- April 11: Ford Recalls 435,000 Escapes For Rusted Subframes
- March 4: Ford Agrees to Fix 1,600,000 Cars That 'Limp Home'
- February 8: Ford Wants Class-Action Lawsuit Thrown Out
- February 6: Congrats Chrysler! Most Recalls of 2013
- February 5: Investigation Closed Into Steering Gear Problems in Ford Trucks
Door Ajar Warning Alarm Keeps Going Off
2002 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 3)
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 101,766 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 49 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (33 reports)
- wd-40 spray door lock mechanism@door jam,open & close door`s (6 reports)
- replace all door sensors (3 reports)
- beat it with a sledge hammer (2 reports)
- bypass the switch and save you some money! (2 reports)
- replace the gem module (2 reports)