9.3

$2,843.00

1. replaced with rebuilt transmission (103 reports)
  2. replace transmission (81 reports)
  3. transmission needs to be recalled (79 reports)
  4. call Ford customer service and complain 800-392-3673 (63 reports)
  6. local mechanic fixed, not giving dealer any more business (18 reports)
2002 Ford Explorer transmission problems

transmission problem

2002 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 5 of 21)

May 012011

Explorer Limited V6

This is the 2nd time I've had the transmission replaced , it was done also in 07. I will never buy a ford again.

- , Seaford, NY, USA

Feb 152011

Explorer Limited 4.6L V8

As a member of the Armed Forces, I needed a vehicle that could get me where I need to go, whether it was to get me to training, get home for the holidays, or even just to work. Unfortunately, my 2002 Ford Explorer did not provide the longevity I desired. I loved it too! It looked nice, drove well, and dealt with terrible road conditions like a champ. That is, until the transmission completely failed. Almost 3,000 dollars later, she is up and running again. I will not be making this mistake (buying a Ford) and will continue to talk all those I know looking for a car into avoiding Ford. If they can take responsibility for this OBVIOUS failure, I would happily stay with Ford. Until then, they are useless.

- , Westerly, RI, USA

Feb 042011

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

After reading many of your complaints im actually happy with the 120,000 miles i got out of my explorer. i bought the suv in 2007 with 57,000 on it. ran great until january of 2011. replaced 1 wheel bearing ($115), 3 motors and regulators in the windows ($600), fuel pump ($550), and now the tranny went out with a quote of $2200 to fix. Saying that, the vehicle ran great and like many of you i had no warning what so ever. it just quite on me. i have always been a fan of ford and loved ford products. i previously owned a 2001 ford f-150 and loved it. no problems. i currently own a 2008 ford fusion and have had no issues. but i would imagine this issue with the transmission would be taken care of by ford via recall!!!!! Thanks ford. and also thanks for making me a CHEVY man now!!!!

- , Dakota City, NE, USA

Dec 282010

Explorer LTD V6

We had a 1996 Ford Explorer XLT with well over 150,000 miles and NEVER had one problem out of it. So we thought we were making a dependable purchase by buying a 2002 Ford Explorer LTD. WRONG... After whining a bit the OD light started blinking, the service transmission light came on and it is not driveable....at all. After reading all the complaints regarding the early 2000 Explorer transmission problems, why has Ford not had a recall. At least a civil action suit should be filed against Ford on behalf of us disgruntled Ford owners.

- , Kings Mountain, NC, USA

Mar 152011

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

MY NAME IS JEFF ,I HAVE 02 EXPLORER ITS BEEN A GREAT SUV ,BUT THE TRANSMISSION IS OUT.AND IVE HAVE LEARNED THAT THIS IS A VERY COMMON PROB.AS A SINGLE DAD RAISING TWO KIDS.MY MONEY FUNDS ARE VERY LOW ,I HAVE TALKED TO MANY MECHANICS.THEY ALL SAY THAT THIS IS A PROBLEM WITH EVERY EXPLORER 02/03.I CAN NOT FIND ONE FOR A FAIR PRICE.NOT ANY WHERE.THIS IS MY ONLY MEANS TO WORK AND I CAN'T AFFORD TO FIX A COMMON PROBLEM THAT THESE EXPLORERS HAVE.I'M SURE AND KNOW I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE THAT HAS COMPLAINED.I THINK ITS BULL THAT THERE IS NO RECALL ON THIS VERY VERY COMMON PROBLEM.I'VE BEEN TOLD THAT THIS IS THE MOST EXPENSIVE TRANSMISSION AND THE WORST.HOPE THERE IS SOME HELP OUT THEIR FOR SOMEONE LIKE ME THAT WORKS VERY HARD TO SUPPORT MY FAMILY.

- , advance in 46102, IN, USA

Feb 012010

Explorer V8

I had to buy a whole new transmission this was a little over 10,000 miles after i had just had the transmission rebuilt! Piece of CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Newark, OH, USA

Mar 142011

Explorer V6

This is the THIRD time we've had problems with the transmission and the mechanic says forget it - not worth the time or money. This is beyond a doubt the absolute worst vehicle we have ever owned and we are making it a point to tell everyone we know (and even those we don't) NEVER BUY A FORD EXPLORER!!!!

- , Harrisonville, MO, USA

Mar 012011

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

I am now at 195,000 miles as of March 1, 2011 and the transmission is slipping again. This is the second time that this problem has occurred with this vehicle (My wife and I are the original owners). This is absolutely insane to have a vehicle that was purchased brand new to have two major transmission issues (1st time had the Transmission completely rebuilt) at a reputable Ford Dealer in Woodbridge, VA and now 5 years later the transmission is slipping again. I am not sure what I am going to do yet. I am so pissed off at FORD, I have not called FORD yet but I intend on contacting FORD. This is totally unacceptable. Again, this vehicle has the original tow package and has never been used.

- , Stafford, VA, USA

Feb 022010

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

failure of 2002 ford explorer transmissions is one of the most common and expensive issues that ford motor company chooses to ignore and loose customers through.

- , Guilford, CT, USA

Dec 302010

Explorer LTD 4.6L V8

My complaint is similar to the other complaints typical for the transmission with this truck. O/D light starting blinking and a "CHECK TRANSMISSION" warning appear in the message center. Light stopped blinking and warning message disappeared after the vehicle was turned off and then restarted and I haven't seen either since. I took the vehicle into a Ford dealership to have it diagnosed and was informed that 3rd gear wasn't working and that the transmission would require replacement. Labor and parts quoted at $5,500.

Took it to a transmission shop and they said the 3rd gear clutch was actually slipping when the transmission was warm. Quoted $3500 to $3800 for rebuilding the transmission. I've decided to wait until a completely loose 3rd gear before I making the repair, since these transmissions seem to have a life of about 100k miles anyway. Keeping the vehicle for short trips only wihtin the city in the meantime.

I've also called Ford Canada to ask for assistance as this would be the 3rd transmission replacement required in 4 Ford Explorers that our family has owned but this proved unfruitful.

This certainly seems to be a huge problem right across Ford Explorer owners so I will be discussing with a buddy who works at a law firm specializing in class action lawsuits. If there's one out there already or if he deems this a worthwhile venture I'll certainly be throwing my name in.

Incidentally, the mechanic at the transmission shop said that Ford's Explorer is putting his kid through college - sadly, I don't think he was joking.

- , Calgary, AB, canada

Feb 052004

Explorer V8

transmission failure at 45000 miles i bought the ford explorer 2002 with 28000 miles on it the car dealer said their was no warranty on the ford explorer so i paid $2500 out of my pocket for a transmission repair

- , Southholland, Illinios, USA

Jan 192011

Explorer XLT 4.0L

When is this company going to stand up and assume responsibility for this trans issue. I've been a Ford owner for years and was impressed at how well they managed to stay afloat through the recent recession as opposed to other U.S. companies and am now having my doubts.

I too, am experiencing transmission problems on my '02 Explorer... O/D light blinking, slipping, not shifting, etc. Had a few quotes for an overhaul ranging from $2000-$2500.

Extended warranty gone and, to my knowledge, Ford is not helping out in any way with these issues. Fortunately, when I had the dreaded rear wheel bearings replaced, as I'm sure most of you had, that was covered at the time. Oh yeah, how's everybody loving that beautiful crack on the rear hatch?

- , Roscoe, IL, USA

Jan 312011

Explorer Eddy Bauer 4.6lV8

¨ It was one week that I had not used my truck. Monday, January 31 in the morning I started then engaged but nothing happened. I heard the sound of a liquid, I stopped the engine and saw below a large loss of transmission oil . I was towed to ford dealer and he told me that the transmission cover cracked and broken piston , 103,000 km and I've always made my periodic maintenance at the dealership Ford.it's not normal I had to pay $ 4,200.00 to repair the vehicle with a reconditioned transmission (I had no choice in the vehicle was stationary) Excuse the translation I'm not very good in English

Update from Feb 11, 2011: I contacted Ford Canada and the attendant told me that since I had that repaired and paid for Ford Canada could not do anything for me! IT would not take me to pay! Ooch!?!?

When I called the dealership and they tell me that there already had an extended warranty but it is over and there is nothing to do! No goodwill repair nothing.....

Ford never for me, my friends, my family ...for ever

- , St-constant, Quebec, Canada

Dec 102010

Explorer XLS 6 cyl

well i had my suv for a yr and half wasnt even paid off. the tranny went. and the back seatbelts broke and dummy lights always on. other then the trainy going i loved the car . looking for another yr as im not fixing a trainy.

- , oil city, pa, USA

Jan 312011

Explorer V6

Bought the car used last summer from a guy who had the transmission repaired a year ago, Feb 10. Thought it would be good for a long time. I was driving home and the vehicle started to not respond, engine was revving but nothing was catching. I pulled over and called a tow truck. It is at an AAMCO as we call Ford and do research on whether to cut our losses or repair.

- , Round Rock, TX, USA

Mar 092009

Explorer XLS V6

I wish Ford would do the F**in right thing ! They know they have built a POS that they will only give you 1500 on a trade in on it cause they dont want it! My truck was bought after my mom passed away with the life insurance money that my stepdad got he bout it for me... Im kinda emontionaly attached to this POS I dont want to get rid of it but my good how may time can you put the truck in the shop? Ford needs to send a recall out on this transmission it is a safety hazzard if it goes out on the freeway ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh it could be bad. If they would send me a new tranny I would even pay to have it put in!!!!!!

- , ALvin, TX, USA

Jan 102011

Explorer V6

i bought my 2002 explorer from a dealer aug 2010, its now jan 2011 and my trans went. I am a single mother of 3 i work two jobs, and now i have no car..I am about to not have my two jobs.thanks alot FORDS. you sure know how to screw the little people.

- , Westland, MI, USA

Apr 292010

Explorer XLT V6

Ford should be made to pay for these failing transmissions.

- , Swedesboro, NJ, USA

Nov 262010

Explorer 4.0L V-6

Not only did the transmission go, but the 4 wheel drive has not worked since I've had it. I feel this transmission problem should be recalled & people should be reimbursed for their expenses. This was very aggravating as it happened as I was halfway to Louisville to visit mt daughter & her family over the Thanksgiving holiday. I am a Millwright employed by Ford & it makes me very ashamed of the way Ford is treating their customers, (& employees). I'm hoping this will lead to a class action suit.

Ford needs to take these complaints a little more seriously. Something needs to be done about this.

- , Lorain, OH, USA

Apr 052010

Explorer XLT

I am very disappointed with FORD Explorer! I purchased this car brand new 02’ and bought it instead of a BMW thinking I would save money on repairs. Well my piece of junk Ford Explorer XLT 02 has had problems since day one. Yes, I had a extended warranty but all the issues it has had from day one was never fixed because the mechanics from Fords said the “computer” could never diagnose the problems so dealership said they could not send the parts to FORD( back east main office) to get paid for them if they found nothing wrong with it!! What?? You mean to tell me we take our cars in for service when it’s under warranty and to get repairs done and if the computer doesn’t diagnose what he issues are the dealership will not get paid for the repairs or parts used?? There is clearly a problem with the car and the Ford mechanic says there an issue but the computer can’t figure out the part, so the service department will not repair it because they will not get paid from FORD!!!????

Now 1/3/2011 This 7”crack appeared on the panel below in my rear tail gate window is just disgusting and after doing a search on complaints with this issue which I should have done first before accusing my husband that he did it when he took the car to work! I felt horrible and thought you know maybe since I had already issues with it maybe I should check if I am the only one that this happened to then to blame him….. What a discovery after doing the research, sure enough I am not the only one that this problem has appeared out of the blue!!!! IT should be replaced by FORD Along with the other panels that I had already replaced because of peeling paint etc. This 7” crack that is on the rear tail gate probably will not be fixed by FORD since they do not honor there warranties when they are paid for and will wait till they expire to have you pay for the repairs!! WHAT A RIP OFF!! I was actually appalled when a Ford Service manager said you need to buy another FORD instead of fixing the problem because FORD back east will not honor the warranty!

I have had transmission problems, electrical etc and the service dept will not fix the problems!! When under warranty telling me to come back when the issue(s) is always there and not intermittent?? What a joke! Mind you my car had issues and it doesn't even have 80miles on it! The transmission will cost me $3000.00 per Ford service to replace; I have all ready spent replacing the gear shifter that broke on the freeway and the main steering will column on the car!!! Oh Yes also the front suspension ball joint!! Yes it cost me a pretty penny Total $4000.00 + WHAT A RIP OFF! Now add in the $3000.00 Transmission that I am waiting for it to completely go out of wack ( per FORD service dept) before they fix it!! That is a down payment $7000.00 for a brand new car that I have spent in the last year 2010 of owning the SUV!!! I will never buy this kind of SUV or ANY PRODUCT that FORD makes. They do not take care for there customers.

Oh! for you Ford owners there is an attorney in New Jersey who is doing a class action law suit to recall the ford 2002 Explorer as FORD is aware of a design defect regarding the transmission design and now the new ones have the corrected transmissions in them.. Any suggestions on the cracked panel on the rear tail gate window would be great appreciated. Oh don’t worry I am going to contact that attorney again to tell them what just happened. NEVER BUY A FORD !!

- , Los Angeles, CA, USA