9.1

2. new transmission (4 reports)
2002 Ford Explorer transmission problems

transmission problem

2002 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Mar 012014

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

I've only had the vehicle a few weeks, and lately it doesn't want to move when I first start it. At first, I was able to work around the problem by starting the car and letting it warm up for 5-10 minutes, after which it would drive okay. Now that doesn't work any more. When I shift from P into R or D, nothing happens -- absolutely nothing. There's no noise, no bump, no change in engine note or tach reading, nothing at all. It's as though I'd left it in Park. I have found that by revving the engine several times (2500-3000 rpm) with the transmission in Neutral, then shifting into R or P with the engine at idle, it usually works. The transmission then seems to shift fine, though sometimes there's some slip and slop in 2nd, and it doesn't "go dead" at a stop sign or red light. But if I park the car for a while, say at the grocery store, then come out and start it after 20-30 minutes, it does the same thing when I shift from P to D or R -- nothing. Again, I have to put it in N and rev the engine a few times, presumably to get the tranny fluid circulating.

- , Raymond, Ohio, USA

Jul 252012

Explorer ES 3.2L V6

A well maintained vehicle with a little over 100k miles should not need a transmission.

- , pearl, Mississippi, USA

Jan 122013

Explorer

We just purchased this vehicle for our 16yr old son in November 2012. With the hope that this would be the vehicle that he takes to college, it would be a safe and reliable for him. We have only owned it not even 3months. Purchased it from a dealership. We have never been big fans of Ford, but it was a great looking vehicle and thought we'd give Ford a try. Well now after reading all the blogs about 2002 & 2003 Ford Explorers and transmissions problems NOT HAPPY!! If that many people are having problems you think Ford would do SOMETHING for these people !!

- , Gwinn, MI, USA

Mar 212013

Explorer LX V6

The automotive company knew this was a problem and did not do any thing about it. They wait for you absorb the cost.

- , Oakwood Village, Ohio, USA

Feb 272012

Explorer V8

I had the transmission rebuilt and replaced back in 2011 at about 168,000, miles after that was done I had to replace the drive shaft the front and back pumkins also replaced the front wheel bearing twice now after $3500.00. Now when I got to a stop sign it would not accelerate it just sat there like it want to go but wouldn't.....I have owned fords most of my driving life and have never had problems, I have an escape that is at 283,000 mile that I have never had problems with but the explorer is a whole different beast...THE EXPLORER IS BY FAR THE WORST SUV I EVERY OWNED I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER EXPLORER! it's like a money pit!...

- , St,charles, MI, USA

Dec 122011

Explorer XLT 4.0L

This transmission is definitely foreign made. Doesn't even have a dipstick and you have to check the fluid HOW through the pan? My truck will shift but not move in any of the gears. I drove it not even 2 hours earlier with no problems. Changed the filter and fluid both looked ok and minor shavings on the magnet. It looked like normal wear and tear for 160,000 miles. Could be the bands. I am going to have the electrical check. Hope it is something inexpensive to fix. To make a long story short. If I pull the trans it will cost $1200 to $1500 to rebuild. New is $2000. If I pay someone I will be paying $1700 to $2400 to rebuild and install. Merry Christmas Ford a recall would of been nice with this worthless transmission.

- , Eastpointe, MI, USA

Dec 282011

Explorer XLT V6

ford needs to do a recall...first transmission service not due till 150,000 miles

- , Kingsport, Tennessee, USA

Aug 302011

Explorer

The transmission would go into gear, but there would be little to no power to move forward. At the end, I could barely get it to 5 mph before it stopped moving completely. Also had rear end differential problem.

- , Darien, GA, USA

Jul 212011

Explorer XLS 4.0L

Ford was aware of this problem while they were selling new 2002 explorers to their dealers. Their customers have suffered because they have refused to have a recall. Before I bought this Truck I was told it had already been replaced once, I have read some people have went through 3-4 transmissions and yet Ford could careless.

Is there not a lawfirm out their that would like to get us all some payback. A class action lawsuit is way overdue for the 2002 Ford Explorer owners. My Next vehicle will be an Import. It's obvious that American care manufactures design their cars to break. I used to work for Honda and if this was a Honda it would be so uncommon they would good will a new transmission.

- , Washington, PA, USA

Jun 282011

Explorer Sport 4.0L V6

down to 1 car. really pissed. car gave no signs of problem transmission just went out

- , Sterling Heights, Michigan, USA

Jun 272011

Explorer LXT V6

First, I would like to say this is 100% my fault. Not listening to my dad since I was little TO NEVER BUY A FORD/MERCURY. In my life, I've owned a Jeep Grand Cherokee, Dodge Stratus, GMC Yukon, Mecury Sable and the dreaded Ford Explorer. I'm here to add another complaint to this vehicle. I had a tail light issue, the one on top of the rear window went out, tried replacing it and it locked up the freakin ignition. $600 for a light bulb issue. Back side window slipped out of the track, refuse to pay for it. A cheap trick of cardboard is holding it up. And now the transmission issue. Yesterday, while accelerating from a complete stop, it did not go pass 20mph although the RPM was skyrocketing pass 3, 4, 5 6, 7. Unbelievable. This vehicle has given me so much hell that I will be forced to throw a canopy over it and say a little prayer for it. Its done...

- , Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Nov 252010

Explorer XLT 4.0L

I just bought this stupid car 6 weeks ago. The second time I drove it, the drivers power window switch went out... in the rain, with the window down. Now the tranny went out, and the estimate to fix/replace it is $2800. Merry F***ing Christmas.

- , Paso Robles, CA, USA

Mar 172011

Explorer ES V6

If Ford knew about this problem in the 2002 explorers we should have been notified and they should have done the repairs before the transmission needs to be overhauled

- , South San Francisco, CA, USA

Aug 172009

Explorer XLT

This happened, 5 HOURS after I bought the damn thing! Went grocery shopping and came back out with the kids, turned the car on and shifted to D, and it wouldn't move, the engine just rev'ed! So I switched off and got under the hood, maybe I was low on fluid, but oh no, we have no transmission fluid dipstick! So I call the dealer, and show my a$$, so they get a wrecker for me and "fix" the car, says they flushed the tranny, and gave me a loaner till i got my explorer back which was a week and a half later. Didn't know it took 10 days to flush a tranny ha ha. bullcrap!

- , ORRUM, NC, USA

Oct 212010

Explorer XLT

car will start up and go into gear but will not move. This problem has cause me to miss work at time causing me to depend on other.

- , Pineville, LA, USA

Aug 012009

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

I own a 2002 EB Ford Explorer. Last summer it began to give me problems. I would get to a red light or a stop then when I would accelerate it would not go. I tried checking the transmission fluid and couldn't find where to check or add fluid so I took it to a mechanic who said it sounded like the exhaust? I let him fix it and it appeared to be working then two months later it started up again, $800 down the drain! Two months after that it overheated and there I was stranded with 4 kids the youngest 3, I was furious! So I took it to another mechanic, another $600 and it seemed to be fine again except now the "service engine soon" light is on. Now $1400 and entire year later the darn thing is still doing the same thing.

- , Immokalee, FL, USA

Oct 012010

Explorer XLT 4.0

After shifting from park to drive the engine revs to 3000 rpms before the car starts to move. As the car warms up the problem goes away. My understanding is that Ford has a huge problem with the 2002 explorer transmission and nothing has been done by the Company to resolve the problem.

Very frustrated!

- , South Bend, IN, USA

Dec 132007

Explorer LX V6

Everytime I would go from Reverse to Drive it would slip, stall ect. Sometimes at stoplights.

- , Roanoke, VA, USA

Jan 012009

Explorer XLS 4L

Will shift into all gears, but will not accelerate.

- , Fort Worth, TX, USA