CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.

6.6

1. Ford should recall (223 reports)
  2. repair or replace tailgate (143 reports)
  4. replace the panel (28 reports)
  5. need a redesigned tailgate (22 reports)
  6. ford needs to pay for being fixed (13 reports)
2003 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2003 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 13 of 28)

Nov 292008

Explorer V6

I always look at the back panel of the Explorers I see on the road and I see the same cracks as on my vehicle. Def..a defect and FORD should fix this for us.

- , Blue River, WI53581, USA

Oct 012008

Explorer Eddie Bauer

I have see numerous Ford Explorers with the same defect and I think vehicle owners do not realize it is a common defect throughout this model and is visible on newer models.

- , Islamorada, FL, USA

Nov 102009

Explorer V6

I own a 2003 XLT.I woke one winter morning and noticed a crack on the back panel lift gate. The crack is vertical , about 6" long . The crack is now cracking to the left.I first thought that someone came along and cut the plastic panel as it was so perfect.

I have seen only 1 other Explorer on the road in my area with this problem .I thought to myself that this must be an isolated incident until I found this site and read on . With all the complaints listed here, why does Ford not wake up, take action and recall this faulty design ?

- , BayShore, NY, USA

Aug 152009

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L

I too have been upset with the crack that appeared down the rear panel on my 2003 Ford Explorer. It was in August so it happened to be in the hot weather. I take good care of my vehicles and have always had Ford vehicles. This is my third Ford Explorer. I agree with others that Ford should be paying for these repairs. I may be looking at other Makes to replace this one. I do like the Explorer but I am getting tired of paying for all these little problems I am experiencing with this model. It all adds up!

- , Benicia, CA, USA

Apr 052010

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

Just wanted to added my whine to the din! Already bought a replacement Infinity and will use this formerly desirable vehicle to teach my kids how to drive. As others have said, Ford should fix it's own problems. We have cared for our vehicles and this problem is only due to manufacturer design flaws. FIX IT FORD!!

- , Calgary, AB, Canada

Oct 222009

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

My explorer is in mint condition except for this hidiuos crack below the hatch window. My vehicle is kept in the garage and has been well maintained and I think Ford should fix this problem for all explorer owners!

- , Larue, TX, USA

Dec 132008

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L

I have read alot of these complaints about the same thing the rear panel cracking.I agree with all.You work you're butt off to be able to buy a nice vehicle & the panel cracks just because its cold outside.If I had known then what I have read now the vehicle would have stayed on the lot.I think that it should be a recall they recall for everything else why not this especially when they apparently have figure it out & are making the whole back different.

- , Abingdon, VA, USA

Nov 172009

Explorer XLT V6

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window

When I noticed the crack in my rear hatch, I was very pissed off to see a crack where I have no idea how it could have occurred. I spoke with one of my friends and was told that another friend of ours have the exact same crack in her Ford Explorer as well. Then as I drove around and saw more vehicles like mine I find myself lurking to find the same defect and 90% of the time the vehicle has the same defect. Ford understands this problem and it sucks that they will not do anything about this defect...this is more of the reason people do not buy American made cars especially ford cars because of the manufacturing defects that happen and they do nothing to solve the problem. A problem as simple as replacing the hatchbacks with a more pressure treated part that will resistant in cracking with environmentally stress issues. I will not buy American again...sucks to be working for a ford company. I will help fight this any way possible please feel free to provide advice.

- , Columbus, GA, US

Aug 012009

Explorer 4.0L

I think Ford needs to fix this problem. I have seen a lot of Fords around town that have this problem. So what are they going to do about this?

- , Lakeland, FL, USA

Mar 062010

Explorer Limited V6

Seems to be a common default, I see a lot of these same broken rear panels.

My first Ford, not real happy with it.

- , Leander, TX, US

Nov 212009

Explorer XLS 4.0L

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window

I have seen so many Ford Explorers like mine in North Carolina with the same crack and It makes me believe that this is a factory defect that should be covered by the manufacturer......lets fight for are rights. Call the consumer affairs division of your State Attorney Generals Office. This can be found on your states governmental website and often the complaints can be filed on line or you can download the forms to file your complaint by mail.

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

Mar 142010

Explorer LX

I could not believe when right after I had my car washed the big cracked on the back!!! The next day after I parked my car the surprise! The cracked it was “glued” back!! That was when I realize what was happening the piece expanded and cracked. Very disappointed I took my car to a Carmetics and another surprise $1500 to fix it!!!! I do drive a lot and the same week I was driven and I saw another Ford Explore with the same crack!! I did stopped the car and ask the driver, which was very unhappy with the issue as well, what happened to his car. Same thing as mine. Called Ford and no recall. It is my problem. I have been driving and I always check for Ford Explore cracks and I always find them!! I suggest that we all Ford explorer owners should go on the TV and make it public!! I am searching for my legal rights on this matter and you all should do it too. I really take care of my car and I can’t express how mad I am with Ford indifference!!!!

- , Costa Mesa, CA, US

Dec 222006

Explorer

I had the cracked panel under the rear window as well. I closed the liftgate on a really cold afternoon and it cracked. I started noticing that almost every explorer had the same problem! FORD told me that it was not covered under the recall that was running at the time and that I was responsible for fixing it!! FORD is terrible for not standing behind their products!!! I tell everyone I know to never buy a FORD explorer!!

- , Black Rock, AR, USA

Apr 012005

Explorer Eddie Bauer 3.2L V6

The rear panel on our Explorer cracked right after it went out of warranty. Like so many other Explorers that the same had happen to. We took it to the Ford place and of course they told us it wasn't covered and there had been no recalls on it, which is strange considering there have been so many with the same problem. We took it at least 3 times to the Ford place but to no avail. It is evident that this is a product flaw, and Ford should be responsible for replacing it. We finally gave up. It's hard going up against the GIANT company.

Update from Nov 12, 2014: After asking Ford to replace the rear panel and they refused, we paid $300.00 to have a new panel put on and painted. It lasted for about 2 1/2 years. The new panel cracked in the same place as the original.

- , Fort Walton Beach, FL, US

Feb 072009

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L

one cold feb morning noticed a crack along the plastic panel below rear window. Didn't think much about it until i noticed numerous explorers with the same problem. now everytime i see a explorer i look for this defect and have counted numerous other explorers with the same problem. the dealer states this is a defect but they are not going to pay for repairs. the cost to replace this piece of plastic would be around $400.00. the question is, why should i pay for something that is a obivious defect?

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Jan 152010

Explorer XLT V6

I do not like the way Ford Motor Co has handled the known defect. They refused to repair the defect will never purchase a Ford product again.

* Don't Purchase Ford Products *

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

Feb 132010

Explorer

I've had my 2003 Ford Explorer for 3 years now, I've never had any kind of problems out of it other than the cracked panel below the rear window, cracked 2 months ago. I didn't notice it at first because my explorer is a dark green but it seems to be getting worse. At first I thought someone had hit me but it's too far up for someone to have it me, then I started noticing alot of ford explorers on the road the same year as mine with the cracked panel below the read window. This is Ford's error therefor FORD should be responsible for replacing it. Not sure why this has not already been recalled. It really makes me mad, my explorer is in very good condition other than that cracked panel and from what I've been told by several different autobody mechanics, it is a fairly expensive part to fix. I'm merely in shock that FORD will not fix this? If they can't make vehicles any better than this then they need to STOP MAKING THEM. I know alot of people who buy from FORD, but for now own I WILL be letting everyone I know who is considering buying a FORD vehicle that FORD will not replace cracks in the vehicle that they are responsible for. This is ridiculous.

- , Hernando, MS, USA

Feb 162008

click to see larger images

The back latch was fixed in a recall that we didn't even know about. We just took it in for regular service and they told us they needed to fix the rear latch. Until I found your site I assumed that the problems of the crack and the latch were related. My concern was that we were past any statute of limitations. I would love for Ford to own up to this design flaw and fix it. I'm a little concerned that folks who are getting this problem fixed on their own are told that it isn't a permanent fix - we bought this car for the long haul.

- , Greenwood, MS, US

Mar 182010

Explorer Eddie Bauer

I just find it odd that there seems to be a huge number of individuals with the 2003 model (Explorer or Eddie Bauer) that seem to have the same cracked tailgate problem. Not only the same problem, but in the exact same location on each vehicle. (to the Left of the Ford symbol on the liftgate) Obviously, there is a defect in the manufacturing of this part and should be covered for repair, regardless of warranty or mileage.

- , Apo, AP, USA

Jan 292010

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

We too thought someone hit the back of the vehicle, but the area seemed too high and there was NO OTHER damage. My husband was in a parking garage in Annapolis, Maryland (close to the Naval Academy) just this past week and noted upwards of SIX Ford Explorers with the SAME DAMAGE!!!!!

Come on Ford, don't pull a Toyota on us -- make good on this!!!!

- , Fallston, MD, USA