- January 26: Ford Recalls Ranger Trucks After Driver Killed by Airbag recalls | 19 days ago
- January 22: Ford Ranger Driver Killed by Takata Airbag in South Carolina news | 23 days ago
- January 19: Ford Focus Door Latch Problems Earn Investigation investigations | 26 days ago
- January 10: Investigation Closed Into Ford Edge 22-Inch Alloy Wheels investigations | 35 days ago
- December 29: Ford Recalls 10,000 Vehicles For Engine Problems and Fire Risk recalls | 47 days ago
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 108,921 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 15 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replace solenoid, wait for defective part to fail again (9 reports)
- not sure (6 reports)