- June 7: Sports Car Crash-Test Ratings All Over the Place news | 22 days ago
- June 1: Ford Recalls 1.9 Million Vehicles to Replace Takata Airbags recalls | 28 days ago
- May 25: Ford Recalls 271,000 F-150 Trucks For Leaking Master Cylinders recalls | 35 days ago
- May 17: Ford Spark Plugs Breaking? Ford Settles Class-Action Lawsuit news | 43 days ago
- May 16: Recalled Axle Repair May Not Meet U.S. Safety Agency's Own Rules news | 44 days ago
2002 Ford Explorer
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2002 Explorer engine Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- timing chain tensioner problems38
- engine failure25
- spark plug spit out20
- engine knocking sound19
- accelerates when applying brakes9
- engine stalls9
- check engine light on7
- EGR valve failure4
- loss of power4
- rough idle3
- serpentine belt squealing2
- cold air intake sensor went out1
- engine squeaks when idling1
- no socket will fit on spark plug1
- oil seal went bad1
- solonoid failure1
- valve spring in cylinder broke1
- will not start1
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control97
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling56
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine50
- NHTSA: Engine39
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline24
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Accelerator Pedal24
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Cruise Control16
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Cables8
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Linkages3
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline: ...2
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Springs1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2002 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.