- May 28: Hawaii Sues Ford, Nissan and Toyota Over Takata Airbags news | 1 days ago
- May 25: Ford Recalls F-150, Explorer and Super Duty Over Bad Welds recalls | 4 days ago
- May 25: Ford Recalls Trucks With Aftermarket Door Handle Covers recalls | 4 days ago
- May 22: Ford Explorer Carbon Monoxide Fumes Plague Police news | 7 days ago
- May 16: Ford Antifreeze Leak Recall May Not Be Good Enough news | 13 days ago
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 78,712 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 6 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replace freeze plug (2 reports)
- not sure (1 reports)
- replace intake manifold (1 reports)
- replace radiator (1 reports)
- replace tubing (1 reports)
cooling system problem