for 5+ years now. seemed to happen after they had the recall on the latch for the back window liftgate.

- , Buffalo, NY, USA