Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.

2002 Ford Explorer electrical problems

2002 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Aug 082016

The door locks lock and unlock all by themselves dozens of times in a row while I am driving. With this the dome light flashes off and on and the door ajar light flashes and the interior chime goes off constantly. All of this happens at the same time. This is a huge and common issue with thousands of forum posts by other owners who have spend countless $$ at mechanic's to no avail. This can cause wrecks at night it is very distracting. Especially the dome light. Why is Ford ignoring this obvious safety design flaw? liability is yours.. there are too many complaints of this same problem for you to claim you are not aware. If someone gets car jacked while locks are freaking out you might get sued. It happens the most if someone is in passenger front seat.

- Gallatin, TN, USA

May 172016

I just bought my vehicle on 5/17/20 at a lot called grant motors 2744 fowler St fort myers fl, 33901 during the daytime, they keep pushing, and pushing me to buy it took my id to copy we left without my id, had another vehicle I wanted to buy but had to go back to grant to get id, when pete started at us again and keep coming down on price, till my brother told me it was worth it to buy it, so I did, well during the day in bright sunshine you couldn't see the taillights, nor the dashboard lights, and as driving it home turned on radio to listen to it, all's it would do is flicker, wouldn't change stations, wouldn't do nothing at all, and they put a carfax folder on my dash for me to read at home, that is when I seen the info about the recalls and figured it had something to do with my lights outside and in the dash and the stereo not working at all. Them my brother said he wondered why they continued to drop the price to way more then they first asked for as if they new ahead of time the issues and didn't tell us about any of it. So could someone please let me know what is going on, I now have nothing to drive and no money to buy another I'm old raising two grandbabies one with autism, the other with bipolar please help me out. Sitting in walmart parking lot, and in motion to go home family had to stay behind me to get home safely,

- North Fort Myers, FL, USA

Feb 112013

My power steering stuck caused a wreck!!

- Hot Springs Village, AR, USA

Apr 212015

My alarm system go off all time I don't know what to do.

- Henning, TN, USA

Feb 082016

Two weeks ago for no reason my air bags deployed while I was driving. I contacted Ford and couldn't get any help from them at all. I was leaving work in Virginia.

- Hyattsville, MD, USA

Feb 112016

I was driving my Ford on the highway and the next thing I know my feet were really hot and black smoke started coming up. Then the black smoke started coming from the engine and I nearly crashed trying to get to the edge of the highway before the fire took over the whole front of the car. Luckily the fire department was right there for another accident. It was incredibly disturbing experience. Luckily my 3 small children were not in the car.

- Jupiter, FL, USA

Dec 292015

Both rear coil springs broke. Replaced front and rear wheel bearings replaced ball joints replaced transmission has now failed and is now undependable. May fail with out warning no accidents, any of the above could have resulted in an accident Ford is aware of all of the mentioned problems and refuses to rectify the problems. This is a wide spread problem with all 2002 Ford Explorer.

- Pearisburg, VA, USA

Jul 102015

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that the door ajar warning light illuminated while the doors were closed. As a result, the battery became inoperable due to the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 155,000.

- Mccarley, MS, USA

Jul 012015

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Explorer. While at a traffic light, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact was unable to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The contact was informed that there was an electrical fire in a wiring harness leading to the fuse panel. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified, however, the contact was not offered a remedy for the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Grand Terrace, CA, USA

Jun 172011

My gear shift broke as I was putting into gear and it just fell into my hands it broke into two half a piece that should not broke and as I was going somewhere the truck just starting going crazy the lights was flashing on and off the alarms was going of the lights flashin, sometimes in the middle of the night the alarm just goes off on it on we see all this happen and no one is by the truck no cats dogs nothing.

- Columbus, GA, USA

Jun 142014

Alarm started going off and the back gate door became unlocked without anyone being in or near the SUV Saturday night June 14,2014. It continued off and on every twenty minutes, then ten minutes. This was at night about seven O'clock. It stopped. The next day on Sunday after coming back from a religious meeting it started going off again with an error message stating that the rear back door was open. It was and I didn't open it. I opened and closed every door after using the panic button to stop the alarm. It starts with the lights coming on in the front of the SUV, then the alarm will start beeping very loudly without stopping. This goes on for about a good hour every day since with you going out there to turn it off with the panic button. I did some research to find out what is making this happen and I was amazed and shocked at how many 2002 Ford Explorer and other Ford cars, trucks, and SUVS has this problem. It is a very dangerous problem because no one knows how to stop it and it ends up with you having to leave your doors unlocked to stop the alarm from going off and killing your battery. I have limited resources and I want to know why Ford has not addressed this problem since it affects so many people. I don't wish to die before something is done about this dangerous problem. I don't want my family or me worrying about my safety because if anyone finds out my SUV is unlocked, I could be accosted, or robbed or killed and nothing will be done about it because the auto insurance people say your car has to be locked. Please address this dangerous problem with Ford since no one else seems to care because I know for a fact the Ford people don't. by the way it going on now! thank you.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jun 122014

Explorer 8-cyl

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer and it has not been wrecked and I had the light that come on in my dash and they said that my seat belt pretentioner was gone in my seat belt.

- Staley, NC, USA

Feb 202014

It is having trouble shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. Engine revs up to and over 4,000rpms and slams into the gears.

- Ringwood , NJ, USA

Nov 012011

Explorer 6-cyl

I can not drive with all the alarms and locks and overhead light going off and on the whole time I'm driving. It is torture, loud and scary!!!

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Jan 012012

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Explorer. The contact stated the overdrive light illuminated, the rear passenger window cannot be opened and the alarm system engaged on its owns. The contact replaced the drivers door electrical sensor; however, the electrical system failure was not corrected. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000 and the approximate current mileage was 180,000.

- Taylorsville, NC, USA

Oct 172013

The 2002 Ford Explorer has a design flaw such that the rear panel cracks. When moisture gets in it causes electrical problems. The six problems experiences on this Explorer are as follows: 1) false "door ajar" indicator 2) rear window wiper no longer worked 3) dead battery 4) back-up warning signals no longer work 5) rear window can no longer open 6) brake lights won't turn off even after the engine is turned off. We had to disconnect the battery and take it to the dealership the next day.

- Humble, TX, USA

Sep 052013

I bought a used 2002 Ford Explorer in April of this year at a used car lot. It was a beautiful blue SUV in remarkable good condition. I had it four months, and it caught on fire while at a stop sight on my way home from a shopping strip twenty miles from my home. It started smoking and while I was fumbling for my purse to get my cell phone to call for help, it caught fire and bystanders on the thoroughfare pulled me forcefully from the car, and then called the fire department. It was a total loss when the entire hood caught fire and melted. My garage mechanic, who had just seen the car, told me that he could see no reason why it would have caught fire. Can you help me?

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Jul 142013

Explorer 6-cyl

At approximately 12:30 pm, a brief rain shower began and the windshield wipers failed to operate. After replacement of the wiper motor, and significant troubleshooting, it is likely that the GEM module is defective. There had been several days of light, moderate, and heavy rain preceding this issue, during which the automobile was not driven. After this incident, the door-ajar light stays on, the automatic door locks do not work, and there are other electrical issues.

- Augusta, GA, USA

Aug 152012

The interior lights occasionally flicker when all doors are shut securely. Also the door ajar light will flicker at times as well. The alarm goes off for no reason and usually it is in the middle of the night and I am pretty sure it is related to the door ajar malfunction. There is no way to disable the factory alarm so I have had to leave my car unlocked at night just to keep it from going off and waking up the neighbors. Also we have a crack on the lift gate just below the rear window. You can see this is a common issue by looking at other Explorer around town. I have really enjoyed the Explorer up until now but it does bother me that these two issues are very common yet Ford won't issue a recall to fix these issues.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Jan 152013

Explorer 6-cyl

My Ford Explorer has had so many ridiculous problems. This one is extremely inconvenient. The car has trouble shifting gears, it spins from 1st to 2nd gear and then I have to let go of the accelerator for it to shift again, it skips 3rd gear altogether and jerks into fourth after pressing and depressing the accelerator a series of times. Once it's in 4th gear, it doesn't go past 50 mph. My mechanic says his monitor detected a faulty solender and the entire pack has to be replaced, but that may not be the only problem. If that doesn't do the trick (even though it needs to be replaced regardless) he will have to open the transmission and possibly rebuild or replace some of the parts. I have encountered hundreds of other 2002 Ford Explorer owners with the same problem. Aside from this, I have a list of other dangerous issues that this car has had and that has endangered my family's and my life numerous times: - gear shift breaking off the steering column as I shifted from reverse to drive in the middle of a busy intersection. - ignition cylinder/switch breaking - possible spontaneous explosion recall related to the cruise control - rear latch breaking and inability to use the rear latch. - electrical system failure - doors not closing properly & draining the battery - faulty alarm system - faulty temperature gauge and radiator - Ford not allowing customers to buy just the parts needed for replacement and repair and forcing their customers to purchase entire packages only in order to get the necessary parts at extremely high prices. Ford should be incriminated for selling these vehicles knowing full well that they are flooded with life threatening issues to their customers.

- Orlando, FL, USA