- July 2: Ford Recalls C-MAX, Escape and Focus For Non-Stop Engines
- June 26: Investigation Into Vacuum Assist Pumps in Ford F-150 Trucks
- June 24: Ford Recalls 203,000 Escape SUVs and Transit Connect Vans
- June 23: Ford 5.4 Liter Spark Plug Lawsuit
- June 7: Ford Fusion Hybrid MPG Lawsuit Says Advertised MPG Is Wrong
2002 Ford Explorer
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2002 Explorer engine Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- timing chain tensioner problems36
- engine knocking sound19
- spark plug spit out19
- o/d light flashing & svc. light on, blown engine10
- accelerates when applying brakes9
- blown engine - rod thrown making hole in block8
- engine stalls8
- check engine light on7
- engine failure7
- EGR valve failure3
- rough idle3
- loss of power2
- serpentine belt squealing2
- cold air intake sensor went out1
- engine squeaks when idling1
- no socket will fit on spark plug1
- oil seal went bad1
- solonoid failure1
- stalls while turning1
- valve spring in cylinder broke1
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control49
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine33
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling31
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline24
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Accelerator Pedal23
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Cruise Control15
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Cables8
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Linkages3
- NHTSA: Engine1
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline: ...1
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Springs1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2002 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.