- February 26: Judge Dismisses Ford Power Steering Lawsuit news | 1 days ago
- February 11: Ford Wins $3 Million Ford Ranger Lawsuit on Appeal news | 16 days ago
- February 1: Ford Sudden Deceleration Lawsuit Aims At Throttle Body System news | 26 days ago
- January 26: Ford Recalls F-150, Focus and C-MAX recalls | 32 days ago
- January 13: Ford Recalls 816,000 Vehicles to Replace Takata Airbag Inflators recalls | 45 days ago
Hard/Soft Shifting, Rattling Noise, Gear Ratio Out, Od Light On
2002 Ford Explorer (Page 2 of 3)
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 120,438 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 55 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (28 reports)
- replace transmission (24 reports)
- replace aluminum bushings in tranny with brass ones (2 reports)
- automatic transmission solenoid valve (1 reports)