Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.

2. replace transmission (22 reports)
  3. replace aluminum bushings in tranny with brass ones (2 reports)
  4. automatic transmission solenoid valve (1 reports)
2002 Ford Explorer transmission problems

transmission problem

2002 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Sep 012011

Explorer ES V6

This is just awful, I called the dealerships service department to get some guidance on this problem (O/D light on and bucks when gears shift) and they were no help. I was given the number to "Ford" and called there and spoke to a rep "dee" who just told me that it was not under a safety recall (which I already knew), and that if a recall came out later, then I could be reimbursed if I kept my receipt for the cost of repairs. I explained I don't have the money to repair and its obviously a DEFECT on the car. She then gave me the number to the "Department of Transportation and Safety" 1-800-424-9393,so I can place a claim with them. Maybe if enough of us call we can get a recall going. Its scary to know you can dump 1800$ to repair a problem that can happen again, the car isn't worth that much, but its all I have.

- , Fontana, CA, USA

Jun 112011

Explorer XLS V6

- , Canton, OH, USA

Sep 202011

Explorer XL 4.0L V6

why is ford such a butt head about their trannies?They're pieces of SH*T

- , Coal Run, 17866, USA

Sep 022011

Explorer XLT

Since I bought the ford in 2002 (now at 97000miles), I spend at least 1000 every year fixing one thing or the other. I have kept my recommended mtce schedule every single time. This time, the first sign of trouble was the O/D light flickering on and off, following by engine requiring service soon light and then a rattling sound and jerking at a speed of around 25 mph when I knew something had started failing.

I took it to a local ford dealer and lo and behold I was told transmission system needed rebuilding or total replacement - and since they told me the replacement was cheaper than rebuilding, I asked for the rebuild at a cost of 3900 - being such a hapless fool.

I am done with Ford - I gave them a chance but not again!

- , Kennett Square, PA, USA

Dec 212010

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

The od light started blinking and would not shift from second gear. The code that came up was the solenoid b malfunction. Went to have that replaced, and recieved a call from the shop saying that was not the problem and the transmission had to be rebuilt.

- , Port Orange, FL, USA

Apr 142011

Ford Explorer 2002!!!!! I am shocked to see all of the 1000's of same exact complaints as I have with my explorer!!!!! I will NEVER EVER buy from FORD again if they don't recall for this problem. I already spent $2000 to re the transmission less than 6months ago and now the same exact problem is happening again, it's like a NIGHTMARE...The O/D off light starts blinking, the check engine light goes on, the ABS brake system light goes on and the car starts kicking like a wild horse until it eventually doesn't drive anymore. I'm reporting this to HELP ME HOWARD on channel 9 news, maybe exposing them will help us all! I am also filing an official complaint with ford. The info is on...

- , Jackson, NJ, USA

Mar 242011

Explorer XLT 8 Cl

Seems to be a common problem with ford explorers. I just wish i could get some help from ford in fixing the problem

- , Las Vegas, NV, USA

Feb 092009

Explorer Limited 3.2L V6

Don't know why I bought another ford-- My 1995 & 1999 exployer both had more than 1 transmission redone

- , Wind Lake, WI, USA

Mar 122011

- , St. Martinville, LA, USA

Dec 162010

Explorer 4.0L V6

we bought the car me and my husband because he wanted me to have something reliable the next week to just started happening and it never stops my husband says i should have never bought a ford. he lost his job and now we don't have the money to fix it. im not sure what i am gonna do if this gets any worse.

- , Marysville Pa, PA, USA

Feb 072011

Explorer XLT 4.0L

Well, I would have never thought that this would be a problem. I had the solenoid assembly replaced at approx 60,000 miles and six years ago)( car would not move) afterwards it ran like a champ. Recently I noticed it was occasionally shifting funny but my wife said she did not notice it. most of the time it was fine. Then on my way home one night out of the blue it started to make grinding noise when shifting gears. I took it to the garage that night and just barely made it. The Overdrive light was flashing like a strobe light. I went home and did some research only to discover that

this is a huge problem with this transmission. I love my Explorer and I am very happy with it otherwise BUT feel that because this specific problem is happening to so many of us Explorer owners Ford should offer some kind of recall.

- , Sandy Hook, CT, USA

Jan 272011

Explorer XLS 4.0L

After reading some of the other complaints looks like I was a little more fortunate to get as many miles on it before I started experiencing this problem with my transmission. My explorer has 131,000 on it when it just started slipping, O/D light starts blinking, and Service engine soon light came on. I called the Ford Customer service and they told me not enough people have complained about the problem to offer a recall but to keep my receipt in case that does happen. So then she re-routed me to a local dealer who she says is the ones who offer any discounts and he estimates it to be about a $3100 fix but can bring it down to about $2800. I have absolutely loved my Ford up until this!

- , Tulsa, OK, USA

Oct 062010

Explorer Limited 4.6L V8

This is the worst vehicle I have owned and I would never own another Ford as long as I live! I bought it and its been nothing but a lemon. Ford needs to recall this!!

- , Newark, OH, USA

Apr 142009

Explorer Eddie Bauer

I have already fixed transmission once and now at 150,000 mi it is going out again! I still owe 4000 on this car. I feel that Ford should recall transmission and stand behind their reputation!!!

- , Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jan 052011

I started noticing my vehicle running sluggish a few months ago, but it would not do it everyday, but today when I tried to go over 10 mph, it started sputtering, not getting gas and sounded like I was driving a train. I took it to the shop and they said transmission is gone. I talked with two other shops on the phone and they advised the same thing.

This is my first purchase of a Ford vehicle and the last purchase too and I have so many family members that have retired from there and some still are employed there, but I will not even think about buying another Ford product again.

- , Louisville, KY, USA

Dec 102010

Explorer XLT V6

AGAIN!!! I am so PO'd at this POS Ford. This time I was driving when all of a sudden the tranny slipped and had to pull the car over to the shoulder to prevent getting rear ended. This SUV is NOT SAFE!! PERIOD. I would love the CEO of Ford to come take this Explorer and have his family drive around in it. Maybe then they will see how unsafe it is. I get something fixed, start saving again to trade it in and something else goes wrong. I am about to cut my loss and send this POS to the junk yard. I so wish I had not trusted the Ford name when I bought my car. I will never ever drive a Ford after I rid of this hunk o junk. I will never allow my children to drive Fords and I will tell anyone who will listen what a crappy ass company Ford is. Built Ford Tough?? What a JOKE!

- , Perrysburg, OH, USA

Jul 162010

Explorer Limited 4.6L V8

The transmission problem happened today on my 2002 Ford Explorer Limited 4.6 V8. The O/D light began flashing after a hard shift. Then the check transmission light came on. The engine would rev when I pushed on the gas without the transmission engaging. This first occurred while traveling at about 50 miles per hour. I nursed it back home with many hard shifts.

When I first bought this truck a year ago with 43,000 miles, I knew the torque converter had to be replaced which cost $1,300. I did that and the truck ran perfectly until now. If anyone has experience with this latest problem and the cost they incurred, I would appreciate any help.

- , Redwood City, CA, USA

Jun 152009

Explorer XLT V8

Same complaints as everyone else. At 65,903 miles 4x4 not workig. Replaced DPFE and transfer case shift module. At 81,587 miles check engine lite on & running very rough $200 repair lasted 1 week then back to the shop because OD light flashing and loud clunking noises while shifting roughly, especially when pulling a lite tent trailer. At 87,992 miles pulled transmission twice. Replaced torque converter. This is the 5th Ford I've owned. All other experiences were great. Think I'll be moving on to a new manufacturer if Ford deosn't make an effort to make this right. It is shocking to see how many people are having the same transmission problems.

- , Manteca, CA, USA

Oct 192010

Explorer 4.0

i have always hated fords. i bought one thinking it would change my mind. but i hate them even more. i bought mine july 2008 and since then it has given me nothing but trouble. i have replaced axles bearings u joints. the back window stopped working then six months later the front one stopped working. AND NOW THE EFIN TRANSMISSION IS GOING OUT. I WILL NEVER OWN A BUSTED ASS FORD. GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and whos bright idea was it to not put a transmission stick in the transmission. morons

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jun 072010

We bought this vehicle used only a year ago and now we're going to be out around $3,000 because apparently Ford Explores have transmission issues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish I had found this information before we bought. I don't know how I'm supposed to pay for this.

- , Jackson, OH, USA