6.5

1. Ford should pay for it (396 reports)
  3. paid to have rear panel replaced (47 reports)
  4. file complaint with NHTSA to get a recall issued (26 reports)
  5. start a class action suit and get damages reimbursed (16 reports)
  6. dealership replaced the entire panel (10 reports)
2002 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2002 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 9 of 31)

Jun 012010

Explorer V8

The crack is easy to see. The panel is loose and water runs under it when it rains. It also flapps in the wind when I get it washed.

- , Fort Pierce, FL, USA

Dec 162010

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L V6 Just noticed the crack below the rear window in the hatch. Had heard about this from other Explorer owners and thought I was one of the lucky ones, but NOT!!!!!!! Just noticed it today 12/16/2010. This is definitely a defect that Ford needs to take care of and issue a recall. However, they probably will not. Will have to do what others have stated and put silicone caulk in the crack. UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!

- , Catawba, NC, USA

Apr 102010

Explorer XLT 6 Cylinder

I really like my Explorer, I use it a lot for deliveries to my customers. I am worried that the plastic panel is going to fall off. The car is too old for me to spend any more money on it. It runs good, except for the cracked plastic in the back.

- , Des Plaines, IL, USA

Apr 152008

Explorer XLT v6

Our Ford actually was like this when we purchased from another party but since then I have been behind numerous Ford Explorers with this issue of vertical cracks under the window on rear tailgate and once again have seen lots of complaints on this site and other areas about this issue. Cheezy work Ford!

- , Scarborough, ME, USA

Nov 162010

Explorer V8

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window

I first noticed the crack today (Nov 17th 2010) and thought someone or something has impacted there, but there were no marks,just the crack, and realised it must be some kind of tension crack. When I got home I went on the computer and googled the problem and this is how I came across this site and saw many many people have the same problem, I was astounded, now I am so mad because this should never happen and I'm thinking of the expense of the repair and if the crack is going to get worse. All I have done so far is to put clear silicone caulk in it to hopefully stop water getting down inside. Ford, you have to address this problem.

Update from Nov 18, 2011: As of Nov 2011 I have done nothing to remedy the problem apart from using clear silicone when I first noticed it, now the silicone has gone and the crack is actually wider! Back to the silicone I guess

Update from Nov 19, 2011: When I say wider, it's gaping and all the way down the panel now

- , Walkerton, IN, USA

Nov 042010

Explorer Limited v-8

2002 WHITE explorer with a 7" crack in rear plastic panel. I just wanted to add another beef about ford for this ongoing problem with many many cars of same type

best of luck getting ford to fix it.

- , Harrisonville, MO, USA

Mar 102010

Explorer

I called Ford about the crack in the back panel of my Explorer. They said this is not a safety issue and since my vehicle is eight years old and the warranty is only for three years, they would not fix it. They also said that since they have had so many complaints, the good news is that Ford has fixed this problem in the newer models. That doesn't do me any good. It's scary to read that so many people had the problem fixed and a few years later it happens again. That is not reassuring! I am very disappointed in Ford! It's embarrassing to drive around with this crack. I have taken very good care of this vehicle and it looks the same on the inside as it did when I bought it eight years ago. SHAME ON YOU, FORD!

- , Farmington, IL, USA

Mar 202005

Explorer 4.0L

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window

I complained directly to FORD via an e-mail. Here's what they sent me:Thank you for contacting the Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center regarding the lift gate crack concern on your 2002 Ford Explorer XLT.

Fred, I can only imagine the frustration you’re experiencing after reading your email, and I completely understand why you are writing. Unfortunately, after extensively reviewing your situation, I regret to inform you that there are no warranties or other coverages available that would provide assistance.

Moreover, please be advised that when Ford Motor Company recognizes an on going issue, a recall or Customer Satisfaction Program (CSP) is put into place. Recalls or CSP are released to ensure the appropriate corrections are performed promptly by an authorized Ford dealer. Your vehicle is not involved in any recalls or customer satisfaction programs.

I called the 1-800-392-3673. The person I talked to said, "Sorry - there's nothing FORD can do... FRUSTRATED with FORDS!!!!!!

- , Winona, MN, USA

Aug 062010

Explorer XLT 3.2L V6

This is rhe fourth time I had the rear lift gate facia repaired and it will be the last. I have always prided myself on buying Ford's. I have never had mechanical issues with any of the six fords I have had owned but this liftgate panel prone to cracking is leaving a bad taste in my mouth, I will not stoop calling Ford bad names. I have had it. Let it be said

" I will never buy another Ford again!"

- , Tinley Park, IL, USA

Jan 012008

Explorer XLS 4.0L V6

Unsightly and devaluing to the car. Wish Ford would offer a inexpensive solution.

- , Fort Rucker, AL, USA

Sep 012010

Explorer XLT V8

Sounds like this is a widespread problem. We have totally babied this vehicle, the rest of it looks almost new. Very frustrating. Ford should recall.

- , Eden, UT, USA

Jul 012004

Explorer

I SEE THERE ARE 439 COMPLAINTS HERE ABOUT THE REAR PANEL CRACKS. IT IS FAIR TO SAY THAT I HAVE AT LEAST HALF THAT MANY CAR PLATES ON A LIST I HAVE COMPILED SINCE 2004 ON ALL EXPLORERS, MOUNTAINEERS AND AVIATORS FOR THE YEARS 2002 THRU 2005. IF YOU NOTICE, ALL OF THESE VEHICLE MODELS BEGINNING WITH 2006 NOW HAVE A FULL DOOR IN THE REAR. FORD KNOWS THIS IS A DEFECT AND AFTER A ZILLION ATTEMPTS THEY FAIL TO MAKE GOOD ON THEIR PRODUCT. I WAS A FAITHFUL FORD BUYER, WILL NOW BE TRADING IN ELSEWHERE.

- , Toms River, NJ, USA

Aug 192010

Explorer Limited V8

I have had the back lift on my 2002 Ford explorer replaced twice. The cracks is below the Ford emblem on the back panel. When I drive down the road, I notice allot of Ford Explorers with the same crack, this is a real problem.

- , Sherwood, OR, USA

Dec 012008

Explorer XLT 4.0L

Noticed this after I bought the Explorer and I see on here that it is a major problem on these vehicles, it hasn't fallen off yet but it is loose and makes noise when the wind hits it right.

- , St Johns, nl, Canada

Aug 012010

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

Nece VEhicle But this is a definate ripoff by ford. they should issue a recall and fix them, I think that one of the reasons they do not is that it would cost a lot as each one would have to have custom mixed paing to match the color as it has aged. Fix it ford.

- , Grass Valley, CA, USA

May 122010

Explorer XLT V6

I love my car and am very disappointed that Ford doesn't admit this is a reall issue.

- , Washougal, WA, USA

Jun 072005

Explorer LX 3.2L

Just all of a sudden appeared one day... you know the upside down Y above your license plate slightly to the right?! I was informed by the Body Shop Manager at a Ford Dealership that this was actually a defect and he recommended that I did not get it fixed due to being over a $1,000 and in hopes that it would be recalled soon... HELLO FORD 5 years later.. STILL WAITING!?!?! Now I notice it on nearly every 02 Explorer I drive by, and the ironic part is they are all the EXACT same, same size, same spot, same point where it breaks off onto the other line...

Nice work Ford! At least your consistent with something...

- , Madison, WI, USA

Sep 242009

Explorer XLT 6

Like many others I to have the crack under the rear window. But I am experiencing moisture on the inside and water does seem to come in. Whenever I close the window it makes an awful noise and I think the window is going to break. I did nothing to make this happen and if so many other people are experiencing the same thing it must be a factory problem. I have other problems with this model that I can't spend 500.00 on this too.

- , Blue Island, IL, USA

Mar 102009

Explorer XLT V6

This is obviously a defective part, and Ford won't do anything about it. The repalcement fix cracked 1 1/2 years later!!!!

- , Mobile, AL, USA

Jun 012009

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

I bought this explorer feb 18 2009 and it was perfect absolutly no problems about the first of june I noticed a crack next to my ford emblem on the plastic fairing strip under the rear window needless yo say I was very upset at first I thought someone had hit it I just couldn't figure out how then I noticed all these other explorers with the same exact crack I asked one of the women I work with about hers she pretty much had the same story so I googled problems with ford explorers and thats how I got here hopefully this will help cause some action from ford.

this is only my 1st ford the rest have all been GM products, maybe what I stick to from now on if ford doesn't take responsibility for these defects!!!

- , Mt. Serling, KY, USA