- May 25: Ford Recalls F-150, Explorer and Super Duty Over Bad Welds recalls | 0 days ago
- May 25: Ford Recalls Trucks With Aftermarket Door Handle Covers recalls | 0 days ago
- May 22: Ford Explorer Carbon Monoxide Fumes Plague Police news | 3 days ago
- May 16: Ford Antifreeze Leak Recall May Not Be Good Enough news | 9 days ago
- April 23: Ford Explorer Exhaust Leak Lawsuit Dismissed by Judge news | 32 days ago
Rattling Noise From Transmission
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 84,819 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 18 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (6 reports)
- replace transmission (4 reports)
- replaced solenoid and torque converter (3 reports)
- rebuilt transmission, wish I had just replaced it (2 reports)
- take it down put it back in (2 reports)
- replace timing chain tensioner (1 reports)