9.3

$2,829.00

1. replaced with rebuilt transmission (112 reports)
  2. replace transmission (86 reports)
  3. transmission needs to be recalled (81 reports)
  4. call Ford customer service and complain 800-392-3673 (63 reports)
  6. local mechanic fixed, not giving dealer any more business (18 reports)
2002 Ford Explorer transmission problems

transmission problem

2002 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 22 of 22)

Sep 292006

Explorer XLT

I bought a 2002 Explorer 3 months ago from a private owner with 69000 miles. The interior/exterior was in great shape and the price seemed right. After only 2000 miles the OD off light is flashing. After reading all the posts on the internet the problem seems obvious. How can ford have this many complaints about this transmission and not issue a recall is beyond comprehension. And they wonder why they have been losing market shares and americans are buying foreign. Why can't we who have been wronged get somebody like 60 Minutes or the better business burea involved? Maybe even the local news organization.

- , Hampton, VA, USA

Sep 272006

Explorer

I first noticed the car jerking into gears and sometimes felt if driveshaft coming through floorboard.Ford told me I need a new transmission at 35,000. I was in shock! I thought Ford made excellent trucks.

First the warranty is typical 3yr 36,000, so it's my money I have to depart with.

I will never buy a Ford product again even though my father never drove anything else ( he never had problems with transmission with his vehicles) but Ford is not owning up to this flawed transmission. I have talked with other 2002 owners and up. Explorer owners saying transmission are jerky and won't shift in reverse without a 3 to 4 second delay.

If Ford wants to keep customers then do the right thing and recall these transmissions!

- , Brown Summit, NC, USA

Sep 232006

Explorer XLT

I purchased this Ford 1 1/2 years ago and now the transmission is going out. It was purchased from a reliable use car dealership but they failed to tell me about the transmission. I got a quote from a transmission shop for a cost of $1,695 to $2,100 to have this fixed.. My first car was a Ford and I should have known that all Fords are still the same no matter what year they are. Ford sucks. I'm going back to foreign cars.

- , Memphis, TN, USA

Sep 082006

Explorer Eddie Bauer

I too have an 02 Explorer with a bad transmssion. It was fine this morning, and I got it on the road just a few minutes ago and BAM, problems. It winds up to the red line on the tach and will not shift until you let off the gas. When it shifts, it jerks into gear and shudders. I believe it goes from 1st to 3rd. It will not shift back down into lower gear for passing. It just loafs there in high gear until it jerks down to 1st, squealing tires and redlining it. The O/D off light is flashing and the service engine light is now on. There is a nice little "check transmission" display on the computer. The local Ford dealers were very quick to point out that it was out of warranty. Honda had a similar problem with its transmissions, and upon realizing it issued an "implied warranty" up to 100,000 miles for transmissions on those affected cars. Ford could care less. Its no wonder America buys Japanese.

- , Winston Salem, NC, USA

Sep 132006

Explorer Eddie Bauer

Similar problem as all the others here. 2002, V8, 46500 miles, purchased new, no trailer tow package, never pulled a thing in it’s life, female driven, very easy life. “Check transmission” warning in message center came on, O/D off light flashed on and off rapidly. Warning lights would come on at about 50 mph and reset when key was turned off. No warning lights at all in low speed city driving. All shifts appeared to be normal. O/D engaged OK. Torque converter might not have locked up at highway speed, tough for me to tell since I drive it so rarely. Bottom line, took to dealer, they found a “chunk of copper in valve body” and other metal shaving throughout the entire transmission. Entire transmission replaced with a new Ford remanufactured transmission. Fortunately the repairs were still covered by Ford ESP extended warranty so total out of pocket was only $50. Was told the bill would have been over $4,000 without the warranty.

Transmissions should not fail after 46000 miles. Never did like the idea of a sealed transmission. Whether I could have detected early warning signs of failure by checking the fluid regularly we’ll never know. But as President Reagan once said, “trust, but verify”.

- , Kansas City, MO, USA

Sep 132006

Explorer EX

There is a Techinical Service Bulletin out on this, THEY (FORD) say its not a safety issue.... so no recall was issued, but I beg to differ. With two kids in the car when your on the highway with no previous indications of any problem you suddenly have a car that stops dead.

- , North Olmsted, OH, USA

Aug 182006

Explorer XLT

I definitely got a sick feeling to my stomach reading these other complaints because mine was so similar. The O/D would flicker and it couldn't shift from 1st to 2nd gears. I am so lucky that the previous owner had an overhaul done while it was still under warranty (for the exact same problem) and that his warranty on the overhaul covered my repairs. Had I not extensively researched the car's history, I wouldn't have known about the overhaul already being done once. I made sure that the dealer would honor the warranty from the previous owner before buying. Good thing or I would've been out $3500. But what about all of my fellow owners here who weren't so lucky? Ford says, "Too bad," I guess. Now, I feel like I'm just biding my time until it happens again. What a joke. No recall on this? Ford has lost my business forever.

- , Denver, CO, USA

Jul 232006

Explorer XLT

transmission slips and O/D light is flashing. Ford vehicles suck I will never buy another

- , South Bend, IN, USA

Jun 092006

Explorer Limited

Because my vehicle is over the 36k mile limit ford told me it wasn't their problem, but they are willing to take my arms and legs to fix it. Everyone with explorer problems needs to contact customersaskford.com and register all of these complaints so that hopefully they will issue a recall. There you will find a question page just ask(how do I file a complaint with ford motor company) this will get the ball rolling. This is the 2nd eddie bauer explorer I have owned and the 3rd transmission I have had to replace.

- , Elkland, PA, USA

Jun 192006

Explorer XLT

Purchased the vehicle used, with 49,000 miles on it -- the day after we took it home, we noticed that the vehicle lurched out of, and into 1st gear -- we took it back to the dealer and 3 days later were told that it was a torque converter clutch problem -- were told that we were lucky that we had the 30 day used car warranty, or it would have cost us $3500! Had another transmission problem 14 months later, but that's another story...

- , Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jun 192006

Explorer XLT

The O/D light started to blink one morning and the truck would lurch out of 1st gear into 3rd -- was told after the diagnostics that I had lost 2nd gear and that the "pin" had broke... The dealership had to "rebuild" the whole transmisison and gave me a 1 year warranty on the work. 4,000 miles later, all is still okay.

- , Las Vegas, NV, USA

Dec 142004

Explorer

Just a single guys car. To and from a desk job no towing or hard driving with this truck. One morning truck just wouldn't keep rpm and o/d light stayed on. Ford Dealer said it was the transmission band. Is this a problem for others?

- , Northboro, MA, USA

Dec 092005

Explorer

First transmission failed at 300 miles. Yes 300 miles. Then at 50,000 miles it failed again. It has been in the shop a week and the dealer still has not diagnosed the problem. They would not give me a replacement until they diagnosed the problem. The customer service supervisor then proceeded to hang up on me when I asked to talk to his manager. I will never buy another Ford and would not recommend the car to anyone

- , Billerica, MA, USA

Jan 062006

Explorer XLT

When the O/D lite began flashing, we had it serviced and the error code pointed to a torque converter clutch problem. Assuming that the valve body gasket had blown and needed to be replaced (around $400 service cost), we had a technician drop the valve body after he discovered that there was 'chunks' of brass and steel in the pan. He dropped the valve body, the gasket was fine, but there were more 'chunks' of brass and steel in the valve body. The next day, the transmission would not ramp up beyond first gear. I'm looking at having to overhaul the transmission. Ford said there are no recalls on the 2002 Explorer transmission. Someone tell me how normal driving conditions causes 'chunks' of metal to appear in the valve body and transmission pan!

- , Corydon, IN, USA

Mar 222005

Explorer LX

This piece of crap has been on the tow truck more than the road. The entire transmission went out after it was only 1,015 miles out of warranty. Ford said too bad. Then the next year.... over $ 1,800 worth of work... and the dealership (Tampa) said it was not the work previously done. Then less than 8 months later... the transmission completely went out again... after extensive conversations with the dealership and Ford.... it was my tough luck. I purchased a Ford Explorer at the time they were having trouble with Good year. I was advised by almost everyone that this was a mistake... but how was my loyalty to Ford repaid? Over $ 5,687 worth of repairs in two years. Please pass the word. Post this story all over the Internet. Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Fords.

- , Ft. Wayne, IN, USA