Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.

1. replace rear windshield (35 reports)
  2. ford should pay for it (27 reports)
  4. had it repaired for $400 from dealer (1 reports)
  5. i have had to replace all these items with ford replacements (1 reports)
2002 Ford Explorer windows / windshield problems

windows / windshield problem

2002 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Apr 272012

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L

rear lift gate window exploded

Add my second rear window explosion to the other 20 or so problems I've had with this piece of junk. I encourage everyone to pot your complaints to Fords facebook page, if Ford has the balls to put up a page..... I would drop this POS off at my local landfill but I hate to insult the garbage already there!!

- , Cuba, NY, USA

Jul 052008

I own a 2002 Ford Explorer. In 2008 or 2009 while on vacation, I unloaded my trunk at the hotel , closed it and the whole back window shattered. I'm thankful that I removed my small child from the vehicle minutes earlier as her car seat was full of glass!!! I recently found out the 2002 Ford Explorer's transmissions were built wrong. I just had my transmission replaced. I am a very dissatisfied Ford customer and want to join any class action lawsuit there is on the window and transmission

- , Birmingham, AL, USA

Dec 012011

Explorer 4.0L V6

FORD= Fix or Repair Daily, Found On Roadside Dead, Found On Redfields Dump!!!!! Same problem here. Went to open back window, didn't open all the way, so when lifting window up the glass, it exploded. Was a bit cold but apparently that doesn't matter. Thankfully it wasn't my wife or kids this happened to. No injuries. Thankfully I have full coverage, so the glass is covered but its a rare item. No telling how long it'll take to fix, and no telling if the bottom plastic housing needs to be replaced.

- , Central Square, NY, USA

Aug 202011

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

On saturday, Aug. 20 2011, bought catfood. Went to load using back hatch glass. Glass raised normally, but when I went to close glass next thing I knew had thousands of shards of glass everywhere. Around my ankles, ground, on the roof and all over the back of vehicle.

- , Benton, ME, USA

Dec 032011

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

Opened rear lift gate, lift gate slowly kept dropping down because hydraulic strut supports not holding lift gate up properly, so pushed back up with hand and then window exploded into a million pieces, completely destroyed; glass and lower frame fell all around me and tons of glass in back of car.

- , Annapolis, MD, USA

Jun 202011

Explorer 2dr Sport

Back in June, my fiance was driving down a paved street in our city. Didn't think much of it, till all of a sudden the rear hatch window while driving exploded. It was a sunny day about 80 degrees, thought maybe it had something to do with the heat, that because it got too hot while driving that it would break. So we took it in a couple of days later to get the window fixed, spent $500 and didn't think much of it. When we got it to the shop, they said it would was going to cost about $250 to replace it. When we brought it back in to get it replaced, they said it was the wrong window and going to cost $500. There is some special type of window for this make and model that it requires. So, we spent the $500 and got the new window. For some reason, after that, never could open the back door again with that window. It would never pop open. So, we just decided to leave it be and not use it. No big deal. Yesterday, October 30, 4 months later, my now husband, takes the vehicle to the car wash to get it washed, its a nice fall day, sunny, and 50 degrees. He starts spraying the car, and the back window just shatters all over again. He had to spend most the time in the car wash spraying the glass down the drain. Now, don't you think there is really something going wrong with this? I mean, 2 windows in 4 months, what if we had kids in the back seat. Thankfully, at this point, we are taking the car in tomorrow, but it should be covered under warranty. Will let ya know how this turns out again. And btw, we are looking for a new car now.

- , Sioux City, IA, USA

Oct 012011

Explorer XLT V6

Just yesterday my family and I were getting ready to go out and spend some quality time with each other. I had asked my oldest son who is 13 years old to help me carry some small bags and load them at the back end of my wife's explorer. The second I pushed the button to unlatch the back glass window the whole glass just shattered into a million pieces. Tiny little pieces of glass were all over me and my son. I had a few minor cuts and scratches. My son thankfully did not. He only had pieces of glass all over his hair. If there are so many complaints about these back glasses shattering, shouldn't there be a recall?

- , Humble, TX, USA

Mar 252011

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

Opened rear liftgate to load groceries, liftgate slowly kept dropping down because hydraulic strut supports not holding liftgate weight up properly, so pushed back up with hand and then window exploded into a million pieces, completely destroyed; glass and lower frame fell all around me and tons of glass in back of car. Temperature was around 40 F degrees.

- , Fairfield, CT, USA

May 012011

Explorer 4.6L

Have been a Ford owner all my life. Have a 2002 Ford Explorer and have had nothing but trouble with it. This morning I opened the back window and the struts would not hold the window up so I went and lifted the window back up and it exploded all over me. Will NEVER buy a ford vehicle again.

- , Scribner, NE, USA

Dec 262010

Explorer XLT V6

I guess I now fall into the class of unfortunate ford owners that have bought a so-called american car. I was lifting up the rear hatch of my wife's explorer when it exploded sending glass all over my garage. I have had other issues with this fricken car also. I own a toyota tecoma truck, and toyota made it right by their frame rusting issues. I have since purchased a new toyota truck which I love. I will never buy another ford product again. So if you work for ford, and are reading this, maybe you should start looking for another job. At this rate ford will be owned by the government soon. I am not sure if insurance will pay for this or not. If not I guess I'll be going to the junk yard, to buy a windhield for the junk I have to put it on. they were right when they said FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily

- , Franklin, OH, USA

Feb 262011

Explorer Eddie Baur 4.6L

click to see larger images

rear lift gate window exploded rear lift gate window exploded

With reading all the other complaints on here and it dealing with the same problem and my uncle has the same model Explorer hes done the same thing. I think something needs to be done and this problem needs to be checked in on. I'm just glade my 4 year old and 12 year old son was not around at the time my back glass shattered or they would of been hurt really bad. I barely did shut my back glass down when it shattered all to pieces. My wife was inside the house and heard it shatter. I will never buy another ford vehicle. We have had nothing but trouble out of this vehicle since we've had it. It started with the four wheel drive and then the brakes and now the back glass shattering. Its sad when you buy a vehicle and you have problems like this especially a American made. What if my kids was sitting in the back seat and this window shattered into piecs my children would of been hurt really bad.. Ford needs to replace this instead of money out of my pocket..

- , Grundy, VA, USA

Nov 132010

I had to replace the struts on this window in a recall and it has not been worth a tinkers damn since. It would never stay up. Had to hold it up to load and unload. The struts they put on only lasted the first summer and then it might as well had string for struts. Upon closing at the local grocery, the whole window exploded into shards about 1/3 the way down. Upon examining the mess, I found the left strut would not close no matter how much you pushed. Before, a child could close them both with no trouble. The window and struts were defective. Going to call Ford.

Update from Nov 26, 2014: I am replacing window raising motors over and over again. Have replaced all 4 windows once and am replacing the rear window motors again plus the passinger side motor is sluggish and may need to be replaced again.

The panel below the rear tailgate window has split again. Replaced the tailgate window unit completly once and now the FORD replacement has split again. The glass is still intact. I have replaced the hydraulic hinges on the window twice. The hinges on the hood no longer hold up the hood.

- , Waxahachie,, TX, USA

Oct 092010

rear lift gate window exploded

All I have to say is....Don't ever buy a Ford, any make, any model, period. Customer NO Service is and has always been rampant with this so called (suppose to be purchased with pride) "American" company. Ford is a disgrace to North America in every aspect, and the only reason they didn't accept money from the federal government when they could is because they rip any and all of their customers off and don't need any help in that area.

- , Lilburn, GA, USA

Aug 052010

Explorer XLT V8

Several years ago we took our Explorer to the dealer for the rear glass strut attachment recall. We had this fix immediately upon getting the recall card. The dealer applied some sort of glue between the glass and the strut attachment bracket. Last night I opened the tailgate window (not the whole tailgate), upon closing the glass when the window was about 1/3 of the way down, it exploded. I was applying mo more pressure than normal and was pushing from the center. The wiper panel hit the ground just missing me, I received several minor cuts on the back of my hand. It could have been much worst. To me, clearly this is a defect in design. Called the dealer this AM, they said they have seen this issue before and agree its a defect, but still want to charge $1200 + paint of the rear panel.

- , Ramona, CA, USA

Oct 062009

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

one day when closing the rear hatch on my explorer it exploded in a million pieces causing me 1000 bucks to fix and drive with a garbage bag for a week. what is wrong with fords vehicles this is only one of the many problems happeneding with my explorer

- , Hornell, NY, USA

Feb 092010

Explorer ES

More of the same. Rear window hatch would not stay open. Lifted it a second time and it exploded everywhere. (weather cold) Headed home with my right hand steering and bleeding all over the place, and my left hand holding driver door as it wouldn't shut. It's good to be able to multi-task. :-P My VIN number is not on the list for potential problems.

- , Overland Park, KS, USA

Jan 182010

Explorer Limited V8

Recently, I took my 2002 Ford Explorer into the local Ford dealership for a recall concerning the cruise control. Since I was having problems with rear liftgate window staying up, particularly during cold weather, I decided to have the service department replace the struts because the hydraulic gaskets were worn and leaking. Plus, water from outside was leaking inside the window through the mounts of the top hinges of the window.

Guess what happen. After I gave them permission, they replace the hinges first, which were the ones they installed in 2006 as a recall, because they found them loose and worn. Soon after they replaced them, the window exploded. First, the service advisor said that the dealership would furnish and install the window and lift gate at their expense. The next day, he was overruled by the manager and I was told that it was not their fault even though my car was under their care. I call Ford Customer Relations Center the next day and the representative told me that there was no "coverage" and he agreed that the dealership was not at fault. He offered no apology that Ford could not help me.

To keep a long story short, I had to file an insurance claim, My insurance will pay for the repair except for my deductible. Now, iIt has been 2 weeks since the incident and my vehicle is still not repaired because they don' have the liftgate assembly yet from the Lower 48. At least that what they tell me but I think the body shop is full. Maybe this week, I'll have my car back.

Bottom line...the rear window liftgate is defective on the 2002 Ford Explorers and continues to be even with the recall a few years ago that was supposed to have solved the problem. I think that Ford is responsible every time this window explodes. Therefore, Ford should have extended coverage policy to repair them at their expense for at least 10 years or 150,000 miles. Overall, this experience has left a sour taste with me on how much Ford values me as a loyal customer.

- , Anchorage, AK, USA

Jan 122010

Explorer 4.6L V8

As with the most of you, I came out after a long day of work and went to go load some of my things into my truck. When I popped the window it shattered. We are probably going to trade in the vehicle this weekend because since I have had this vehicle... I have had nothing but problems with it. In the first year I had it, I had to replace the engine. The second I had to fix the transmissions and since then my 4wd does not work which was part of the reason I bought the truck and now this is the third year that I have had the vehicle and we have replaced the alternator, window regulator, battery, and now the back hatch which you can't just replace the window cause that would be too easy for us who had glass exploded all over us. Ford seriously needs to address this situation before someone gets hurt. I think we need to start making formal complaints with ford themselves. Here is the Ford number...1-800-392-3673

- , Havelock, NC, USA

Dec 292009

Explorer SLT 4.3L

Looks like I'm one of many here. Cold outside today, popped the rear hatch but it did not open all the way. I opened it and it exploded. Not much force was required to open it, but apparently enough. Really made a mess. My deductible is too high to cover it, but it looks like it'll cost ~$850. Ford needs to address this!!

- , South Riding, VA, USA

Dec 102009

Explorer XLT 4.6L V8

My wife was putting some things in the back of our Explorer this evening and she came in the house and told me I needed to see something and I should probably wear my shoes. You guessed it, the rear window exploded when she was lifting it up (I was just going to change the lift gate struts this weekend because they are at the end of their useful life and don't work well in the cold). She didn't have the window all the way up so it wasn't from putting pressure on the hinges. It is fairly cold this evening when it happened (about 15 degrees F), but it's been in much colder weather than that before and there were no problems. The cold possibly could have helped the problem along, but from reading other posts temperature doesn't seem to be the main contributing factor.

Anybody that would design two small hinges to be imbeded in the glass, like those on the '02 Explorers are, must have been smoking some wacky tobaccy. That seems to be the problem with cars these days, car makers try to make things look good and streamlined, but sometimes it's at the cost of solid production and durable functionality. Sorry, I had to get that off my chest.

When I saw the potential cost to replace the window my jaw dropped to the floor. I really hope my insurance will cover a rear window. I know I have windshield replacement coverage, but I'm not sure if it covers all glass panels. I'll find out tomorrow when my wife talks to our agent.

This is clearly something Ford needs to address before someone seriously gets an eye full of glass and goes blind and they find themselves in a major lawsuit.

- , Vale, OR, USA