CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.

6.6

1. Ford should recall (222 reports)
  2. repair or replace tailgate (143 reports)
  4. replace the panel (28 reports)
  5. need a redesigned tailgate (22 reports)
  6. ford needs to pay for being fixed (13 reports)
2003 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2003 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 26 of 27)

Jan 112007

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

I woke up one morning after the Christmas holidays (after a night of frost) and my car had not been driven in 3 days nor had it been in an accident to find a 12 inch crack down the rear panel on my lift gate under the rear window and around the Ford emblem. Called the dealership and was told that this is a common problem they see but Ford will not cover it nor have they done a recall on the problem. I was told I would have to pay out of my own pocket for the repair which would be around $550. My insurance will not cover it because it's considered a factory defect. I made a formal complaint to Ford Motor Co and they are blowing me off.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Feb 042007

Explorer Limited 4.0 V8

In the shop again! This time, the plastic panel just under the rear window of my 2003 Ford Exploder cracked from top to bottom, about 2 inches left of the logo emblem. There are two other cracks that are less obvious, but through and through, extending from the main crack and towards the emblem. The car was outside in the cold (25 degrees F) and I noticed it when I closed the rear window (not sure if it was caused during the close of the window or by itself. The crack is nearly 1/4 in. wide at the top and about 1/8 inch wide at the bottom. The entire panel seems to have shrunk lengthwise by 1/4 inch and relieved itself of the stress by shattering.

Update from Jun 8, 2009: I submitted a report on this site earlier, but I thought that I would add a bit to this saga. My dealer in Cincinnati, Kings Ford, wants 448.49 to fix this. More than any other post I've seen. My warranty has expired. I called Ford customer Service and they said that I had to bring the car in to be diagnosed. Then I could call them back (presumably to tell me what others have found out - that I'm hosed). I've seen this crack on other cars as well - Mercury's too.

I am so sick of this car breaking on me. Last year, after replacing front and rear wheel bearings and a set of tires due to strange uneven wear and road noise, I found out that the fancy chrome wheels that came with the Limited edition were rotting - Yes rotting - rusting like they were left at the bottom of the ocean. And they were flexing around the hub enough to crack the chrome covering, whic is how I figured it out. (Of course, after showing the dealer - they said THEY KNEW ABOUT THIS PROBLEM - What - are you waiting for my wheels to literally fall off on the highway to tell me? Or do you think I'll be dead enough then not to care?) This is a disaster waiting to happen for anyone with these wheels. Ford did replace the wheels, but they would not do anything about the $2000 or so I had to pay for mis-diagnosed wheel bearings and tires.

Never, ever a FORD again. Go out of business the bunch of you. The sooner the better.

I'm headed to Toyota tonight. Enough already.

- , Cincinnati, OH, USA

Feb 062007

Explorer XLT V8

I called Ford myself and was told to bring it to a dealership, which I had already done but they were sold to another location before getting back to me with an answer.

When I take in to another Ford location, if they will not fix it without any cost to me, I will write a letter to Ford's Board of Directors. If I still don't get any satisfaction, I will go to the Consumer Advocate at one of the local TV stations and let them broadcast my story! That's something we all should do if Ford continues to say no.

- , Beverly, MA, USA

Feb 032007

Explorer 4.0

Some one is taking action

THANKS

- , Cayey, PR, Puerto Rico

Feb 062007

Explorer XLT 3.2L V6

I went to Purvis Ford body shop ( Fredericksburg V. A.) and was told that they receive three to four a week with the same problem and no recall has been issued. $390.00 to fix it. BBB complaint to follow.

- , Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Feb 052007

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

I contacted Ford customer service last week concerning a crack in the rear lift gate. I was told to take it to a dealer to have it "evaluated", then call them back. I did that this morning. The cost would be $310.00 to replace the plastic piece on the back. Ford customer service kept me on hold for over 20 minutes only to inform me that since I had no warranty left, they could not help me. The dealer told me today that they replace these things on a regular basis. They replaced 3 last week and 2 the week before, with who knows how many in total. I told customer service that we had been loyal Ford customers and we expected Ford to step up to the plate and take care of this. He just told me that my only recourse would be to save my receipt and if there was a recall later on, we could get reimbursed!! How many of these need to be fixed before they consider recalling this liftgate. I told customer service that it was really no surprise that Ford sales are down, since they treat their customers like this. I told him that I would tell anybody who would listen that Ford customer service stinks and encourage them to buy something else. So, I thought I would start telling people today.

- , Owensboro, KY, USA

Jan 292007

Explorer LS 3.2L V6

I got up this morning after the temperature here was 16 degrees last night and noticed mine was cracked. Has anyone had problems with the rest of the rear door with not fixing it? Also does anybody know if the dealership has started taking responsibility for this problem? Probably not.... that would be too convenient for the consumers.. the people paying their salaries. If anyone knows how I can get this fixed without paying out the ass for it let me know.

- , Knoxville, TN, USA

Jan 282007

Explorer XT 4.0

Well I dont need to write it all out again!!!!!! Same as every single one on here. I live in Canada. Are there any other Canadians with this problem, with -30 temps lately im quite worried!!!!! also has anyone had luck with their dealerships? I certainly cannot afford to keep addressing a problem like this!

- , Burlington, Ontario, Canada

Nov 072006

Explorer LX 3.2L V6

Just purchased this vehicle from my company. Drove as company car since new. The crack just appeared. They had one recall to replace the hinges on the rear windows of these vehicles. They should replace the window panels, again, as it is obviously a flaw in the material or design!

- , Katy, TX, USA

Jan 242007

Explorer Eddie Bauer

Rear liftgate panel cracked when the vehicle sat outside one evening with temperature near or below freezing. Crack is approximately 1/16 inch wide and runs vertically the length of the liftgate near the center of the liftgate. Ford dealership said full cost to repair was $322, and that Ford would pay all but $100

- , Plano, TX, USA

Jan 142007

Explorer XLT 4.0

Found this crack under my rear window. Did some searching on the web and found out that this is a VERY COMMON issue (along with the faded black trim panels around the doors). I will call the customer service # tomorrow.

- , El Dorado Hills, CA, USA

Dec 092006

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

Add our Eddie Bauer to the list. After first cold spell ( 33 in South Texas) it cracked to left of ford emblem. It's ugly on this beautiful car. I haven't gone to dealer yet , but sounds like it will do no good. We have started noticing all the explorers with this style of tailgate that have cracked in same spot. Also some expeditions. I have owned nothing but Fords for 40 years and own 5 right now. But if Ford doesn't do something about this, as much as I paid for this car , I will never own another.

- , Atascosa, TX, USA

Dec 092006

Explorer V6

Vertical crack under rear window, now water will get in the panel. I have read of many 2002 models with this problem, now it looks like its going to the 2003. They may as well close the doors at ford. PS, replacing rear end next week. That complaint is already listed

- , Mobile, AL, USA

Jan 132007

Explorer

Yesterday we noticed the 6-8 in crack from the rear window down past the Ford emblem. I plan to call the dealership today but I don't hold out much hope that this will be fixed by Ford. If I have to pay for this defect it will be the last Ford I purchase.

- , Raleigh, NC, USA

Nov 202006

Explorer XLT V6

It seems that Ford would have received the message by now that their customers are not satisfied. With the amount vehicles cost, it's a minimal investment for Ford to ensure return customers. This is not just a matter of a cracked rear valence, it's an advertisement as to the quality of craftsmanship that goes into its widest selling SUV. Come on Ford, this is why you're losing money and the foreign companies report gains. Endorse your product.

- , Spokane, WA, USA

Jan 052007

Explorer

I had the same problem and help getting it resolved. I tried to not fix it (mine cracked in a perfectly straight line and you couldn't tell it wasn't intentional. But, the crack spread and allowed water inside the rear door. Can't we do anything about this???

- , Millington, TN, USA

Jan 052007

Explorer XLT V6

Back in September I noticed a crack in the fiberglass to the right of the FORD emblem. I called my dealer and they said that it was cosmetic and only covered for 3 years/36,000 miles. Well considering I bought my vehicle used and only had a few months/miles left on the original manufactures warranty that didn't help me. A few months later I found another crack which really began to bug me since this was not anything that I had done. My best friend has the same vehicle except her's is an Eddie Bauer edition. Her's has since cracked as well and she called a different dealer who told her that the cracking is caused by a faulty seal between the window (glass) and the fiberglass which is allowing water to get in there and when it freezes it cracks the fiberglass. Her & I are putting together a letter along with this website to put on the windsheilds of all Explorer owners that we see and hopefully we will get FORD to repair this problem OF THERE'S without any charge to us. Please feel free to email me so we can get FORD to do something.

- , Kennett Square, PA, USA

Dec 122006

Explorer XLT V8

This morning I discovered the crack in the lift gate. This is definitly a problem with the design and or materials used for that part of the SUV. Ford should correct the problem.

- , Friendswood, TX, USA

Dec 132006

Explorer LX V6

the dealer wouldnt help me a bit, this really ticked me off, i had the vehicle only 2 weeks before this happened, ford should pay to replace our tailgates

- , Roanoke, VA, USA

Jan 082007

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

Add me to the list. Wow, until tonight I didn't even know this problem existed. I got my Explorer washed this afternoon and noticed two vertical cracks below the tailgate window. The crack on the right is about 6 inches long, and one on the left is about half that. I decided to do a Google search to see if by chance anyone else had this issue. I had no idea. Ford HAS to do something about this. I'm talking to my Ford Dealer tomorrow. We'll see what happens. I'll be happy to post the resolution or lack of one.

- , Kennett Square, PA, USA