Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.

2. replaced emergency brakes (1 reports)
2002 Ford Explorer brakes problems

2002 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Sep 182008

Explorer XLT 6 cyl

I kept hearing a noise coming from the rear wheels that sounded like a marble dropping on a floor. This was most noticed when driving through a parking lot and maybe 5mph. I first suspected that maybe a CV joint was going bad, so I took it to a garage. The mechanic pulled the rear wheels and the emergency brakes fell out in pieces. The noise is now gone but the cost to replace the brakes was about $191.00

Now I need all 4 struts and the mechanic just found a broken rear coil spring.

Back in June, I had to have the entire transmission rebuilt ($2,100). This suv was great for the first 4 years of ownership and I didn't have to spend a dime for anything except the yearly inspection. Now everything is going bad. Owned many Fords in my lifetime and this might be my last.

- , Huntingdon, PA, USA

Feb 012008

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

Not covered under any insurance, so I am driving without an emergency brake! I wish I would have heard about this site... my son joked today that I was dumb, because lemons cost much less at a grocery store than ford.

- , Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada