- August 25: Ford Recalls 113,000 Vehicles in 2 Recalls recalls | 1 days ago
- August 7: France Finds Emissions Problems in 86 Vehicle Models news | 19 days ago
- August 4: Ford Recalls 830,000 Vehicles to Keep the Doors Closed When Driving recalls | 22 days ago
- July 8: Ford Explorer Exhaust Smells Investigated investigations | 49 days ago
- June 29: Ford Recalls 8,500 Cars, Trucks, Vans and SUVs recalls | 58 days ago
Check Engine Light On
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 92,384 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 7 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- change erg/egr valve (2 reports)
- not sure (2 reports)
- replace dpfe sensor (2 reports)
- replaced coils and spark plugs (1 reports)