9.0

$2,430.00

2. enclosed transmission overhaul (17 reports)
  3. new tranny (12 reports)
2002 Ford Explorer transmission problems

transmission problem

2002 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Dec 132013

Explorer XLT 4.0L

Overdrive light started blinking, Then would not shift from 3 to drive and when it did, wow, what a noise it made. Check engine light on and had to have transmission rebuilt with torque convertor replaced.

- , Shreve, Ohio, USA

Nov 162013

Explorer 4.0L

First of all I'm fed up with Ford. I'm a single mother of 3. I have a son that with disabilities. I bought a 2002 Ford Explorer thinking it's an American and I should''t have too many problems. Was I ever wrong. 1 month after buying it the motor blew up. I couldn't go to the store for food, take my kids to the doctor for 5 months. Only way to food shop was to walk on a busy highway with a 5 year old, 13 year old with disabilities and a 16 year old with back problems. I had to rake up $6.000.00 to get a rebuilt motor from the Ford garage. They didn't offer me a rental car or nothing, waited a month and half, got it back, next day engine light came on.

Took it back 2 weeks went by, I got it back and that same day engine light came on, took it back for another 2weeks. All this and I had to walk and they didn't offer me a ride home with 3 kids. Now the 3rd gear will not shift so now I guess I'm gonna be needing a tranny, right? If anybody knows please reply. Thank you. P.S. I also called the Ford company to complain about how I had to keep taking it back because of the engine light, they could care less, they had no heart. Shame how someone buys their cars and they didn't even say sorry. Shame on Ford.

- , Hurricane, WV, USA

Feb 022013

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

Bought a used 2002 Explorer for $6495.00 with 116,000 miles on it, went through all the wear items and replaced with new. I drove this vehicle to work for a while, enough to get the mileage to 140,010 miles then suddenly started to slip into 3rd or miss all together 3rd gear.

1st to 2nd works fine, 2nd to 3rd is gone (engine raves like it went into neutral) when you let off the accelerator it goes into 4th gear on will pull again, O/D works also.

Dangerous for anyone in vehicle, this is a very serious safety concern, if someone was to have to get into traffic and this vehicle was to slip, they could very easily be run over by a vehicle they are trying to stay ahead of or had pulled out in front of.

Ford has known about this problem for years now and is doing nothing to make it go away are remedy the poorly designed transmission and it just ticks me off that the federal highway safety people don’t make ford do a recall to fix the affected vehicles before someone gets killed.

- , Rushville, Ohio, USA

Feb 012012

Explorer LX V8

I have a 2002 ford eplorer and I'm having the same problem as every one else, my o/d light flashes and my trans slips if I put it in second gear it runs ok, but runs slugish . a normal feel for second gear. took truck to trans shop they want $1400 to repair who has that to pay taking money out my family's mouth and I also have a car note to

I had paid $300 dollars to get that Door that control the heater air condition another problem alot of folks are having to. Wow ford you really no how to show your love to the people thats spending there last to buy your f*cked up trucks. the goverment should step in and throw these truck right beside them old yougo's from back in the day. step up Ford if you have any heart or a soul left in you, if not I hope one day the goverment will step in and make all you dealers acountable for the garbage you build to sell to the people that can/t afford to buy your 20 and 30,000 dollar trucks and cars.

- , Cleveland, OH, USA

Nov 162011

Explorer UT V6

FORD SUCKS THEY EXPECT YOU TO TAKE TO THEIR SHOP ,IF YOU DON'T THEY WONT REPORT IT,NO HELP WHAT SO EVER...

- , Hohenwald, TN, USA

Oct 302011

Explorer

Purchased this vehicle used at 68,000miles. Truck ran reasonably well for three years, but within the last two years, I've had to replace the rear end differential gears due to the pinion bearing going bad and now I have to replace my transmission because it won't shift into 3rd gear. The wear band broke due to improper design of the wear surfaces inside the transmission housing (according to the transmission repair service). Seems to me that Ford has built transmissions and drive trains for some time now. Where is the root cause of this error? Perhaps the design was farmed out to the lowest offshore bidder? All I have to say is that this drive train was definitely not "a better idea from Ford". Sad that their only response is to offer a rebuilt (still junk) transmission at a cost of $3000.00 to their customers. Are they not willing to accept responsibility for this significant design error? It will be hard to purchase another Ford after experiencing this kind of customer service.

- , Grove City, PA, USA

Jun 162010

Explorer LX V6

had it fixed at aamco ... the guys said it will last for years. just over a year the damn thing wont go into 3rd. aamco said o well.. 12 is up ... pony up more money....

i will never deal with this company again..i got ripped

- , Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jul 152011

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

I am the original owner. The car has only 51,000 ml owner original miles, and this is the first significant problem. The engine shifted properly from start to first to 2nd, then it felt like the engine got disconnected from the transmission. I had a hard time getting on a freeway on-ramp. Once the car is in 4th all is fine again (this far), until I come on a 15% grade, where it needs to shift to 3rd.. The car was never used for towing. Very annoying, since I like the way it handles, and I was going to take it on my vacation trip in two weeks. I thought that Ford made good products.

- , ALtadena, CA, USA

May 242011

Explorer XLT V8

OD light was blinking,took to Friendly Ford in Roselle,IL. & was told trans had to be pulled to analysis problem...(found out later not true,pan could have been dropped & if need be valve body could be removed to analysis...1/2 hour labor). Friendly said the cost to drop trans & find problem, $675.00. Then they called & said problem was a broken band & trans case was scored, cost for new trans case $3,600.,cost for new trans $4,200. I opted for new trans, the trans that they put in was remanufactured NOT NEW. cost of trans $2,670. Total Labor $1,527.84 for a total bill of $4,410. Friendly is claiming a 13 hour process at a labor cost of $110. per hour for a job that should only take a total of 6 hours by admission of mechanic who did the labor. I haven't figured out until I talk to my Lawyer if this is just a price gouge suit or a price gouge of Seniors law suit. Ford does not recognise this as a problem with their transmissions, yet I was told they had a stainless steel part that would cure this issue ????

Update from Oct 22, 2011: Ford does not recognise the problem & therefore will not do a good will repair, even though complaint after complaint has been filed about this problem & Ford came out with a stainless steel part to fix the problem that they will not own up to. Then their dealers, particularly, Friendly Ford, price gouges customers to fix the problem. Never had a problem with a Toyota, maybe this is why People are showing loyalties to Foreign Car Makers!!!!!

- , Elk Grove Village, IL, USA

Dec 182009

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.3L

.All I can say is, I will never buy another ford again,If you build a piece of crap, you should be able to fix the problem.

- , Westlock, Alberta, canada

Jun 012011

-O/D light is blinking.

-Once shifted into drive you have to wait a bit before pushing the gas or it will just rev up and go no where.

-you have to dance around 3rd gear to get it to shift

-sometimes it will buck when shifted into gear, and even stall out. you have to give it gas to keep the RPMs up and then it will shift, buck forward or back and GO!!!

- , St.Albans, VT, USA

Mar 202011

Explorer XLT 3.2L V6

Have owned this car since it had 26500 miles. Never towed anything. Never abused it. No indication that there was any problem it just made a big squeel and thumped into 4th. Took it to the dealer and it cost 126 bucks for them to tell me they couldn't tell me how much to repair other than a rebuilt with 3yr 100m mile was 3200 plus installation. I now looking for a used or rebuilt from another source.

Update from Jun 9, 2011: I have already had the transmission repair by a independant repair shop. ($1200). I wish I would have gotten the reply to my complaint sooner, I surely would have ask for a "good will" repair.

- , Greenup, KY, USA

Apr 122011

Explorer XLT 4.2L

I have read the posts and it sucks that ford has this problem.. Our 2002 Ford explorer xlt has about 135,000 miles on it and about 8 days ago all of the sudden it wont shift into 3rd gear. You have to rev the engine and then it kicks in. We are trying to find out why and how much it will be to fix. But its true who has that kind of money just there at all times.. Lets hope we get it fixed soon. They need to recall it.

- , Whittier, CA, USA

Jan 052011

Explorer

i have a 2002 ford explorer with a102,000 miles and the only problem i have is the tranmission .I took it an ,and the repair are anywhere from 2000-3000 dollars who has that kind of money laying around these day .

- , Baltimore, Maryland, USA

Mar 042011

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

Un freakin believable. I guess you could say I'm lucky the transmission lasted up to 140,000 miles compared to others but it still stings that Ford is screwing us all over big time. We need a class action lawsuit on this. we need a recall! What a crap product. I really like the Explorer. it's awesome. Really sad they had to put a crap transmission in it.

- , Orting, WA, USA

Oct 152009

Explorer XLT 4.0L

got the car paid off and the transmission started slipping, bought my wife another car and I'm still stuck with the explorer.

- , Millington, TN, USA

Sep 012010

Explorer XLT 3.2L V6

Ford needs to do better. American auto makers wonders why people buy from other countries. Before I got this junk, I owned a nissan sentra for almost 15 years. I had to get the transmission fixed 1 time. I first got the car 7 miles and when it died on me 176,000 miles. Greed has stopped the auto makers from building a real good product. Ford needs a foot in their ass.

- , Picayune, MS, USA

Aug 192010

Explorer V6

This is now the second transmission to go out on this car. The first time the transmission went the miles were 65,000. Now the rebuilt (because you can't get a new one) transmission is showing the same problems as before. Ford should really step up and admit that they made a mistake with the transmission. I am complaining to every agency that will listen. Ford should resolve this problem with all of their customers. Any class action law suits going on surrounding this issue??

- , Houston, TX, USA

Aug 062010

Explorer XLT V6

JUst shocked to learn that it is an existing problem, yet nobody wants to own up to it. nice.wish i could treat my customer that way and still be "successful"

- , Berlin, MD, USA

Jul 052010

Explorer XLT V6

i noticed the od light flashing and then it would quit for a while then start back after a few weeks the transmission would slip going from first to second then it cleared up a few weeks after that now its doing it from second to third. od light blinks and mechanic said solenoid in transmission looking at over 600.00 thats just to get started. if any one knows of something that ford has rcecalled that may help i sure would like to know.

- , Birchwood, TN, USA