9.3

$2,829.00

1. replaced with rebuilt transmission (112 reports)
  2. replace transmission (86 reports)
  3. transmission needs to be recalled (81 reports)
  4. call Ford customer service and complain 800-392-3673 (63 reports)
  6. local mechanic fixed, not giving dealer any more business (18 reports)
2002 Ford Explorer transmission problems

transmission problem

2002 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 17 of 22)

Nov 132007

Explorer XLT V6

I have worked hard in my life.I have 3,500 left to pay off this truck and it seems that its falling apart.I never drive it hard.It was all local driving and the transmission went.I find this to be unfair and out of control.

- , Miami, FL, USA

Oct 312007

Explorer LX

About one year ago I felt a kick when shifting from reverse to drive. Two days ago, I was driving and the overdrive light started to flash as off!!! Then the Service Engine Soon light starts to flash. Long story short, I need a new transmission on a car with less than 50k miles... I guess I should be welcomed to the club?!?!?!?

- , Middletown, NY, USA

Oct 302007

Explorer LX V6

I get in the car and it won't go into gear. I'm a struggling college student who needs this crap right now. I can get past the rust on a 4 year old car, but I just paid it off and now look what happens as soon as the warranty is over.

- , Calumet City, IL, USA

Oct 302007

Explorer Biege 4.0L

my wife and i decided the best thing to do was buy a safe, "reliable" vehicle due to the fact that we have 3 kids. well, that was the plan anyway. the problems started with rear wheel bearings, then the transmission completely went at around 69,000 miles, which cost me $2500.00. so much for the reliable part! after researching this transmission problem, it seems to me that once a certain amount of people experience a certain problem with a vehicle, it should be investigated, and eventually the vehicle should be recalled.....right? i will never, ever recommend an explorer of any year to anyone, not even to my worst enemy...ford needs to take responsibility for their screw ups....there is enough hard working people being left to take on the financial burden of fixing fords mistakes..hey,ford..it's time to step up and do whats right!

- , Cleveland, OH, USA

Oct 262007

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

Our 2002 Ford Explorer needed a completely rebuild transmission after only 57k miles. While driving, the car suddenly failed to accelerate. We could see the RPMs climb but the car would not accelerate. We felt very lucky that it didn't cause an accident.

We took it to Reliable Transmission in Hillsboro and were charged $3200 to repair. Definately seems on the high side but once you take it in and they have your car taken apart, it costs hundreds just to put it back together so we had no choice.

This was our first Ford and will be our last Ford. We have learned our lesson and will not be giving Ford any more of our business. We're now debating whether to sell or keep the car. If we keep the car, we run the risk of more repairs. The problem is Ford's depreciate like a rock and now the car is worthless. Live and learn.

- , Hillsboro, OR, USA

Oct 242007

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L V8

Transmission failure on the road caused us to spend a day at a Ford dealer out of state while we were on route back from a vacation. After fitting us in to their shcedule, having the car and "diagnosing" the problem, They told us we could drive the vehicle but we should get it fixed at our local dealer. Local dealer said transmission should be replaced, warranty company said no, must be rebuilt. Car was out of service for a week (loaner car was provided). A few weeks later, same issue, car went back transmission rebuilt again...out of service for a week, they failed to replace a solenoid which probably was the cause of the original problem (should have just replaced it). Many other problems with this vehicle, will report the others appropriately

- , Monroe, CT, USA

Oct 212007

Explorer 4.0V6

I will never buy another Ford Explorer again. It along with many other Ford Transmissions went out after day one when we purchased it at 31,000 miles. We took the vehicle in with the chief complaint of it not shifting immediately when put into gear. It would hesitate, then jerk into gear. We babied our Explorer so much and it caused us extreme problems because my husband is a Lieutenant for the state of Nevada and has to commute to work of 35miles each way and is the sole provider for our family. Luckily his Warden let him use the State Truck until we could scrape up the money to replace the transmission. I HATE FORD!

- , Wendover, NV, USA

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

So I was driving down the street and stopping at a red light. Suddenly the truck had sort of a hiccup before stopping. The light turns green and so I lightly accelerate, and the truck just dies on me. So I'm stuck in the middle of the intersection with cars flying by me. Luckily I was able to push it to the side of the road without getting hit. Had it towed to a shop and they told me the insides were totally ripped up. He showed me the parts and I've never seen anything so bad, looks like all the teeth were ripped off. Ended up shelling out nearly $3100. The list of repairs keep growing.

- , South Ogden, UT, USA

Explorer XLS V6

This was the second time the transmission had failed and the car was not even two years old. The worst part was that the car stopped in the middle of a freeway and I was able to move it to the shoulder through the sheer speed built up by inertia.

I complained to Ford and asked for vehicle to be replaced. I seriously doubted the safety of the vehicle even after it was fixed but here in Mexico, those kind of complaints go nowhere. Ford feels they have no responsibility even though the car comes with so many faults. The car has since had a multitude of mechanical failures which have had to be fixed. Once I get rid of this car, I will never buy from Ford again after this experience.

- , Mexico City, 52783, Mexico

Explorer XLS V6

The car was new still in the first year of waranty when the transmission failed. It took six weeks to repair and I assume they replaced it with a new transmission unit.

- , Mexico City, 52783, Mexico

Explorer 4.0L

everyone has this problem. ford should help or dateline will

- , Elkhart, IN, USA

Oct 182007

Explorer XLT

There are simply too many problems with Ford. I bought this one brand new. Then the door would not lock, then the shift handle was broken- can you believe it? Then the HUB needs to be replaced. Now, at 73000 miles, the transmission need to be totally replaced.

In addition, the service was awlful. One time I had it serviced at an Alexandria dealer, they could not find my car for THREE days and I had to rent a car as they told me. Then they refused to reimburse the cost of the rental.

I SWEAR I WILL NEVER BUY ANYTHING from FORD.

- , Herndon, VA, USA

Oct 162007

Explorer

I bought a 2002 Explorer against the wishes of some very well informed friends but I got a discount from a relative. By far my biggest car buying mistake ever I've only bought Nissans in the past. The transmission went out soon after warranty was over but only had it for 2 years and about 50K miles the usual crap O/D comes on and completely stops rolling had that replace for bout $2000 since then 3 of the window motors have all died. All four CV boots had to be replace i.e. for each wheel on the vehicle and now the rebuilt transmision is getting stuck in second and did I mention the O/D light has been coming on and off for the everpast 2 years but I'm gonna ride til it dies to spite Ford. I can say I will never buy a Ford for myself, wife and definitely not for my kids it is the worst vehicle purchase i've ever made I seriously hope they go bankrupt or get bought out by a decent carmakers and revamp. I've never had a vehicle break down and be on the side of the road or have a need for AAA with this piece of crap I've been stranded 5 times. Do yourself a favor buy a Nissan/Toyota/Chevy.

- , Raleigh, NC, USA

Aug 252007

Explorer XLT 4.6L V8

i bought this piece of sh*t in 2005 after about a week the tranny started slamming gears making loud noises brought it back to the dealer SAM GFALLOWAY FORD to get it fixed all they tell me is that there is nothing wrong with the transmission but replaced 2 torq converters and 3 valve bodys (wonder why they did that when nothing is wrong )

they also broke a lot of stuff while in the shop they killed my gauges in the dashboard (not once but 3 times) while there they replaced the recalled hinges in the back got the car back with the rear window crucket in there and the plastic piece cracked since they where at it they scratched my hood to all hell and told me it was like that when the car came in there

it is now 1 1/2 years after the first visit at the shop teh tranny is still slamming and whining begging for mercy and a fix but sam galloway ford incists there is nothing wrong with it

this company needs to get the sh*t sued out of

IF THERE IS OTHER CUSTOMERS OF SAM GALLOWAY FORD IN CAPE CORAL FLORIDA WHO HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THE SERVICE OF THIS DEALER PLEASE DROP ME A LINE AND MAYBE TOGETHER WE CAN BEAT THIS COMPANY

Email : rossi@fedoraproject. org

- , Cape Coral, FL, USA

Oct 152007

Explorer XLT V6

Ok, like many others on this informative site, I'm a 2nd owner of a 2002 Ford Explorer, purchased with 36,000 miles on it. Easy driving, no 4-wheelin', consistent maintenance, yadda yadda. Now, at 81k miles the O/D light starts flashing. I drove home and found this forum; you predicted exactly what the dealer would tell me (dirty fluid, metal scraps, band 5 gone), except their estimate is $4000, and I was told to take the "cheaper" option which is to replace rather than repair. He wouldn't give me any details over the phone, not even the diag code information. I'm going back tomorrow to make a scene, pick up the vehicle, and take it somewhere else. It is bad enough that the darn tranny is shot, but the attitude of the dealer is unforgiveable. $4000 is a LOT of money, and he acted like it was an oil change....take it or leave it. Well, I'm not taking it.

- , San Jose, CA, USA

Oct 122007

Explorer

Transmission problems since new. Started skipping at under 12000 miles. Repaired by dealer 3 times within first 36,000 miles. Broke down just after warranty. Hassled with local dealer and Ford Motor Co, but finally got them to do some repair work. After warranty, I rebuilt twice, and replaced once with a used transmission. Used transmission skipping after 90 day warranty. Car sitting in drive way, until I decide what to do. Would not ever buy another ford, would not rccommend another ford, and still get up upset when I see the explorer everyday. Eventually, I'll get rid of it and move on.

- , Chula Vista, CA, USA

Aug 292007

Explorer XLT V6

As soon as I was thinking I've had no real problems with this car, My transmission needs replacement. i get my car checked every 3,000 miles. I should not have this unforseen problem. Its only 5 years old with highway miles. I do kick myself for not stating the slippage of gearshift when in position at times.

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA

Oct 082007

Explorer XLT 4.0L

i purchased my 2002 Ford Explorer January 2005. At the time of purchase this vehicle had approx 34,00 miles on it. Around 69,000 - 70,000 miles i was driving on the highway when the car kicked out of the o/d gear and the o/d light began flashing.. i took the car to Aamco where i was quoted $2500- $3600 to repair this depending on the severity of the damage. I called Ford customer relations, and i was basicly told piss off, the vehicles warranty has expired and ther was nothing that can be done on their end. I told them I never liked Ford anyway, and this is why. F.O.R.D stands for "Fix Or Repair Daily" these f*ckin transmissions need to be recalled, and for needs the sh*t kicked out of them for this. Aamco had 3 of these things on the rack, and the ford dealer that repaired the thing had 2 on the rack, this sh*t costed me $1880 that i really didnt have at the time. i was told that these things come in all the time with the same problem. SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE

- , Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Sep 182007

Explorer Limited V6

Bought new in 02 at 50,000 the tranny goes???? Two months after its paid off and the warranty done, how convient!!!!

- , Havertown, PA, USA

Sep 202007

Explorer Sport 3.2L V6

recall to replace deficient part(s) in 2002 explorers!

there was no indication of any problem -i was driving to work and the overdrive light came on, and the car stopped and would go no further. when i realized the problem involved the transmission, i felt like driving it into a tree... i have called Ford but nobody wants to discuss the 'problem'. i didnt buy the extended warranty because i am a firm believer that companies should stand behind their products and there shouldnt be a need to sell me one. big mistake. my 1996 explorer has 200,000 miles on it and was no problem. Somebody at Ford needs to take the blame and offer repair options for this.

- , Dale City, VA, USA